Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feel a bit like crying...

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Feel a bit like crying...

My hair, it seems, has gotten worse since we've moved to the UK.

This was my hair back in Georgia:

And my hair this morning, after 5 months in England:

I can't help it; I feel like bursting into to tears. What happened? It looked so thick and healthy, with a pretty good hemline back in the states. (Not entirely sure when we took that photo. Perhaps 2011/2012.) Now, it looks incredibly scraggly, with thinning ends, and looks like it's gotten shorter! I know I must have trimmed it back at some point, but surely, it would have grown back. I can't remember the last time I actually had a full-on trim, just S&D.

I know back in Georgia, I had a nice routine of daily oiling with EVOO with a CO wash each night. Here, the water is so hard, that I when I tried to take up my normal routine, my hair just didn't feel right, more coarse and unmanageable, and this was with EVOO and CO-wash. Since then, I've been trying to find a suitable routine and new products, to include the use of cones. I've even tried to stretch my washes, but I can't go for more than a day or so before my scalp gets itchy and I shed massive amounts the next time I do wash. Occasionally, it feels good, but clearly, it's not helping, if today's photo is any indication.

I may have to seriously consider getting a shower softener and see if it makes a difference.

Sorry to whinge on so badly. It's just incredibly discouraging to see the glaring difference in my hair. If there's anywhere that can understand my hair feelings, it's here on the LHC.

Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Feel a bit like crying...

We have very hard water where we live and limescale is always building up on our taps & kettle etc very quickly. Do you get the same thing? We attached a water filter to our shower pipe and it has made a huge difference. Not just to our hair and skin, but shampoo also lasts a lot longer. If you live in a hard water area it can have a big effect on your hair. We got ours from Amazon. They last us a few months at a time before we need to change. I hope you find something that works for you! Stay cheerful!
    Last edited by Arien; February 22nd, 2015 at 10:05 AM.

Shoulder APL BSL Waist Hip TBL

Account Closed by Member Request

whoa, im feeling very sorry for you right now. :,(
    its mich shorter indeed and that after three years where it would have to grow about 18".
    i dont want to upset you more then you already are, but sugar coating wont help you either. no matter what it is that is causing you hair to break off (i can imagine water hardness and high porosity for example dont go well), find it, change it, get your hair back. the fullness seems to be there, so i dont see why i wouldnt be growing back. buy that filter or for goodness sake wash your hair with mineral water, but dont let something like this ruin your expirience of growing long.
    have you used anything to chelate after you moved to the UK. i didnt when i lived in another city where the wter was also super hard and my hair was definitely much dryer, it did not really break, but that doesnt mean anything.
    and just to be sure, i would consult a doctor, because in case something is wrong with your scalp, the earlier you know it the better.
    i hope you can improve your situation soon. big hug!

Length
    Tbl/mbl/cl
    Type
    3a/F/i

I have seen this happen with one case of iron deficiency but also the water filter would be a must. You might have to buy bottled water to wash your hair. If I were you, I would try to use the exact same products i used in the US with a water filter or bottled water to start. That might help some.
    Best wishes I will pray for your hair
    Last edited by MsVenus; February 22nd, 2015 at 10:30 AM.

MBL, Next Goals: WL, HL, TBL, Classic length

Length
    19/28/33
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Try a diluted vinegar rinse to finish your shower routine next time you shower, and then seal the damp ends with the oil your hair is friendliest with. ACV rinses can make my hair angry if I do them too much but every once in a while it's a good thing, it counteracts the buildup of hard water. If you're using a brush, stop, and use a wide toothed comb or just your fingers to detangle. You may do this already, but it will help with breakage of dry ends to baby your hair. It looks like your hair has had a lot of breakage, probably because of the hard water... also make sure you are eating a balanced diet and add a multivitamin or a hair/nail vitamin to supplement. If you don't already, wear your hair up in protective styles and get a satin or silk pillow case or sleep cap - my hair used to break pretty easily and making this switch really helped!

That your scalp gets itchy after only a day says to me that you might have a skin problem there or that there might be build up of something your are reacting to on your scalp. It might be good to see your doctor in that case. I agree with suggestions above that a water filter on your shower will help. There are tea rinses that you can do too that help with slip and shine (Catnip comes to mind, and chamomile) that are also good for your scalp.

But most importantly don't lose hope! We are here to support you, and you still have beautiful hair, it seems like you just need to find a new routine to care for it where you are living now. Try making a list of things you still love about your hair, and another list of things you will try out to see if it helps your hair, and try the things on the second list one at a time to see what works best for you. Support and hugs and hang in there!
    Growgrowgrow!
    SLH/APL/BSL/MBL/Waist

Length
    36/BCL/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

I am so sorry Kaya
    I am familiar with both the States and UK. I believe it has something to do with the hard water in the UK (especially if you're located in the south east, water is the hardest there). I have moved around the globe a few times and i had to change my hair care routine every time i relocated because products would stop working possibly due to the water hardness/softness. It took some time to adjust and figure out what worked and what did not but the one thing that always helped was oiling my hair and ACV rinses lately.
    How about your general physical and mental health, lifestyle and diet? Hormonal imbalances or deficiencies can cause massive sheds as you know. I'd keep an eye on that and ask a doctor to run blood tests just to be on the safe side. My iron and calcium deficiencies combined with high stress/anxiety levels (that lead to poor eating habits) resulted in a massive shed years ago. My ends got see through, i had to cut back 5 or more inches. Hair is filling in nicely again now. I hope you'll find a solution soon.

P.S: I second MINAKO's suggestion about chelating.

“You are only afraid if you are not in harmony with yourself.” H. Hesse

has notorious buns Wildcat Diva's Avatar
    some kind of hunting lodge for rich weirdos
    Length
    16/35/real
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Oh gosh! I'm so sad you are having this problem.

I tried doing something different with water. I made a thread about it on here. Miracle water, revisited. That's the thread title.

Biggest problem with it for me is that with this method I don't have good water pressure now, so I have backed off from using it a few weeks due to this. But it worked well. I'll use it again.

You'll need for this some citric acid and vitamin C powder.

For now, I would switch to bottled water if you can and then sort out a more permanent solution. I wash once a week, maybe you could try stretching washes to something like that if it's a good idea scalp wise?

Rooibos tea in a misting bottle might help your scalp to stretch to weekly washes?

HTH.

ETA: I didn't read carefully enough about scalp issue. That's going to take some work. Maybe the acidic miracle water washes will help it? I see you can't stretch now. I hope you figure this out with more help.
    Last edited by Wildcat Diva; February 22nd, 2015 at 11:56 AM.

Length
    12/20/30hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

A shower filter or bottled water sounds like a good idea, but if it's not in your budget, maybe get a pitcher and fill it with water the night before to let it sit (you could even boil it first?). Maybe add a squeeze of lemon juice to it. Sort of a chelating rinse. I believe there is a thread on it. I don't do CO washes because it makes me shed like crazy. I do have a lot of chlorine in my water. So I use a sulfate free shampoo and once a week I use a small medicine cup to mix 1/2 shampoo & 1/2 ACV and wash with that. It makes my hair feel great and hardly any hair loss when I do it. Now, I'm wondering if I could add the ACV to conditioner with the same results?
    Growing... to see how far I can go!
    Lady Arinna of the Sunlit Skies in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Who let the owls out... Hootenanny's Avatar
    Length
    Pixie/Waist/TB
    Type
    3b/M/ii/iii

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. The water where I live is very hard, and I just want to second Wildcat Diva's advice about trying miracle water. I do a final rinse with citric acid added to distilled water, and it has made a huge difference for my hair. Also, Minako is right that you should try chelating to get the minerals out. I really hope you find a solution!
    Pixie (7/2011) - APL (7/2013) - BSL (4/2014) - Waist when curly (2/2015) - Hip - TBL - ?

Have you checked with a doctor whether you have something like a vitamin deficiency?