Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you are 50 or over... do you wear your hair down when you go out?

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default If you are 50 or over... do you wear your hair down when you go out?

Yes, just wondering about this - how many of you (I will be "one of you" in a couple of months) wear your hair loose when you are out and about? Do you do it regularly? Rarely? Do you get compliments/sideways glances/rude remarks when you do? Are you happy doing it? And why am I feeling vaguely uncomfortable at the thought of doing it myself, even though I enjoy wearing my hair down? Mumbling to myself.... Anyway, tell us your experiences/thoughts on the subject.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Type
    1a/F/i

Default Re: If you are 50 or over... do you wear your hair down when you go out?

I wear mine down all the time.

I have never had any negative comments about my hair. No one has ever told me I can't have it long at my age. I have either had compliments, or nothing at all. Actually, in my experience, I have had more positive comments about my long hair, and nearly none when it was average length.

Personally, I can not imagine people claiming you can't/shouldn't have long hair at an older age. It makes no sense to me. I think long hair that is healthy and well cared for is very pretty. I admire it. Unless if it were obviously uncared for.

Certain women do look nice with short haircuts, and maybe some wouldn't look as good with long hair. It would depend on several factors and preferences.

I have never experienced any negativity myself.
    Last edited by Hopeful65; February 10th, 2015 at 12:31 PM. Reason: typo

Length
    7/BSL/IDK
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: If you are 50 or over... do you wear your hair down when you go out?

I'll be 61 tomorrow. My hair is not quite BSL, so it's really not that long, and I wear it down most of the time. I have not gotten negative comments, but certainly second looks which may or may not be negative. I have gotten many compliments and even a few people who have felt the need to touch it.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful65 View Post
    I wear mine down all the time.

I have never had any negative comments about my hair. No one has ever told me I can't have it long at my age. I have either had compliments, or nothing at all. Actually, in my experience, I have had more positive comments about my long hair, and nearly none when it was average length.

Personally, I can not imagine people claiming you can't/shouldn't have long hair at an older age. It makes no sense to me. I think long hair that is healthy and well cared for is very pretty. I admire it. Unless if it were obviously uncared for.

Certain women do look nice with short haircuts, and maybe some wouldn't look as good with long hair. It would depend on several factors and preferences.

I have never experienced any negativity myself.
    This is most encouraging - thank you Hopeful65!
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    12/28/*hip*
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Let me see... I have three lady coworkers, no wait four, that are 50+ and have long hair.

Number one just combed out her waist lenght dreadlocks and her hair is like a mop, in a good way. She never wears it NOT down. A lot, wavy, always a giant stormblown looking mess, while still looking cool. Before she had the dreads it was waist length bright blonde, before that she was tricolore with random chunks of red and brown and blonde, and beforw that she was blue. All done when she was 50+ and it all looked amazing.

Number two is always between shoulder length and apl+, nicely dyed brown because she isn't ready for gray yet. Either wears it loose or in two braids.

Number three is growing it out, she is now 50/50 hair down/wearing hairsticks muhahaha,

And number four has beautiful white hair that she always wears in a halfup or loose, at apl.

So, I say, wear it down! I find all this talk about age appropriate hairstyles a lot more surprising and weird than seeing 50+ ladies with their hair down. Just do it

Not me, but my mother is 60 with mid back gorgeous blonde hair and she wears it down 98% of the time and it's beautiful and she gets compliments on it.

Length
    chin/MBL/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

well, I'm considering the same question as when I was 30 I didn't like long hair on people over 40 (let alone 50) but I am 40 in a few months and love my hair so I am going to keep my hair long forever as it is so much fun!
    I think if you look after your hair it can look gorgeous whatever your age, if it suits your face and your style then go for it. I have one colleague over 50 with long hair and it looks awful because she doesn't look after it and it ages her. Another has beautiful long hair and I have serious hair envy. I have never heard a bad comment about it and we really are judgemental where I work!!

Finally APL, next is BSL Sterlyn's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/23/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I wear my hair down when out often enough. Any negative remarks were never from strangers. Although DH has said he's seen some nasty withering looks, all from women, I try not to fault people for an opinion that shows on their face, and to remember not everyone likes long or silver hair. Occasionally people do just stare, which I try and ignore. Hubby's theory is that people are trying to figure out my age, since my hair and face don't seem to match. A very few times (3?maybe) I've had complete strangers come up and tell me they like my hair.

Really most of the time going out with long hair is uneventful and 98% of the time my hair isn't a factor in my interactions with people.
    Last edited by Sterlyn; February 10th, 2015 at 04:51 PM. Reason: fixing typos

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I only wear it down sometimes because it goes all over the place and gets into everything. When I do wear it down, occasionally I get a compliment, but most of the time I get nothing. Nobody has said anything negative about it in a long time - only my father years ago. He still likes the way women wore their hair in the 1950s, short and body permed and roller-styled. He says I would look younger if I got a style like his second wife had when he met her.

Length
    16 in/25 in/????
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

I have only gotten a few positive comments on my just shy of hip length hair. One was at Walmart in the accessory isle. An middle aged lady was looking at heat free curlers and I showed her the ones I use occasionally. She told me my looked so healthy I had it in a simple English braid. The girls that worked on my 40th class reunion always told me how pretty and shiny my hair was when I wore it down. I don't wear it down out often but, now that I have learned the lazy wrap pony(Sarahlabyrinth,thank you for that style) I will wear it down more often.