Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair Stick Longlocks

Length
    21"/25/29
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Default Hair Stick Longlocks

http://www.longlocks.com/cakespecial...air-sticks.htm
    I really like this Longlocks hair stick and have asked for a rec'd pricing for the single stick. I'm in a bit of sticker shock, but I haven't bought hair toys or make up this year - gasp!
    For those you who own one of her sticks please tell me the good and the bad. Do they break easily, are there any special care instructions? If I'm going to order I need to do so soon, 10th anniversary trip to Paris in May and would like to have some nicer hair toys for trip.
    Side bar - feel free to enable with other sites of pretties.
    Thanks

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

wooow that is insane for 1 single hair stick!!!! the most I have paid is 30 per stick. If you go on e-bay and search for hair sticks you will find a ton of them. Also etsy has alot of beautiful hairsticks as well. Here Here is a beauty. I beleive the maker is on LHC here.
    Last edited by lora410; March 20th, 2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Add link
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I like the style of a lot of her sticks, and then I look at the price and go personally I think its madness to pay that much for a pair of sticks, but then again graydogs are even more expensive (and I think that's even more madness ) personally I won't pay that much, because I think its way overpriced.
    Lady Lavandula of the Nighttime Fields in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lavenderblue View Post
    I like the style of a lot of her sticks, and then I look at the price and go personally I think its madness to pay that much for a pair of sticks, but then again graydogs are even more expensive (and I think that's even more madness ) personally I won't pay that much, because I think its way overpriced.

I paid 30$ for my graydog hairpin and it is by far the best hairstick i've owned. Now the forks can get a wee bit expensive when bidding. They haven't had any on auction except knitting needles in quite some time
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

back to the South, where my heart will always lie!
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Hi atlantaz3! I highly recommend yourcrowningglory on Etsy for similar styles. If you're interested in more casual, natural styles, thefargrove and speharb are two other wonderful Etsy sellers. Good luck!
    Lady Nynaeve ti al'Meara Mandragoran of the Rising Shadow in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Proud member of the Official Hair Idiots Club

Length
    chin/33/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I am *very* suspicious of people who charge way too much for their sticks. That stick you linked to better have 14 karat gold and real diamonds for that price! You can only make a stick so nice, after a certain point it's the seller who's just charging for his/her inflated ego.

I further recommend yourcrowninglory. Her sticks are nice, sturdy, and the shipping cost isn't absurdly high. I also love love maiden's treasures (not on etsy). High quality sticks and high quality materials, and they are open to custom orders. Prices are reasonable; I've never seen anything over 36 bucks. And most stuff is 30 and under.

Type
    1c/M/ii

Those sticks are gorgeous and there does seem to be a well-established clientele with plenty of repeat buyers.

It's purely a subjective matter, whether an item is "worth" what the artist is requesting. The high-end items are guaranteed, you know you are getting the highest quality materials and know-how, there's a lot riding on the satisfaction of their buyers.

Yet you can get lovely items for much less money, and be pleased with the results. Whether you will be getting the same level of craftsmanship, the highest quality materials, maybe not. But maybe you are getting the "next" Graydog, or finding you can order two nice sets of sticks with what you would have paid for the one striking set.

Only you can make that sort of decision. Such a gorgeous stick, though; one you will have for years to come if you care of it properly. And it sounds like you're looking to procure it for a very special event, too, which tips the scale towards the Longlocks stick, too.

A once in a lifetime purchase for a once in a lifetime trip, maybe? You are not going to be disappointed in the expensive stick, so long as you are willing to spend the money and then let it go, not worry about the cost anymore.

Length
    21"/25/29
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LifeisAdventure View Post
    Hi atlantaz3! I highly recommend yourcrowningglory on Etsy for similar styles. If you're interested in more casual, natural styles, thefargrove and speharb are two other wonderful Etsy sellers. Good luck!
    I'm waiting on speharb to make a custom fork for me. He had to order the glass for a bead. Glad to hear he got good reviews. And I just realized I fibbed - I did order a dymondwood hair stick off etsy - blonde alzheimers. It was around $15. BTW the single stick is $59. The dh thought I was a bit mad, but it's my allowance so he won't fuss. I had made up my mind it was too much - then

Peggy E - ack! thanks for tipping the scales back. I'll sleep on it another night - been "waffling" for about a week now!
    But you make a good point about having something really nice for the trip - particularly if I hold out and wear it for the first time there! I do tend to be the kind of person to save up and wait for what I really want rather than settling.
    Last edited by atlantaz3; March 20th, 2008 at 02:37 PM.

Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by prosperina View Post
    I am *very* suspicious of people who charge way too much for their sticks. That stick you linked to better have 14 karat gold and real diamonds for that price! You can only make a stick so nice, after a certain point it's the seller who's just charging for his/her inflated ego.

I further recommend yourcrowninglory. Her sticks are nice, sturdy, and the shipping cost isn't absurdly high. I also love love maiden's treasures (not on etsy). High quality sticks and high quality materials, and they are open to custom orders. Prices are reasonable; I've never seen anything over 36 bucks. And most stuff is 30 and under.

The price showing on the site link - wasn't that for a pair? Your single stick would have been more like, what, $40-$45? Which is, admittedly, a lot of money, but I've seen worse/higher priced sticks!

Length
    chin/33/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Maybe, but 59 is still too much. With many of the sellers I patronize, I get two sticks for under 40. Most I've paid was 35 (for too sticks) and 20 for one. And, admittedly, I am a grad student, so what I am willing to pay is significantly lower than many people. I ultimately think if you can afford something and you want it, you oughta buy it. Plus, if it's your special item that you've been wanting for along time, you oughta get it, because then it's worth it. I was just saying that there are other *considerably* cheaper items that are just as nice. That's all.

ETA: atlantaz3, if you order a stick named Monet, you'll have to go to Monet's garden in Giverney (just outside Paris) and take pictures of your hair and this stick amongst the flowers.
    Last edited by prosperina; March 20th, 2008 at 03:15 PM.