Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Combing out dreadlocks?

Length
    2"/4-5"/shldr
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Default Re: Combing out dreadlocks?

3MinuteMiracle also comes (or came - haven't been there in a while) in a generic form at Sally's in a larger bottle for cheap. That's really good stuff.

I'd also have to agree with the CO idea, too - get at least one good CO in there first and then let the dreads soak with the slimy condish for a few hours while they are worked out. She shouldn't have to cut any unless she really wants to or there is excessive damage.
    Ultimate goal=Healthy Hair, easy care.

Length
    BSL/CL/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I had dreads in part of my hair for three years. My hair is straight, but I backcombed to start (massive snarl).
    I used condish, more condish and even more condish over two weeks to eradicate them.
    after combing out, which hurt beyond reason, and was frustrating, I had a brillo-pad like pouf on my head..in that one sixth section of my hair by my ear.
    Ultimately, I cut a layer in to even out the damage that had to go.

How long until she has to be dread free? She can comb at the top to keep new growth from locking, then trim to the new hair.

Also, has she secured the job and they say to be rid of them? Can't she get specialzed tams or soem sort?
    I have know several black nurses of both genders who work with dreads.
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.

Length
    CHIN/BSL-/??
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I've never had dreds....BUT when I used to perm my hair, I couldn't comb it with any detangling spray or conditioner other than biosilk silk therapy......you can get the generic kind at Sally's now.....it is almost pure cones, and is great for really MEAN tangles......

Length
    Pixie/APL/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

In my area we have a lot of people who dread and then undread after several years. Though I have never had them myself, it seems the product of choice to remove them is baby oil, or straight mineral oil from the pharmacy.

I've watched this done, and yes its messy, but yes it also works extremely well. The hair doesn't absorb mineral oil, so it simply works to lubricate and make it easier to undread the locs.

The only drawback I've heard of is smelling like baby oil for a month, and looking greasy/slicked back for a week or more until shampoo finally gets it out.
    Once you place a candle in the dark, you can't deny the light. . Once you give to man that candle, you give his mind the power of flight. - Myself.
    Lady Seyllea, Oracle of Time and Becoming in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

I have a little experience. A dread is basically really matted hair. Undoing a dread lock without cutting it is a careful process. You start at the end of the dread, using the end of a rat tail comb or the first tooth of a regular comb. Then you start undoing the dread from the end and working your way up. You can spray some conditioner water on the dread to soften in and make detangling easier, but it will still take a while and can be a slightly painful process if the person has a sensitive scalp.
    "She walks in beauty, like the night/ Of cloudless climes and starry skies;/And all that's best of dark and bright/Meet in her aspect and her eyes..."-George Gordan, Lord Byron

Length
    27"/33"/50"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by eccentricquirks View Post
    I'd also have to agree with the CO idea, too - get at least one good CO in there first and then let the dreads soak with the slimy condish for a few hours while they are worked out. She shouldn't have to cut any unless she really wants to or there is excessive damage.
    I'm so ignorant - what is CO? Sorry lol

Length
    Short/Clssc/Term
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Conditioner Only (CO) washing is a hair-cleansing method that uses conditioner instead of shampoo. Typically, a light, no-cone conditioner is used. In your friend's case, though, you should get something coney with lots of slip. You're looking for sliming, not cleansing.

There's an article on one method of CO here.

Proud member of the Renegray Gang

Lady Alassiel of Water and Wisdom in The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I had a class in college with a girl who had dreads then combed them out. She had long hair, maybe waist lenght if I remember right. She just sat down one day with a wide tooth comb and went to work on it, she didn't loss any lenght at all, and surprisingly her hair didn't seem to damaged by the event.

Hi, My name is: Alexis AnimaSola3o4's Avatar
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Good Luck regardless! I have hair underneath (the whole reason i shaved it in the back) that dreads up on its own if I don't comb it at least every other day! I have had to have friends help me get my 'oops dreads' out after being sick and not worrying about my hair. :x

Keep your head up, makes your hair look longer! Only micro-trimming from here on out!!! YAY!!

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

it IS possible!!! A friend of mine had dreads at the midle of her back for about 2 or 3 years and she was able to take them all of without cuting anything!!! Her hair seams to be a fine to medium hair and very wavy. she ended with fairytale kind of hair as the hair breaks BUT i really think it was beautiful and still long! I think she would try first not cuting that much if she starts from the ends she can then see if it is possible or not... THEN give small cuts to see where she can manage. I would really recomend a conditioner WITH CONES, i personally think that the mask from Redken "ALL SOFT" is the best thing ever to give the hair a lot of softness and untangle. It is expensive but in this case i would give it a try.
    .~~~. :*: Bárbara :*: .~~~.