Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For how long your hair can be braided without combing?

Length
    1 in/31 in/100 i
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default For how long your hair can be braided without combing?

This is in response to ‘No combing challenge’. I find that combing breaks my hair way to often and I think that combing should be kept to a minimal if one is going to the extreme length.
    For how long can your hair be braided without combing? I wonder if hair can be shampooed without unbridling in order to avoid combing?
    Do you think that in long time it would improve the thickness and speed up the growth?

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Default Re: For how long your hair can be braded without combing?

It can be kept from wash to wash, especially if you cover with a silk scarf or similar at night. There is a possibility of damage from keeping a braid too long without re-braiding. How long is too long depends on the hair. The same hair are exposed to the outside for a long time, thus damaged more.

Another draw back is that once you unbraid you'll have a tough time removing the shed hairs. That could give bigger more damaging tangles. You technically can wash with a braid, but again tangling will increase.

Another note, you can re-braid without combing or with minimal finger combing. I do this all the time.

I've combed 1-2 times a week for a couple of months, and I combed 2 times a day while. I've had no difference in growth.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

i have kept my hair braided in small plaits for 4 weeks before ...and i washed it about twice every week

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

I think the longest I've kept plaits in for was a week when I was canoe-tripping a few summers ago.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    20/27/38
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I think the higher the number of braids, the longer you can keep it in without tangling issues.

Two French braids I have kept in for maybe two days? After that they started getting very frizzy. I've never tried more braids than that, but I've seen others have success for weeks at a time with mini braids.
    Lady Xanthyppe of the Moonlith Waves in the Order of the Longhaired Knights
    My Progress! (updated August 2009)
    Currently at the upper regions of BSL. Growing again!

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I usually keep braids in no more than a day, but that's usually because they rub against my back and get all fluffy. That I take care of in the evening when I braid it again before bed. Now if I wear braids and bun them up somehow then tangling is really kept to a minimum (no rubbing against anything) and I can keep them in for longer if I wished. That was really apparent to me when first trying out the braided chinese bun. The braids didn't look fluffy at all when I'd take the bun down. I do think it depends on hair type, how it's worn and hair personality that really makes a difference on how braids work out over a certain period of time.

Length
    Short/IDK/Hip
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by kowlrea View Post
    i have kept my hair braided in small plaits for 4 weeks before ...and i washed it about twice every week
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanthippe View Post
    I think the higher the number of braids, the longer you can keep it in without tangling issues.

Two French braids I have kept in for maybe two days? After that they started getting very frizzy. I've never tried more braids than that, but I've seen others have success for weeks at a time with mini braids.

I agree with these two posts. My hair has been braided for about 12 days now and I plan on keeping them for another 10-12. I have about 25-30 mini braids all over and I wash at least once a week with shampoo with occasional co washes in between. My hair is has a nice sheen and seems to be tangle free.
    IMHO, one can never have too much conditioner. ~Proverb from a PJ~
    Lady Bey of Twilight Cloud in the Order of the LongHaired Knights

Length
    14/25/34
    Type
    3a/M/ii

I leave one braid in for a day and when I get multiple braids put in, I leave it for a week or two. Depends on your hair. Experiment. It's fun.

Length
    SL/37"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

My braids won't last more than a day. Probably because my hair is fine and slippery.
    Silver-haired temptress of the order of the gaming Knights.

Type
    2c/M/ii

Like Elenna, 1 day for me. Very silky locks.