Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut Your Own, or Stylist?

Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Cut Your Own, or Stylist?

I can't wait for my first self-trim in January 2016. I always used to go to the salon and most of the times I wasn't happy with a cut or blow dry and had to fix it myself ;-) I might give it a go and visit George Michael long hair salon in London one day when my hair is actually long :-)

Growing out healthy, natural hair since October 2015

Length
    16/18/35
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I cut my hair myself, have been doing so for years. I mostly use the ponytail method, but I may try some other methods later. I have no traumas from hairdressers, since the one I used to go is AMAZING and always listened what I wanted and if she did something else, she always had a very good reason for doing so. I'm just lazy and want to save money (and I live in another city now, and didn't want to change my hairdresser). Besides, the longer my hair gets, the easier it is to cut.
    Neck - Shoulder - APL - BSL - Midback - ~Waist~
    Silk is FIBER Satin is WEAVE. Asking "Silk or satin?" is like asking "Steel or fork?"

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I do my own, but it's really more out of laziness than past trauma. I never liked going in to get it cut, all the funny smells, whatever. When I was living at home, I pretty much didn't do it till my mom declared that I was due for a cut, made an appointment, and trundled me off to the hairdresser. After I moved out, I got a couple cuts, maybe annually or so. Then I stumbled across LHC, decided to grow my hair out longer, and learned how to trim my own. Funnily, my hair is probably getting more trims now than it used to. They just aren't lopping off inches and inches each time.

ETA: It's worth saying: I find having some stranger touching my hair -- washing it, whatever -- to be weird rather than relaxing. Don't see much point in paying for that.
    Last edited by Anje; February 6th, 2015 at 11:39 AM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    12/40.5/37
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

I like trimming my own hair. It's free and easy, so why not. I also cut my husband's hair--his hair has never looked better. There was once we went shopping, and someone was like oh, you hair looks great(to my husband), and he was like yea, my wife cuts it for me!
    Last edited by Hrtchoco; January 31st, 2015 at 07:58 AM.
    ~~~~~~~

Length
    Chin/24"/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Mix of both, I guess? If I need a trim, I'll do it myself, but my mom is a cosmetologist, so she does the actual cut, if I want to cut a few inches off.

Chin|Shoulder|APL|BSL|MBL|Waist

I prefer going to a stylist when I can afford it. I've had good luck so far. And a good friend of mine is a cosmetologist, so I go to her for all my beauty needs. Except my bangs. She won't do them, so I did those myself.

Length
    Buzz/BSL/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I prefer cutting it myself because if I mess up I can only blame myself and I do have some trust issues when it comes to my hair :blush: though my step-aunt (not officially because my mom and her boyfriend aren't married, but I consider him my step-dad) has a salon and I trust her. So both I guess, but I am picky.

Shaved • Chin • SL • APL • BSL • WL • HL • BCL • TBL • Classic

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I've been trimming my hair myself for over 3 years now; I doubt I'll go back to the hairdresser for this, since I can do it myself with good results. Besides, I know how much I want to cut and I don't end up with something else.

Length
    Chin/???/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Hairdresser. I've never had a problem that wasn't created by my own idiocy at the time. I've done a few self-trims and have a hard time getting it even...which annoys me to no end. So, stylist every time. They do exactly what I want, every time. (I'm pretty assertive, and am explicit in my instructions. Probably helps that I teach 8th grade, so getting people to do what I want when they may have other ideas is pretty standard for me.)
    "There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish the light of one small candle." - Spanish Proverb
    Hip length to Pixie, now growing long again. Currently past SL, heading to APL.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I do both, mostly self-cut in the past year+. I'm a poor college student now; no money for the extras like salon visits.