Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does my hair not like coconut oil? How can you tell?

Length
    ~Wst/TBL/~Cls
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Does my hair not like coconut oil? How can you tell?

My hair is picky about coconut oil: coconut oil applied to dry hair or mixed with something else, I have no problem. If my hair's even the slightest bit damp, coconut oil makes it feel rough, dry, crunchy and generally icky.
    Wavy, wurly, sometimes curly; on my way to healthier, longer hair!

~Waist → Hip BCL TBL Goal: TBL+ V hem

Length
    23ish/23/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I personally find that, as much as I like the idea of coconut oil, my hair definitely doesn't. I wash every other day, don't heat style or roughly brush or anything like that. When I used coconut oil, I was doing it as like a deep conditioning treatment before showering that I would do only once every week or 2 weeks since my scalp is prone to the greasies. The first time, my hair was super soft. After that, my hair got progressively more blegh. The ends were getting crispy and hay-like. My hair was heavy and had no shine, and even after washing, it made my hair start to smell funky-like spoiled coconut oil- after a few usages. Not to mention the horrific acne breakouts I think it caused on my face. I really wish I could use coconut oil, since so many people seem to love it. I think it was just too heavy for my hair. My hair and body chemistry both do better with argan oil.
    "Shipwrecked on some matte-painted island
    Clad in nothing but the surf: beauty's finest robe"
    ~Song of Myself- Nightwish

Quick update: I tried using olive oil mixed with coconut oil. It seemed to work better in my hair, but this time the oil was super hard to wash out of my hair. The coconut oil came out a lot easier. I had to wash my hair again the next day. The second wash I used my regular conditioner, and my hair definitely feels better now. I love how protective and nourishing coconut oil sounds, so I hope mixing it in with olive oil with deliver the same benefits, if I use it a few times a month. I don't think conditioning my hair with oil each time is what my hair needs.

Length
    Pixie/CBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

The thing that stuck out to me immediately is when you said you only use coconut oil for conditioner. After using the no poo method for 3 months, the ONLY thing that made my hair feel better was loads and loads of suave or v05 conditioner. I tried to use oil, like you, but my hair just needed moisture. Although oils can penetrate, repair, and make your hair smoother, oils do not moisturize your hair. If your hair is already lacking moisture, the only thing oiling will do will be to lock the moisture out!