Thread: Any Natural Shampoo Recipes For Thick but Greasy Hair, Sensitive Scalp and Dry Ends?

Question Any Natural Shampoo Recipes For Thick but Greasy Hair, Sensitive Scalp and Dry Ends?

Dear All,

I've been experimenting with natural shampoo/no poo for a good year now (and had been using a mostly organic shampoo, sls free shampoo with cider vinegar rinse before then).

My problem is that I still can't find quite the right fit - especially for my very dry/flaky/sensitive scalp - or if something suits the scalp, it's way too greasy for my relatively greasy hair and goes really waxy (even though I was through the transition). I liked using rhassoul clay as a wash and then rinsing with cider vinegar and that mostly worked well but it was still a bit too harsh on my poor scalp. I find that shampoo bars don't work in my hard water area (as much as I'd love them to) and citric acid is again too harsh on my scalp. I've used a couple of very very natural baby shampoos (Halos N Horns Melon Mayhem and Weleda Baby Calendula Shampoo) recently because I wanted to see how they would be but to no avail (though admittedly it's nice to have more bouce/shine in my hair again). Water only was just not quite cleansing enough and my hair looked ratty.

I'm reluctant to try honey because I've heard that the production really harms the bees who don't have enough to eat but are there any other recommendations? I really can't over condition but I'd love to find something that was a good balance and I know it's asking a lot but I'm really desperate to stay natural and support my poor scalp.

Your's in desperation.
    Jen

Length
    chin/CL/??
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Any Natural Shampoo Recipes For Thick but Greasy Hair, Sensitive Scalp and Dry En

What kind of flakes do you have in your scalp? Tiny dandruffy pricks or real quarter inch type scales? Because - I hate to repeat myself - but going all natural might not be it for you, esp. not if there is something like SD (seborrheic dermatitis) at play. And it sounds a little odd to me. That kind of "oily" hair needs to be super and über clean all the time and is best treated with antifungal shampoos (like Nizoral or other brands) in case of a flare-up.

Furthermore you are throwing way too many things at once at your scalp. Try one thing and stick with it for a while.
    Lady Senua of the Golden Mask in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    WCC method (washing) + Rinse-out oil (MO) + LOC method (styling)

Default Re: Any Natural Shampoo Recipes For Thick but Greasy Hair, Sensitive Scalp and Dry En

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    What kind of flakes do you have in your scalp? Tiny dandruffy pricks or real quarter inch type scales? Because - I hate to repeat myself - but going all natural might not be it for you, esp. not if there is something like SD (seborrheic dermatitis) at play. And it sounds a little odd to me. That kind of "oily" hair needs to be super and über clean all the time and is best treated with antifungal shampoos (like Nizoral or other brands) in case of a flare-up.

Furthermore you are throwing way too many things at once at your scalp. Try one thing and stick with it for a while.
    Thank you for the response Lapushka. The flakes are the larger kind but I have to say that the antifungal shampoos are way too much for my hair (I tried them years ago) and I think the sls just makes them way too cleansing for me, I'm not sure but they didn't soothe or heal the scalp at all unfortunately, I wish they did.

Length
    30.3/31.9/term.
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii

I don't have much experience with homemade shampoos personally, but I do know some people tried using eggs to wash their hair. A few things I found online that might be worth trying would be avocado, coconut milk, baking soda (it's very harsh though so I don't know if it'd be good for your sensitive scalp), ACV (maybe you should dilute it even more?), teas (they're used as rinses most often I'm not sure how well they'd clean hair). I had dandruff and almost got completely rid of it by using tea tree essential oil in a mixture of olive and castor oils as a prepoo treatment on my scalp, maybe it would help you as well? Also as far as honey goes, I've not been able to find any scientific research about production of honey harming bees in any way, the only researches were about pesticides used on different plants that had a negative effect on the bees, but you can easily avoid this by buying organic honey, because animal welfare is important in and is a part of organic production.

~*~ I love my lion bunny mane. ~*~

Quote Originally Posted by bunneh. View Post
    I don't have much experience with homemade shampoos personally, but I do know some people tried using eggs to wash their hair. A few things I found online that might be worth trying would be avocado, coconut milk, baking soda (it's very harsh though so I don't know if it'd be good for your sensitive scalp), ACV (maybe you should dilute it even more?), teas (they're used as rinses most often I'm not sure how well they'd clean hair). I had dandruff and almost got completely rid of it by using tea tree essential oil in a mixture of olive and castor oils as a prepoo treatment on my scalp, maybe it would help you as well? Also as far as honey goes, I've not been able to find any scientific research about production of honey harming bees in any way, the only researches were about pesticides used on different plants that had a negative effect on the bees, but you can easily avoid this by buying organic honey, because animal welfare is important in and is a part of organic production.
    Thank you kindly Bunneh (you have beautiful hair by the way!). I've heard good things about avocado and coconut milk but just a little concerned about them being over conditioning whereas I think the baking soda might be a little too cleansing (my constant battle is balancing this!). I think I'll try the tea tree oil as I do have some which I have used successfully for other skin related issues so it may well be effective. I'll do some more research into the honey too as I've heard it's really beneficial.

Length
    30.3/31.9/term.
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii

Thank you very much. Honey is a humectant so it's good for moisturizing. I don't use it on my hair, I wanted to try it once but haven't, I might in the future. I use it on my face though as a mask and I really like it. I feel like it cleans a little bit, moisturizes a little bit and leaves my skin feeling nice and soft.

~*~ I love my lion bunny mane. ~*~

Length
    chin/CL/??
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Thefulljenny View Post
    Thank you for the response Lapushka. The flakes are the larger kind but I have to say that the antifungal shampoos are way too much for my hair (I tried them years ago) and I think the sls just makes them way too cleansing for me, I'm not sure but they didn't soothe or heal the scalp at all unfortunately, I wish they did.
    Meteor always recommends a SL(E)S free antifungal alternative. I hope she weighs in on this! I can't quite recall the name of the shampoo, but it is a sulfate free antifungal. So you have an alternative. You have to give the shampoo a chance though, just by washing once with it, it is not going to clear it all up. You have to continue the treatment until the flakes all go, the itching stops and the redness goes.
    Lady Senua of the Golden Mask in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    WCC method (washing) + Rinse-out oil (MO) + LOC method (styling)

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Meteor always recommends a SL(E)S free antifungal alternative. I hope she weighs in on this! I can't quite recall the name of the shampoo, but it is a sulfate free antifungal. So you have an alternative. You have to give the shampoo a chance though, just by washing once with it, it is not going to clear it all up. You have to continue the treatment until the flakes all go, the itching stops and the redness goes.
    Thanks Lapushka, I'll have a look for the alternative. I honestly have tried giving shampoos good chances but I think they just have so many chemicals in that I flare up even more but I will continue my hunt for one that doesn't!

Length
    Shldr/Thumb/Knee?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Not a recipe, but what I've been doing is diluting my sulfate shampoo (it's something like 10x as much water as shampoo), then I squirt that on my scalp. If it doesn't lather, I add a little more. This seems to be gentler on my scalp than undiluted shampoo, and I can dilute it more/wash less after a few weeks of this simply because my scalp isn't getting dried out as much. I normally don't lather the length, but if that's not enough protection, you can coat the length in conditioner (CWC washing) before shampooing.

Now I don't have SD, and I do have a scalp that gets dried out and makes teeny pinpoint flakes. It starts to overproduce oil when it gets like that, too. So washing for me is a balancing act.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Not a recipe, but what I've been doing is diluting my sulfate shampoo (it's something like 10x as much water as shampoo), then I squirt that on my scalp. If it doesn't lather, I add a little more. This seems to be gentler on my scalp than undiluted shampoo, and I can dilute it more/wash less after a few weeks of this simply because my scalp isn't getting dried out as much. I normally don't lather the length, but if that's not enough protection, you can coat the length in conditioner (CWC washing) before shampooing.

Now I don't have SD, and I do have a scalp that gets dried out and makes teeny pinpoint flakes. It starts to overproduce oil when it gets like that, too. So washing for me is a balancing act.
    Thank you Anje - that's a really good suggestion and I was half wondering if diluting might help - thank you! I also know exactly what you mean about the balancing act!