Page 15 of 122 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie questions thread. Feel free to add your own.

Default Re: Newbie questions thread (if there isn't already one). Feel free to add your own.

Hi
    I wanted to ask about how you guys S&D? I've been growing for almost 2 years now but haven't had any trims (I think) the whole time apart from my fringe which I do myself. I've started to find some splits but I look away for a second and lose them
    Any tips for doing more systematically?

Also have taken up oiling but every time I do this on wet hair it just looks really greasy but this doesn't happen if I leave it until my hair is dry? Am I just using too much or does anyone else have this?

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Default Re: Newbie questions thread (if there isn't already one). Feel free to add your own.

Epi - First thing is to get a set of hair shears and don't use them for anything else! You want them to stay really sharp. I just grab small sections and hunt through in bright light. They often are easy to spot the next morning after my nightly braid has gotten a little mussed poking out. If you are having trouble finding them again, you probably don't have very many, which is pretty awesome.

I get the same thing if I oil on wet hair so I wait until mine is dry or very close to it. I think this is just variable between people and maybe hair types

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by epicrosie View Post
    Hi
    I wanted to ask about how you guys S&D? I've been growing for almost 2 years now but haven't had any trims (I think) the whole time apart from my fringe which I do myself. I've started to find some splits but I look away for a second and lose them
    Any tips for doing more systematically?

Also have taken up oiling but every time I do this on wet hair it just looks really greasy but this doesn't happen if I leave it until my hair is dry? Am I just using too much or does anyone else have this?
    Epicrosie, here is a link to LHC member Heidi W's hair oiling video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

As far as S and D is concerned, I try and do it daily, using cuticle scissors. I concentrate on the last 8 inches which are very loosely braided. I pick a section of the braid apart and then hold up a section and search for any splits/white dots. Strangely, this is done in front of my tv (which is not on) with strong sunlight coming in from my right hand side.

However you do it, be sure that you have good lighting!

Length
    0cm/APL/CL
    Type
    3c/4a/M/C/iii

Arctic: Thanks much! I'll have to try the cinnabun as well. Your help is super appreciated
    Can forks be found at just about any store or should I look at hair/beauty stores for them? It looks
    like I need to take a trip out and browse for new ways to put my hair up as my current arsenal
    isn't so reliable. Bobby pins work about 50% of the time for me, so I'll have to check those u-pins out.
    I've never heard of them until now! Those spin pins seem fun too...

Madora: I tried the braid but I think my hair isn't suited for it just yet. It got quite fussy on
    me after I turned it over!
    2 yrs 4 yrs 6 yrs 7 yrs 8 yrs 9 yrs 10 yrs
    Hip (90 cm) stretched

lady karni mata, keeper of the long-tailed scouts in the order of the long haired knights

Length
    CL/APL/happy
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Sloth View Post
    1. I usually braid my hair since I sleep with my bf and we both roll around a lot in our sleep. Otherwise I risk yelling at a sleeping man who has no idea he just crushed my hair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Panth View Post
    5) He doesn't mind it, provided it's not trying to attack him...
    6) .

Tbh, I think you're worrying too much, though. You're not going to magically wake up with TBL hair overnight. Likewise, if you get to, say, waist or hip and decide that you actually don't want it any longer, no one's going to force you to grow to TBL because "oh, you said you would!". Most of these things come as incremental adaptations - length gain is slow, so you have plenty of time to learn and adapt. Anyway, if you decide you don't like it or can't stand it that long, there's a very quick, very easy fix for that.
    Thanks for everyone's replies! I realize I was worrying too much, and it dawned on me, later in the day after I posted this, what Panth said! Can't imagine just waking up and," Oh! Look at that! I reached my goal overnight!"

Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Hi everyone! This is a great thread! You guys have already answered several questions I had in the back of my mind. I am for sure a newbie with apl hair (the longest it's ever been) & I love getting all the tips and support LHC gives
    So I have a question - maybe it fits in this thread. I am noticing more wispies...Is there some way to know if they are breaks (oh no) or new growth (oh boy)?

Length
    18''/29"/33"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by rosestark View Post
    Hi everyone! This is a great thread! You guys have already answered several questions I had in the back of my mind. I am for sure a newbie with apl hair (the longest it's ever been) & I love getting all the tips and support LHC gives
    So I have a question - maybe it fits in this thread. I am noticing more wispies...Is there some way to know if they are breaks (oh no) or new growth (oh boy)?
    It's not a surefire method, but the way that I check is to look at the end. If it's smooth and pointed, it's likely new growth. If it's blunt, frayed, has a "bump" at the end, or looks shredded in some way, it's a break.

It's not perfect, because sometimes broken ends break and wear off to a smooth, pointed look, but you get the hang of it after you look at a few.
    ☼ Men are that they might have joy. ☼

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by rosestark View Post
    If you can examine the ends of those hair strands, you might be able to tell. Smoothly tapered ends (looking like this under a microscope) would indicate new growth, while splits, white dots and rough-feeling ends would indicate breakage.

ETA: Sorry, I cross-posted with Laurenji.
    Last edited by meteor; March 5th, 2015 at 03:43 PM.

Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Laurenji View Post
    It's not a surefire method, but the way that I check is to look at the end. If it's smooth and pointed, it's likely new growth. If it's blunt, frayed, has a "bump" at the end, or looks shredded in some way, it's a break.

It's not perfect, because sometimes broken ends break and wear off to a smooth, pointed look, but you get the hang of it after you look at a few.
    That makes sense - thanks! I think at least my shorter wisps are new growth then (maybe because I stopped highlighting & blow drying at least a year ago)...I'll go with that. But I have a suspicion that the longer wisps I have in the back are the result of ponytails/buns (and I can't see the ends haha). Still this is a helpful tip! I had literally no idea how to tell a break from a new growth!

Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    If you can examine the ends of those hair strands, you might be able to tell. Smoothly tapered ends (looking like this under a microscope) would indicate new growth, while splits, white dots and rough-feeling ends would indicate breakage.

ETA: Sorry, I cross-posted with Laurenji.

Oh just saw your response - thanks for replying too!