Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: black walnut powder?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    52
    Length
    15/15/40
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

    Default black walnut powder?

    has anyone used it to color their hair before? I tried it and loved the color but it washed out in one shower (no shampoo) and dried out my hair. could I add oils to make it not get so dry? should I try an alternative (natural) method to color my hair? I don't want any red tones so idk about henna

    also is it true that if you use henna in your hair and the try to put a chemical dye over it, your hair becomes super fried?
    Last edited by Katem; August 8th, 2016 at 12:09 AM.

  2. #2
    Member lapushka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    27,323
    Length
    chin/Class/??
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

    Default Re: black walnut powder?

    I've heard it stains a lot, and everything it comes into contact with, so do be careful. Natural isn't always "better".

    I think buxus turns brown, or was it blonde? Not sure.

    Maybe consider dyes like "La Riche Directions" or "Manic Panic"?
    Lady Senua of the Golden Mask in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    WCC method (washing) + Rinse-out oil (MO) + LOC method (styling)

  3. #3
    Mad Scientist Anje's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    18,692
    Length
    Shldr/Fgrtp/Knee?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

    Default Re: black walnut powder?

    What color are you now and what are you going for?
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    52
    Length
    15/15/40
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

    Default Re: black walnut powder?

    Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I've heard it stains a lot, and everything it comes into contact with, so do be careful. Natural isn't always "better".

    I think buxus turns brown, or was it blonde? Not sure.

    Maybe consider dyes like "La Riche Directions" or "Manic Panic"?
    that's true. It just didn't seem to stain my hair. I have tried manic panic but it my hair soooo dry, it scared me

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    52
    Length
    15/15/40
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

    Default Re: black walnut powder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    What color are you now and what are you going for?
    I'm kind of a brassy blonde aiming for a cool toned brown

  6. #6
    Mad Scientist Anje's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    18,692
    Length
    Shldr/Fgrtp/Knee?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

    Default Re: black walnut powder?

    Manic Panic really shouldn't make your hair dry -- it's pretty much colored conditioner. Or do you mean that you bleached your hair first to make the color brighter? (That can definitely be drying and damaging, but a lot of folks here just opt to skip that step and use the color only layered on their naturally colored hair.)
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    52
    Length
    15/15/40
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

    Default Re: black walnut powder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Manic Panic really shouldn't make your hair dry -- it's pretty much colored conditioner. Or do you mean that you bleached your hair first to make the color brighter? (That can definitely be drying and damaging, but a lot of folks here just opt to skip that step and use the color only layered on their naturally colored hair.)
    no my hair was already light blonde, but after I tried the manic panic my hair felt like Velcro. maybe my hair wasn't a fan of the chemicals? idk

  8. #8
    Member lapushka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    27,323
    Length
    chin/Class/??
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

    Default Re: black walnut powder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Katem View Post
    no my hair was already light blonde, but after I tried the manic panic my hair felt like Velcro. maybe my hair wasn't a fan of the chemicals? idk
    Manic Panic isn't a "regular" dye, so I don't get the "chemicals" comment.
    Lady Senua of the Golden Mask in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    WCC method (washing) + Rinse-out oil (MO) + LOC method (styling)

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    52
    Length
    15/15/40
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

    Default Re: black walnut powder?

    Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Manic Panic isn't a "regular" dye, so I don't get the "chemicals" comment.
    sorry didn't mean chemicals, just meant ingredients haha

  10. #10
    I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    HOT AND MISERABLE >:(
    Posts
    2,083
    Length
    16"/39"/48"?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: black walnut powder?

    IIRC is it black walnut shell powder that might actually be toxic? Or am I thinking of another herbal dye?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •