Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: is baby shampoo any good?

ship me back to bahston Patrycja's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/BSL!!/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/i/ii

Default What can baby shampoo do?

I have so many small bottles of baby shampoo around the house and got to wondering.Since it is so gentle,can it be beneficial to my hair?Alot less abrasive than the other commercial stuff that I have.

Does anyone or has anyone used it?
    Lady Lakshmi of the Endless Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    shldr/shldr/long
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

According to what I read, baby shampoo is alkaline and can actually be harsher to some people. It opens up the cuticle, so it would probably be beneficial to do a vinegar rinse afterwards.

I think it's gentler, because for me it takes two shampooings to get the oil out of my hair after a deep oiling, versus only one with regular sulfate shampoo. In my experience, baby shampoo is pretty mild. I have one bottle of it right now just in case. I use it when my scalp is not that irritated and doesn't need a harsher cleaning.

Some members here had negative experiences with baby shampoo though.
    Something damaged my hair in 2017, still not sure what. After having long hair for years, I am growing again from shoulder length.

Length
    1/4/short/n/a
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

I tried baby shampoo once. It left my hair in a mass of tangles and dried it out terribly.

I use it to wash my OCM washcloth between launderings. Just a couple of drops in the sink and swish swish swish. I find it to be drying on my hair.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Yes, baby shampoo seems gentler for use on babies as it's formulated to be alkaline so that if it gets in their eyes it doesn't sting so much. But for the hair alkaline isn't very good. I've also noticed that most are very sulphatey which i find odd considering the advice i've read in the past suggested that sulphates can interfere with the eye development of children under 6 years old due to their action on proteins.

Personally i'd not use it, if you want gentle try CO method or maybe herbs. If you do use it then like has already been suggested make sure you do a vinegar rinse afterwards.
    Last edited by ChloeDharma; March 18th, 2008 at 09:00 PM. Reason: typo
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    17/22/30
    Type
    3a/M/ii

It was definitely better on me when I was a baby. I tried this 7 years ago because I missed the scent. The tangles were never that bad.
    Lady Lirr of the Heart-Stirring Song in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

ive used baby shampoo before with no ill affects... but there is this child shampoo/conditioner that i like, it says no more tears and no more tangles on the bottle.. i dont remember what brand it was but i got great results from it... i have very sensitive eyes.. just getting water in them is irritating
    can i call this classic length

Account Closed by Member Request

In a pinch, it's great for an eye make up remover...It's very gentle and won't sting...I'd use it as a gentle wash for fine washables too.

Length
    25/??/Term
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

From what I've read, baby shampoo is probably best to wash fine washables, and not a fine head of hair. Just my

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

it is the same pH as your eyes not your hair. So that if it gets in the babies eyes it won't sting.

Constantly lifting up the hair cuticle scales damages it and soon it won't sit down as flush as before. It isn't a good idea i think.
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?