Page 3 of 114 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Hairtoy time-out support thread

Length
    13/31/Donno
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Hairtoy time-out support thread

So as the queen bee enabler, I kinda feel like I should join this, if I'm allowed. I've been infected with a destash fever by an irl long haired friend. And while I've made some progress, there is still way more to make.

I was thinking of starting an opinion thread, but maybe this would work here. I've been taking really great action shots of my toys specifically for comparison purposes. Like all of my Jeterforks, but also all of my "blue" toys. I've found it really helpful in destashing to have good quality photos of my toys IN MY HAIR. So I know this is as good as this one looks. And I can ask myself, "do i love it?" "Does this one look better?" It also lets me rank my toys - like my favorite LIs.

This worked really well for some things, but for others I get stuck. Like I have two shedua Jeterforks and two Vera wood jeters. I'm having trouble choosing between them. But as soon as I can I will be at 10 Jeters. And that is STILL an insane number of forks, and it's *just* one maker. Could I post those here and you all help me pick between them? Or is that enabling?

Could I post all 12 of my Jeter photos and you all help me narrow it down to a top 5? Can I do this for other makers? Is that enabling?

Don't get me started on LadyIduns, ficcare...or tusks.

Goals: bring my total stash to less than 100 toys. I don't have a firm count but I think I have less than 200. Probaby in the 160-175 range. 100 is a mini goal with the aim of bringing it to 50 in the end. I'm not even sure 50 is attainable. I would need to un-dragon A LOT for that. But imagine the pure cream that 50 would be. . And I could wear them all 7ish time a year : ! Dare I even hope for 31? I could wear everything in one month. (I have more ficcare than that, I'm almost ashamed to say.) Wow that would be ballzy.
    ISO: Medium or Small leopard, border, or silky Logo ficcare
    Pixie to TBL. Cut back to waist, thinking of going shorter

Length
    ??/27/36+
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Not my thread, but I'd say sure, post comparison pics! I don't think it would enable me. I have a very specific list of things I still would like to have.

Length
    SL/33/50
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Majorane View Post
    No, I'm going to chase enablers out. Here we say 'That TT? Well it's not the best color of wood for your hair, and have you seen that inlay? So 2014.' Or 'The grains on that Jeter do remind me something fierce of a *bleeeeep* with a *bleep* doing *bleeeeeeeeeeep*.

Enables begone!

Also, Rushli and Minako: ....spoilsports!!!
    I could join if you dont count all the custom orders I am already talking to makers about....

Quote Originally Posted by Quasiquixotic View Post
    So as the queen bee enabler, I kinda feel like I should join this, if I'm allowed. I've been infected with a destash fever by an irl long haired friend. And while I've made some progress, there is still way more to make.

I was thinking of starting an opinion thread, but maybe this would work here. I've been taking really great action shots of my toys specifically for comparison purposes. Like all of my Jeterforks, but also all of my "blue" toys. I've found it really helpful in destashing to have good quality photos of my toys IN MY HAIR. So I know this is as good as this one looks. And I can ask myself, "do i love it?" "Does this one look better?" It also lets me rank my toys - like my favorite LIs.

This worked really well for some things, but for others I get stuck. Like I have two shedua Jeterforks and two Vera wood jeters. I'm having trouble choosing between them. But as soon as I can I will be at 10 Jeters. And that is STILL an insane number of forks, and it's *just* one maker. Could I post those here and you all help me pick between them? Or is that enabling?

Could I post all 12 of my Jeter photos and you all help me narrow it down to a top 5? Can I do this for other makers? Is that enabling?

Don't get me started on LadyIduns, ficcare...or tusks.

Goals: bring my total stash to less than 100 toys. I don't have a firm count but I think I have less than 200. Probaby in the 160-175 range. 100 is a mini goal with the aim of bringing it to 50 in the end. I'm not even sure 50 is attainable. I would need to un-dragon A LOT for that. But imagine the pure cream that 50 would be. . And I could wear them all 7ish time a year : ! Dare I even hope for 31? I could wear everything in one month. (I have more ficcare than that, I'm almost ashamed to say.) Wow that would be ballzy.
    I would participate in this, but think it would be enabling. Just knowing that discarded toys would be going up for sale would be hard to pass up if anything was on my wish list. (just shows my lack of self control!!!!)

June 2022 chopped back to WL (33”)
    Fixing autoimmune issues, insulin resistance, mental health and inflammation with the bonus of losing 80 pounds (60+ to go) and growing stronger hair and nails.

Length
    Pixie/Hip/Cl+
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I so need this thread. I told myself I was buying a piccolo this semester and NO hair toys, so of course I ended up with a piccolo and some Ead sticks. Cheaper than some toys, but I told myself I wouldn't buy anything and I just did it anyway. I nearly bought a Jeter today but I told myself that I have one 2 prong and one 3 prong and they're both different woods, so anything I would want to get is already too similar to what I already have. I think I'm putting myself in time out til graduation in May. Of course by then, I won't be getting financial aid anymore and might end up on a longer time out than I thought. But I've got enough pretties to last me a while. I just wish I had a red stick of some kind. Ack! No I don't!
    Pixie...Chin...Shoulder...Collarbone...APL...BSL...Waist...Hip...Tailbone...Classic

Length
    17/23/29
    Type
    3c/C/iii

Quasi, I think that would enable me. I don't know what others think but pictures of hair toys here would get me going....I know from experience. ..
    <a href=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg.html target=_blank>[IMG]<a href=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg target=_blank>http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...psb7di14pc.jpg</a></a>[/IMG]</a>Proud to be a tightly curly!
    (SL-APL-BSL-Midback-Waist!)

Spatially Disoriented Charybdis's Avatar
    Length
    chin/tbl/clsc
    Type
    2b/M/iii

So, my deal with hair toys at this point is that I'm not going to buy any more variations of ones I already have until I learn to use the majority of my stash.

Here's a complete list of the stash, with an asterisk next to the ones in active use:

* one pair of 6" Ead sticks
    * two pairs of 5" Ead sticks
    a single 5" Ead stick (was part of a pair, 2nd stick broke due to a defect in the material)
    * one Princess Eve TT
    one smallish 3-prong Grahtoe fork (swap board purchase)
    two large Ficcare Maximas (recently purchased from the current collections)
    one Quattro Starlites combo fork set
    one France Luxe 2-prong fork
    one small ornamental 3-prong comb (swapboard purchase, too small to hold up my hair but could be used to accent a bun if I could figure out how)
    * various cheap hair ties, scrunchies, and hair pins

As you can see, sticks are my go-to. I really want to make the Ficcares work, but have been struggling, as they tend to slip under the weight of my hair, or get ejected because I've tried to clip too thick a section of hair. I also think the Grahtoe and the Quattro forks have real potential, but I've not found the right buns for those yet (possibly need longer hair?). The France Luxe fork and the ornamental comb I've pretty much given up on.

MUST RESIST URGE TO BUY MORE STICKS. MUST LEARN MORE HAIR STYLES.

Length
    Chin/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Sounds like where I belong right now.

I still have stuff coming in the mail. *MUST BREAK THE CYCLE*
    ~APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL -TBL - Classic - Beyond~ Currently at 43 inches
    Lady Sitir, Keeper of the Cloud-Grazing Flock in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    YouTube:My Science Project|Hair Videos|Mental Health Videos

Length
    12/28/*hip*
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Wow! I go to bed after opening a half-joking complaint about the enablers (bless your hearts) and now we're three pages already! Awesome.
    Seriously, I am glad I'm not the only one that gets greedy from all the pretties that go around. I don't need them! I have more than enough sticks and forks and combs and, oh dear, let us not forget all the combinations one can make with a changethebeadstick. Will that one holly TT with blue snowflakes I want really improve my overal life happiness? No, right? Savings on the bank DO make me more happy. But it's just so hard to resist sometimes, especially since it seems that everyone here can buy everything they want all the time! Which isn't true at all of course, but sometimes it seems that way.

So, What would be bad enabling for everyone and what is okay? Chen, you said you'd rather not look at possible weeding pictures of peoples stash. I am glad you were honest and spoke up with what you don't want, so we can help you and you'll stick around and you can help me maybe if I have a weak moment.
    What are your thoughts on happy pictures of peoples stuff they have and covet while not wanting any more things? Is that enabling too for anyone? If it is then we don't do that, either. I just went through my stash yesterday, just before I opened this thread. I have so much, and so many things I really do love, because they are awesome and they work! I am blessed already. But maybe better not show those, then.

I had a bonus from work last year, and I decided that I could spend it on nice things for me. My grandmothers jools got stolen after she died, all but a few trinkets, so I was allowed to get myself some nice things to make up for that. My future children do need heirloom pieces, after all. So I started buying a lot of small things and bigger things too, and man I loved the expanding of my horizon that went with the new toys and the lovely toy threads here and the cool updo's and matching everything.... But now, new things do not 'add' something to my stash any more, I have things that work and things that don't I have given away, and I noticed that new purchases don't always make me as happy as the first ones did. I am much more happy with the presents I got in the winterswap than ALL the expensive items I bought from oktober onwards to now, because those are much more special.

So! Bam.
    Of course I did hear my vintage boutique with the old combs is having sale. I tell you all this, so you can go NO. if I want them and go angry at me if I cave in. I do not want you to scold me, so I shall not cave. I don't wear mantilla combs, anyway, and I have enough of the others.

Of course today I am strong. I hope this thread stays active, so when my ladyweek comes I can still get some support from the terrible greed that always overcomes me due to too much hormones......

Length
    pixie/BSL/CL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Avis View Post
    I so need this thread. ******* I just wish I had a red stick of some kind. Ack! No I don't!
    LOL, Avis! This is the exact same thinking that gets me into trouble. EVERY. TIME. Stay strong, my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by chen bao jun View Post
    Quasi, I think that would enable me. I don't know what others think but pictures of hair toys here would get me going....I know from experience. ..
    Yes, indeed, Chen. I love gazing at pictures of Quasi's hairtoys and am highly enabled by them. I'm sure I would head straight to the Swap Board and buy whatever we helped you weed out of your stash, Quasi! Oh, maybe you could do it as a blog? Or even start a Help me Destash thread? That way would have to go search it out rather than have easy access to the hairtoy pics? Kind of like sneaking a peak at Etsy or something? OH DEAR. I'm already heading down the slippery slope again.

Quote Originally Posted by Charybdis View Post
    So, my deal with hair toys at this point is that I'm not going to buy any more variations of ones I already have until I learn to use the majority of my stash.

Here's a complete list of the stash, with an asterisk next to the ones in active use:

* one pair of 6" Ead sticks
    * two pairs of 5" Ead sticks
    a single 5" Ead stick (was part of a pair, 2nd stick broke due to a defect in the material)
    * one Princess Eve TT
    one smallish 3-prong Grahtoe fork (swap board purchase)
    two large Ficcare Maximas (recently purchased from the current collections)
    one Quattro Starlites combo fork set
    one France Luxe 2-prong fork
    one small ornamental 3-prong comb (swapboard purchase, too small to hold up my hair but could be used to accent a bun if I could figure out how)
    * various cheap hair ties, scrunchies, and hair pins
    Whew!! A stash list I can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamSheep View Post
    Sounds like where I belong right now.

I still have stuff coming in the mail. *MUST BREAK THE CYCLE*
    Oh dear. I, too, have a few things still coming in the mail.

Length
    Chin/Waist/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

My name is Cania and I'm a hairtoy addict.

Hairtoy budget for the month: $0
    Actual spending on Ficcares for the month: $250

:
    Not that I'm in debt over it but still, scary!

To be fair though, that is it now. I'm going to get some of the new Lotuses (loti?) and there is nothing else I 'need' otherwise. I actually feel pretty good about it. I did a lot of destashing last year and I feel better for it.

My collection stands at...

Forks: 11 (two metal, nine wood)
    Sticks: 17 (counting pairs as one)
    Ficcare: 10
    Fakkare: 5
    Flexis: 5
    Moons: 1

Total: 49
    That will be 50 when a gift from a dear member here arrives.

I really should reduce that down more. I like Quasi's idea of having 31 toys, but I'm not sure there is anything I'd be happy parting with now. Perhaps I will stick to 50 and if I want anything new, something old has to go? That seems sensible, plus 50 is a great number

Could we maybe start a thread like... "Help Me Destash!" where we post comparison pictures and people help us decide what to part with? Would save enabling here. That said, we will want to talk about toys here sometimes I guess. Like "help convince me I don't need it!" Otherwise I can't imagine there is much to talk about?
    Maintaining at tailbone - Henna head - Recently reunited with cones - Forever destashing - Kitten enthusiast