Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Henna GLOSS using COCONUT MILK! ( super hydrating )

Length
    ?/BSL+/?
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii

Default Re: Henna GLOSS using COCONUT MILK! ( super hydrating )

I will be trying this out these days. I miss henna!

Length
    ?/BSL+/?
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii

So I did this gloss yestrrday and I looove it. My hair is silky heaven!
    I left it on for abot 3hrs, and conditioned after, followed by LOC. My hair took color which is also what I wanted (I applied to dry hair, no conditioner) and it was so easy to apply and rinse out! I am never doing full henna application again. Gloss is awesome. Here are a few pics...

Last night, wet hair, flash:

This morning, flash indoors:

And natural sun(rise) light in a holidays inspired frame:

And now for the bonus: what to do with leftover coconut milk?
    Put it in a pot with equal ammount of water, cook rice in it.
    When nearly done, fry couple of bananas sliced however you like on coconut oil.
    Put bananas over rice, sprinkle cinnamom and sweeten with diluted honey to taste.

Yumm!

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrielle View Post
    thanks for the info. I too prefer to go as natural as possible these days, i tried to look for an organic brand /without additives in my area but i am out in the sticks and quite limited (unless i order online).
    I just posted on the burgundy henna thread what happened when i used henna+ hibiscus and what you're saying makes me seriously question the hibiscus i have. mine doesn't seem to have the purple/blue undertones (even when i washed it out the water was brownish) but then i am fairly new to using hibiscus so who knows. i have googled it up and others get a rosier mix, mine was more on the brownish/brick red side hmm . any trusted brands/sellers you'd recommend? i am not in the States but i may find it here. i just wanted my silvers to blend in well with the rest of my hair which is naturally very dark brown with cool undertones. The orange/copper look and contrast with the rest of my hair doesn't suit me. i am planning on transitioning to silver when i reach my mid/late 40's (i will probably be 50 per cent silver by then) so i thought going deeper red/burgundy or even brown would look more natural as as well as suiting me best.
    I'm sorry Ambriella. I totally missed this somehow.
    I do get what your saying. Its only been recently that I realized that there are different strains of hibiscus just like there are different strains of henna. The hibiscus I used was premixed already from The Henna Guys and it certainly gives a rich blue red that doesn't wash out easily at all. It makes the greys a reddish purple instead of that reddish orange. That's probably what I liked about it most because I have a few big solid streaks of silver and with regular henna they look very orangey but with this henna I get this cool pinkish purple on them. No it doesn't look totally natural which I had a bit of a problem with for a while but now I'm ok with it. It looks cool and I think I'm cool so hey... Lol

Neoma and Texan girl used powdered hibiscus and mixed it and found they had to add up to 50% hibiscus whereas I only used 5%. The water rinsed out very purple red where theirs was an orangey brown red. Its kind of weird cause I figured they would be a lot closer in colour than this. That is why I am warning people that hibiscus stains really well because my 5% from the henna guys stained extraordinarily well.
    Sooo I honestly don't know how to answer that because Neoma got hers from Henna Sooq and I think Texangurl did also.
    If its any consolation I think your hair looks fabulous. I kind of like the orange strands that stand out here and there but also understand that the orange can become old after a while.
    Yes orange was really in last year but hey, this is a new year so in with the new out with the old.
    Last edited by hennalonghair; January 1st, 2015 at 05:20 AM.

Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Upside Down View Post
    So I did this gloss yestrrday and I looove it. My hair is silky heaven!
    I left it on for abot 3hrs, and conditioned after, followed by LOC. My hair took color which is also what I wanted (I applied to dry hair, no conditioner) and it was so easy to apply and rinse out! I am never doing full henna application again. Gloss is awesome. Here are a few pics...

Last night, wet hair, flash:

This morning, flash indoors:

And natural sun(rise) light in a holidays inspired frame:

And now for the bonus: what to do with leftover coconut milk?
    Put it in a pot with equal ammount of water, cook rice in it.
    When nearly done, fry couple of bananas sliced however you like on coconut oil.
    Put bananas over rice, sprinkle cinnamom and sweeten with diluted honey to taste.

Yumm!
    Hey Upsidedown. You sure did an awesome job. Now doesnt your hair just feel wonderful?
    Maybe this is why I can't relate to the dryness some people experience cause henna glosses are a real game changer.
    Gotta love a woman who offers recipes with her left over coconut milk. Now that's resourceful. I would like to point out that you can actually freeze henna with the coconut milk in it so next time you may want to make a bigger batch , use what you need and then freeze the rest. The freezing actually enhances the henna sine.
    Anyway good job. Your hair looks very hydrated indeed.
    Last edited by hennalonghair; January 1st, 2015 at 05:29 AM.

Length
    ?/BSL+/?
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by hennalonghair View Post
    Hey Upsidedown. You sure did an awesome job. Now doesnt your hair just feel wonderful?
    Maybe this is why I can't relate to the dryness some people experience cause henna glosses are a real game changer.
    Gotta love a woman who offers recipes with her left over coconut milk. Now that's resourceful. I would like to point out that you can actually freeze henna with the coconut milk in it so next time you may want to make a bigger batch , use what you need and then freeze the rest. The freezing actually enhances the henna sine.
    Anyway good job. Your hair looks very hydrated indeed.
    Yesss, it feels so nice, silky and bouncy! I am definetly a new formed gloss addict

Yes freezing is also a great idea, only this time I had a sweet tooth lol

Here's one in full light... And then I am done posting pictures

Last edited by Upside Down; January 1st, 2015 at 06:00 AM.

Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Upside Down View Post
    Yesss, it feels so nice, silky and bouncy! I am definetly a new formed gloss addict

Yes freezing is also a great idea, only this time I had a sweet tooth lol

Here's one in full light... And then I am done posting pictures

Oh well look at you!! Now that's a very happy henna head. I am so glad you liked this method.
    It just makes henna application so much easier and there's less waste. You don't need as much henna to get the same type of effect and there's certainly less mechanical damage due to the extra slip the gloss offers.

You got hungry. that sounds like something I'd do and the recipe is definitely something I'd make.
    Again your hair looks fabulous with zero frizz. Oh gurrrl. You did good!!! :

Hey and post as many pics as you want. It actually helps others understand the results better with them added .
    I mean just look at that beaming pretty face.
    Sweet! A picture tells a 1,000 words.

Length
    ?/BSL+/?
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii

You are so sweet, thank you! And thank you also for sharing the gloss recipe

Length
    20/BSL/WL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

I'm trying this right now for the first time. I plan to keep it on for at least 4 hours to try to get good coverage on my greys. It sure would be nice if I could get the greys covered with only having to wear the gloss for 2 or 3 hours. I might try a shorter wear time next time around in 2 weeks. I haven't done a root touch up in 4 weeks so I wanted to make sure the greys are covered this time. I'm hoping to find the time to start doing the henna touch ups every other week.

Question - I've always had to fill up the bathtub and do a mermaid soak and use lots of conditioner to get it all rinsed out well. Is the mermaid soak still necessary or recommended when you have mixed the henna with coconut milk instead of another liquid like chamomile tea?

Length
    20/BSL/WL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

UpsideDown, your hair looks so beautiful!

I ended up keeping the gloss on for 6 hours before rinsing it out, and I went ahead and did a mermaid rinse in the bathtub followed by showering to get it all out, per my usual routine. The jury is still out on whether I'll like this or not. Waiting for my hair to dry now. If I could count on it fully covering the greys if I only wore the gloss for 2-3 hours max, that would be nice. Maybe I'll try the shorter time in 2 weeks when my roots aren't as long as they were tonight (4 week roots).

Length
    ?/BSL+/?
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii

DKSABS, thank you! I can check my grays and report, I competely forgot to check if they are covered.

As for mermaid soak, I am not sure but can assume what it is - I did not need it, the gloss ronsed out very well just pputting my hair under the shower for a few minutes, followed by conditioner.