Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can dyed blonde hair ever be healthy?

Length
    apl/tlb/solid
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Can dyed blonde hair ever be healthy?

Thanks for all the advice, it is much appreciated. I am so happy to have a group of knowledgeable LHCers to consult with! Lapushkra yes I read your post, cheers.
    I have tried colour B4 and it only lightened the hair closest to my roots, below my ears there was barely a shift and this was after 2-3 treatments.

So feel free to cast your votes, it seems like I have 3 options

a- stay a hennahead
    pros: long shiney healthy hair cons: mismatched hair color to skin color

b- try to veer hair colour twds ash tones and then grow out virgin hair

please advise on 'how to' do that with elumen (did not quite understand), manic panic or pravana

pros: hair health remains good cons: it may take 4-5 years to get the hair I want by which point I may start to gray and then will have to consider dyeing the gray!!

c- go wild and bleach all my hair and then dye it with an ash blonde-brown tone at a salon, then have it cut to around ear length to cut out damage

pros: I end up quickly with smtg close to the colour I want cons: expensive, I lose 8 years of hair growth in one day

Cast your votes!!
    Last edited by indigonight; February 15th, 2015 at 07:55 PM.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I'd go with b) growing out natural color!

(a) would not solve the tone mismatch problem, it will only entrench the situation; and c) would really damage the hair.)

Since I have no experience with henna, I can't really be of much help as to how to tone down henna best with deposit-only dyes, but I'll be happy to answer any questions about the general growing out process, if you have any. Yes, it's challenging, but oh so worth it!

Length
    apl/tlb/solid
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

Thanks meteor, I am hoping those who have experience with making henna lean twds more ashen brown can chime in and tell me how best to achieve that, ie what colour should I buy in manic panic, pravana, elumen (BB?) etc.

I appreciate the input.

Account Closed by Member Request

i would go with b. using as many color remover applications as you can bear and then tone it like i described before. there will probably be still a color variation, but eventually itwill sort of blend together. and nobod says you cant use temporary dyes on your newgrowth to make it blend even better.

the only thing i can recommend for the clashing skintone is a yellow based primer and/or a completely different makeup shade thats yellow based. theres always more than one way to make colors match, but personally i wouldnt want to take that option and just get rid of the henna. you have to set some priorities for yourself, asking us is not going to be safe either, you might regret going for what the majority would do.

ETA: for the toning part i would go with pravana. it has the most even color pay off and is much more lasting than most other brands. i suggested the neon shades because these have enogh pigment to counteract the red without makin hair significantly darker at the same time.
    Last edited by MINAKO; February 15th, 2015 at 08:35 PM.

Length
    apl/tlb/solid
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

Thanks so much Minako. I appreciate the advice. It does seem b is the more sensible option.

Do you think a pravana dye in blue would push the orange-red henna towards an ash colour?
    I would just like to get my hair to a colour where the new growth does not clash so much with the old!!

To add to the complications:
    There is lots of clash as I hennaed over hair that was originally
    a-dyed peroxide blonde - I used to bleach my hair before I became a hennahead-, so in those parts the henna is very light and orange as you can see in my profile pic

b- then I hennaed over darker roots so that hair is more burgundy

c- due to that I actually bleached a few streaks into my henna at the top part of my hair about 2 months ago so that my top growth would have some more orange streaks in it to match those at the bottom..
    Yes indeed, I play a lot with my hair!!!

I love henna but sometimes I think, if only I knew...
    Last edited by indigonight; February 15th, 2015 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by indigonight View Post
    Thanks so much Minako. I appreciate the advice. It does seem b is the more sensible option.

Do you think a pravana dye in blue would push the orange-red henna towards an ash colour?
    I would just like to get my hair to a colour where the new growth does not clash so much!!
    yes, that what i understood, avoiding he duo color effect and also avoiding the bleaching will probably be more work, but worth it in the end. i cant tell how your hair will come out after using the color remover. but i can imagine that the neon blue would be a good base and depending on the hue you would have to mix in a small part of either green or violet.
    i will try to find a picture of the chart. using a lighter, very intense blue will help not to drop to much in color level.

Length
    apl/tlb/solid
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

OK thanks, Minako. By the way I looked at your profile and you have absolutely gorgeous hair!! I will definitely look into it, blue-green neon pravana makes sense. I will have to strand test.

Thank goodness I know where to look for hair to strand test with. I have noticed loads of hair clogs in my hoover shafts (yuk yes but true) so when I clean out the bottom of my vacuum that amassed hair is useful for experiments!!

http://www.salonauraofwausau.com/0_0...pg?u=681731402

heres the chart. you can find these colors on ebay or amazon in the states i guess. right now if the hue doesnt change my betwould be three parts neon blue and one part neon green, most likely dilluted with conditioner. if it comes out more on the yellow/orangey side after the color i would replce the green part with the lucious lavender of the pastell range. it possible thatblue alone will be ok too, but the ration will be kinda easy to find out before using it on the entire hair.
    thank you for the compliment im using the dark blue and dark green and a little goes a long way for me keeping my color cool toned but natural looking.

Length
    17/45/40
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

I personally haven't removed henna, but I've removed plenty of hair dye mistakes! I believe that with the right care - lots of treatments and babying your hair whenever you can - bleached hair can DEFINITELY be healthy. We damage our hair everyday by doing the simplest of activities and while adding color or even removing color is significantly more damage done at once, you can certainly help limit the effect. Like I've said, I've colored my hair a lot - black, brown, almost-blonde (too much red), red, back to brown, dark brown, and finally red again...you get the point! With a little TLC, my hair looks the healthiest it's ever been now and I've consistently kept up with coloring my roots, so I think your hair will survive it if you choose to take the plunge!

About two years ago, I did a bleach wash to remove my previous bad dye jobs and it worked wonders. I just took a small packet of powdered bleach that I purchased at Sally's Beauty Supply mixed with Suave Clarifying Shampoo, scrubbed it through my hair and left it for a few minutes (a bit longer where a lot of dye had been saturated), then rinsed and did a massive deep conditioning treatment. My ends suffered a little, so I did have to remove an inch or two, but otherwise, it lightened my hair pretty closely to what my natural color had been. I'd recommend doing more research before attempting this method just in case the bleach wash reacts differently with henna.

Best of luck!

Length
    jaw/SL/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Bleached blonde can be healthy, it takes a bit more maintenance to keep it healthy but it is possible. However, bleaching out henna to blonde is another story. 2 years ago I attempted just that and let me assure you it was the worst condition my hair has ever been in. First of all you can never completely get the henna out, it will always be brassy and almost metallic looking. Mine would literally snap off during brushing and stretch like a spaghetti noodle while wet. The excessive damage was simply from the amount of bleach and volume that I had to use to even lift it at all. Ill attach a picture of it, Maybe I should create a thread just so everyone can see what happens...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Long hair/ natural hair care friendly hair stylist