Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Your short hair experience vs. long hair experience?

Default Re: Your short hair experience vs. long hair experience?

you know, when I had short hair 5th grade through 9th grade I actually liked it... which is a good thing. Because now I look back and think I looked absolutely terrible! haha. My mom kept my hair really long when I was little, so when she finally let me have complete reign over my hair I chopped it up to my chin! Just a straight, all one length cut! Then when I got into junior high I got a bit more fancy and had it still that short, and sometimes even a bit shorter than chin length, but had layers and would curl the crap out of it with a curling iron! I thought I looked awesome, but I look back and cringe... I think short hair isn't good for my face shape and features... it made my nose lose bigger and just looked awkward on me.

My hair started getting realllllly dry on the ends, where I couldn't even make a difference no matter how much conditioner I used, so it must have been DEAD, so in 9th grade when my hair was about shoulder length I chopped it all off to my chin again and began growing it out healthier, only using a hair dryer and no more curling iron. I kept my hair at bra strap length through high school and college and look much more lovelier in those school pictures, and then gave up highlighting my hair and now have virgin hair at just past waist length. Long hair looks SO much better on me! I am way more confident, it looks great without doing anything to it, and I personally feel more feminine. I just don't see myself ever going back to short. I really don't. I never get sick of my hair length. Anything above covering my boobs feels too short!

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

When I was little my mom (and I) wanted my hair long - she was hoping for golden ringlets, I just wanted Princess Hair. Even tried perms. Golden Ringlets did not happen. Nor did Princess Hair.
    So when I started school my hair was cut - bangs and earlobe length. Ugly, but I did not care at all, TomBoy!
    As a pre-teen I wanted long Princess Hair, but my hair was straight as a string and would not hold a curl. Tried perms. Back stayed curly, front fell straight.
    In the teen years I grew out straight to BSL. Fairytale ends all the way, very straggly looking. Breakage at BSL... no doubt from damage.
    In college and after I spent my off hours in curlers, trying for at least waves. In the humid hot climate Waves Did Not Happen.

After DD was born I cut quite short and permed - what a horror. Could not afford upkeep, and it looked awful growing out. Ugly. Every day sad.

When marriage decayed I cut to a boy cut. Straight, short, exposed ears, sideswept bangs. Ok. Again could not afford upkeep. Had to grow it out. Horrible time growing, so shaggy and unkempt. So here I am at term. At LHC I learned some updo styles!

Every day seems to be a Good Hair Day now.

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/iii

I had really short hair when I was 3 or 4 till I was 8 years old and by short I mean at one point it was a buzz cut. I hated it so so much. I would look at other girls or dolls and feel so jealous of their hair. I finally grew it out and hip is the longest it has ever been. It was cut to chin from MBL without my wanting to have it that short and I cried. Chin is the shortest I would ever go ever again. Love the long hair much more. Makes me feel good about myself.

Length
    Pixie/102cm/150cm
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

When I had really short hair (pixie):

I really don't think a pixie was a flattering cut on me, any of the times I have had it. It lacks, well, hair.

Medium length hair (from layered choppy chin-length to shoulder-length):

This length looks good on me. It's a fun length, flipping up the layers in back and having lots of fluff/volume, in general. Heat damage it, and no worries, you can cut it off and grow it right back. When unstyled, it does not look like much. Sort of like seaweed stuck to a rock from lack of root volume.

Beginning of long hair (long enough to ponytail to BSL):

Nice, long enough to be long. Not enough to be exciting though. It was actually a boring length. My hair was not stunningly long, nor was it cute and short anymore.

Long hair (BSL to hip):

It's getting better the longer it gets. Reaching waist was a really nice milestone because it opened up a lot of styling options for me. I have not yet found my minimum length. I think when I reach TBL it will be properly long for me and I'll finally feel like a real longhair. When I reached waist, I entered the "longest ever in my life" zone. I'm loving each new millimeter of growth. Now my hair is starting to get long enough that it's really quite nice. It is a very versatile length. I can do numerous updos, and still can wear it down on occasion. I am getting into the lengths I have always wanted my whole life. From here on out, it's just getting better and better!

97 cm Photo taken 1-1-2017