Thread: I'm THIS close to henna AGAIN! :(

Length
    2/7.5/13
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default I'm THIS close to henna AGAIN! :(

Iím getting frustrated here. I miss my henna-ed hair Not the colour, but how full and healthy it felt and looked. Iím getting THIS close to henna it again :@ I donít know where else to go with this so Iím extremely grateful Iím already a LHC member

Ok, a bit of background info:

January 2016 I cut my hair short to remove the henna I had since June 2009. Iím growing out my short pixie since April and by now itís a jaw length bob. I want to grow it long again (for me ďlongĒ; past shoulders, maybe APL) but Iím afraid itíll be too thin to still look ok at that length. There are pictures in my ďWhen I was a henna headĒ photo album of how it looked when I used to henna and I secretly like to go back to that length.

I totally love my virgin hair colour, Iím just noticing how different it feels and looks compared to my henna-ed hair. Itís less full then when I was using henna the shine and everything is ok, itís super healthy.

I am considering using henna again just to make it thicker even though I know that cutting it short would be a total waste and I donít want to be red anymore, hence why I cut it all out in the first place.

Yesterday I did my first castor oil/jojoba mix, I plan to do that at least two times per week, hoping it will thicken my hair a bit. I canít win much on food and general health wise: I workout about four times a week and eat Ďcleaní 80-90%. I take a bunch of supplements, also for my hair, like biotin, folic acid and MSM.

Onto the questions I have regarding cassia (and amla):

Will cassia give me the results pure henna gave me? Iím prepared to apply it every week if I have to since cassia isnít as permanent as henna.

I found an online shop here in the Netherlands that also sells amla. Would a combination of cassia AND amla be a good idea?

I donít mind if my hair colour changes, Iím a dark blonde with warm undertones which means I can look a bit red-ish in certain lights.

How should I mix this? I always mixed the henna with fresh orange juice, it didnít dry out my hair and it gave me good dye release. I applied it to dry hair.

Would the same work for cassia? How long should I keep it on my hair? How much colour change can I expect?

Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks so much for the help!
    My current profile name is useless... Because I cut to a short pixie to remove the henna!
    short pixie --> ears --> jaw --> chin --> shoulders --> ?

Length
    APL/waist/:D
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Default Re: I'm THIS close to henna AGAIN! :(

Quote Originally Posted by Melisandre View Post
    Iím getting frustrated here. I miss my henna-ed hair Not the colour, but how full and healthy it felt and looked. Iím getting THIS close to henna it again :@ I donít know where else to go with this so Iím extremely grateful Iím already a LHC member

Ok, a bit of background info:

January 2016 I cut my hair short to remove the henna I had since June 2009. Iím growing out my short pixie since April and by now itís a jaw length bob. I want to grow it long again (for me ďlongĒ; past shoulders, maybe APL) but Iím afraid itíll be too thin to still look ok at that length. There are pictures in my ďWhen I was a henna headĒ photo album of how it looked when I used to henna and I secretly like to go back to that length.

I totally love my virgin hair colour, Iím just noticing how different it feels and looks compared to my henna-ed hair. Itís less full then when I was using henna the shine and everything is ok, itís super healthy.

I am considering using henna again just to make it thicker even though I know that cutting it short would be a total waste and I donít want to be red anymore, hence why I cut it all out in the first place.

Yesterday I did my first castor oil/jojoba mix, I plan to do that at least two times per week, hoping it will thicken my hair a bit. I canít win much on food and general health wise: I workout about four times a week and eat Ďcleaní 80-90%. I take a bunch of supplements, also for my hair, like biotin, folic acid and MSM.

Will cassia give me the results pure henna gave me? Iím prepared to apply it every week if I have to since cassia isnít as permanent as henna.
    It varies. For some people it does nothing. For me it's a bit more conditioning than henna but also a bit less thickening. The conditioning effect of henna, however, is just semi-permanent on my hair for some reason... so I can't answer this question properly
    I found an online shop here in the Netherlands that also sells amla. Would a combination of cassia AND amla be a good idea?
    Why do you want the amla? Probably not a bad idea, but I think amla could shift the colour. It can help retain curl for people who get loosening from henna/cassia, so if you don't mind that, go for it.

I donít mind if my hair colour changes, Iím a dark blonde with warm undertones which means I can look a bit red-ish in certain lights.

How should I mix this? I always mixed the henna with fresh orange juice, it didnít dry out my hair and it gave me good dye release. I applied it to dry hair.

Would the same work for cassia? How long should I keep it on my hair? How much colour change can I expect?
    More acidic cassia gave me some reddish tones, but the colour was not so bright as with chammomile tea. I also apply it to dry hair. You could also turn it into a gloss by mixing with conditioner. Again, the amount of colour you get varies. But it's really just a translucent golden tint. I leave it on for 2 hours max, like I did with henna because longer is uncomfortable.

Is there anything else I should consider?
    Um, I'd consider accepting your hair. Look for inspiration - there are many bloggers with thin hair and it's just as pretty. But I just looked and you are ii so your hair probably isn't even that thin and you plan to grow to a relatively shortish length so you'd have very little taper. Don't worry!
    You pixied to remove henna. That's a pretty good argument not to do it again.

Thanks so much for the help!
    + characterssssss

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Melisandre View Post

If your hair is as light as it is in your avatar, cassia will give you a yellow blond/reddish color, but it might be unnoticeable and amla will turn it darker, for sure - just do this: *strand test*!

Cassia, for me personally, didn't have the same effect as henna did. Henna thickened up my individual strands, while cassia... did nothing. So be prepared for that.

I feel like, you have gone to so much trouble to keep the color/henna off of your hair, by going short and everything. I think maybe I'd go with the 2-week-rule!
    Lady Senua of the Golden Mask in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    WCC method (washing) + Rinse-out oil (MO) + LOC method (styling)

Length
    <3in/Hip/TMI
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Be strong! I have been there. Henna, pixie, miss the fullness but not the colour. When I wobble, I remember the ashy roots that made it look like I was balding...

Cassia is about 70% as good as henna for me. I don't feel the effect until I've done two applications close together (like a week apart maybe). It does redden my hair a little but nowhere near henna, and it washes out so v low risk. I mix it with coconut oil which really helps with dryness, plus makes hair feel stronger.

Be strong...

Good luck!

LOC ~~ nightblooming cassia ~~ coconut oil

Length
    BSL/100cm/Knee+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

All you are looking for is thickness? I'd start with a nettle tea rinse.
    For me, fenugreek had a coating/plumping feel.

Catnip users, does catnip plump the strands?

I avoid heavy henna because I don't want my red shifted overall. A weak gloss does shift the color on my faded ends. It's the only spot I gloss, and only twice a year. It makes up for sunfade.
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.

Length
    28.5/33.75/40
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

^ fenugreek, really?

Cassia gives me a thickening effect. I do find it works best if left on for about the same amount of time you'd leave on a henna treatment, so for me that's 3-4 hours.

I've never noticed a color change but my henna's pretty dark. I'm growing out my natural now so I wonder if I'll see a color change on my light brown hair.
    MBL | WL | HL+ | BCL | TBL

Very last henna Jul 5, 2016 | Microtrimming in 2017

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Another one to add to the colorless things to try is that "sedr" stuff, Ziziphus spina-christi. I haven't tried it, but it's supposed to do the thicker texture thing, but without adding any color (so it's OK even for the renegray crowd).

Edit, links:
    http://www.hennasooq.com/organic-ziz...-christi-sedr/
    http://www.mehandi.com/shop/zizyphus/ (Out of stock as I write this, but I'm sure there'll be more.)
    Last edited by Anje; Yesterday at 02:52 PM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Short hair for now, in fun colors!

Length
    2/7.5/13
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Another one to add to the colorless things to try is that "sedr" stuff, Ziziphus spina-christi. I haven't tried it, but it's supposed to do the thicker texture thing, but without adding any color (so it's OK even for the renegray crowd).

Edit, links:
    http://www.hennasooq.com/organic-ziz...-christi-sedr/
    http://www.mehandi.com/shop/zizyphus/ (Out of stock as I write this, but I'm sure there'll be more.)
    That seems really interesting, thanks! will look into it, also where to find it here in the Netherlands.
    My current profile name is useless... Because I cut to a short pixie to remove the henna!
    short pixie --> ears --> jaw --> chin --> shoulders --> ?