Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Need signature help? This is the thread for you!

Length
    shldr/bsl/bsl
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Okay, I reduced the file size of my pic to 7 kb (I had to do this in Photoshop Elements, using "Save for Web..." and a compression quality of 40 (out of 100) to do it), and I still do not get the "Insert Signature Picture" hyperlink on my Edit Signature page. Now I don't know what is wrong. The dimensions of my pic are 167 x 200 pixels. Help?
    Cut back from waist to BSL--I like here and I think I'll stay awhile 2c/f/ii

hairstuff gallery Stacy's nature photography

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Snowbear, I didn't mean it like that! I was just thinking out loud in my confusion. I completely agree with you that whatever changes were made are for the better if it means we get LHC back.

ok i made it 8.68kb and its still not working. Plus my profile pic is not working either. What i've been doing is shrinking it on paint...is that not the right way to shrink it?
    Lady Aufaniae of the Restoring Song in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Inadvertent Tech Support snowbear's Avatar
    Length
    42/Short/N/A
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Stacy_E View Post
    Okay, I reduced the file size of my pic to 7 kb (I had to do this in Photoshop Elements, using "Save for Web..." and a compression quality of 40 (out of 100) to do it), and I still do not get the "Insert Signature Picture" hyperlink on my Edit Signature page. Now I don't know what is wrong. The dimensions of my pic are 167 x 200 pixels. Help?
    You picture is 28.91kb. This is probably the problem. Maybe try shrinking it down, and then try again?
    The formerly mythical snowbear is alive and well.
    Be smarter, daily!

Quote Originally Posted by chloeishere View Post
    ARGH! I can't get my image below 9.8 k! I'm using shrinkpictures.com, and even though it SAYS:
    Your original image was 500 W by 576 H and 83662 bytes, it has been reduced to 173 W by 200 H and 6303 bytes, when I actually right click on the picture and hit properties, it shows 13-16 kb actual size. SO FRUSTRATING! I think I'm about ready to give up.
    Anyone else know what to do? Resizing in photoshop never gets it small enough to post, and if I lower the quality in photoshop, it looks like butt.

I'm about ready to give up! But I know how useful signatures are in identifying people, so I'd like to stick with the same one I had before the site went down for a few weeks. On the other hand, I'm at a loss as to how to reduce the size, since shrinkpictures has changed and is now lying to me.
    chloeishere, I have been playing around with your siggy and I can not get it to work. Please be patient while some of these issues are resolved.

Length
    42/Short/N/A
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by NightingaleLHC View Post
    Snowbear, I didn't mean it like that! I was just thinking out loud in my confusion. I completely agree with you that whatever changes were made are for the better if it means we get LHC back.

ok i made it 8.68kb and its still not working. Plus my profile pic is not working either. What i've been doing is shrinking it on paint...is that not the right way to shrink it?
    Heh, I know. I just thought I'd liven up this thread.

Your profile picture is showing up just fine. It's a picture of a bird. (ETA: Now it's also your avatar image.)
    Paint is a great program for picture shrinking. I can't think of why it's not uploading properly.
    Be smarter, daily!

Length
    ?/35/48
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by NightingaleLHC View Post
    What format is your picture in? Doesn't Paint use .bmp as the default format? Bitmaps are uncompressed, and they end up bigger than .jpg or .gif files. Try changing your file type to .jpg and see what happens.
    Lady Tockene of the Motherboarde My Albums

Length
    shldr/bsl/bsl
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by snowbear View Post
    You picture is 28.91kb. This is probably the problem. Maybe try shrinking it down, and then try again?
    How do you get the 28.91kb number? I right-click-"properties" on my uploaded sig photo and it says 6.645kb.
    Cut back from waist to BSL--I like here and I think I'll stay awhile 2c/f/ii

hairstuff gallery Stacy's nature photography

Humanist/Procrastinatrix chloeishere's Avatar
    Length
    16nck/~BSL/here!
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by harpgal View Post
    chloeishere, I have been playing around with your siggy and I can not get it to work. Please be patient while some of these issues are resolved.
    Oh, please don't think I'm mad about it! I just mean I'll probably give it up for today, because there's nothing really that I can do, and it's not worth stressing about. It's not really an LHC problem either, I did send a message to the shrinkpictures people about the problem I'm having (I was nice, of course!), so we'll see if they can get it resolved on that end.

OOOh, wait, I just figured it out! I tried doing "Save for Web" in Adobe Photoshop (I have CS2), using JPG low, and got it down to 2.24 kb. It looks pretty grainy, but it's good enough for now! Thanks for your help, Harpgirl!

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Turns out I meant avatar not profile pic...oops. But thats weird because I don't see my picture. Maybe I am underestimating the size of my picture too? Isn't properties supposed to tell you though? It is .jpg

Oh wait there it is! hooray!
    Last edited by NightingaleLHC; March 7th, 2008 at 05:33 PM. Reason: There it is!! (avatar) hooray!
    Lady Aufaniae of the Restoring Song in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    42/Short/N/A
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Stacy_E View Post
    How do you get the 28.91kb number? I right-click-"properties" on my uploaded sig photo and it says 6.645kb.
    I clicked properties on the image you currently have in your sig.
    Be smarter, daily!