Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get rid of red henna residue?

Default How to get rid of red henna residue?

Hi,

I've written on this forum about getting rid of henna and I was mostly successful and I am almost content with my hair colour. HOWEVER, the parts that used to be bleached or dyed with intensive copper hair dye still have rather reddish tint and it doesn't match the rest of my hair (now golden copper), it really looks like I have unmatching extensions or something. I need to tone the redness down a bit without darkening it, to light golden copper, but I think the hair dye I am now using had no effect on the area with henna. I am using L'Oréal Sunkiss spray but I don't think it is helping either (only makes it brighter). I was also thinking about hair dye remover but I want to ask you first. Any advice, please?

Length
    29"/TB/CLSC
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: How to get rid of red henna residue?

That's going to be pretty challenging to do. I've never removed henna, so I have no advice. I know that when I do a cassia treatment on top of henna it makes it looks brighter/more golden-red. Maybe that would help?
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    shldr/hip/term
    Type
    1c/M/ii

When I used hair dye remover on my hair to remove henna, it really didn't work all that well and trashed my hair pretty good. Avoid things that would make the hair lighter, such as sun-in, etc, you're going to make it redder

Honestly, your best bet is probably to go to a professional at this point to apply an ashy color to help neutralize the copper. I'm not a cosmetologist, so that's potentially the wrong color on the wheel, but in general, having a pro fix it is probably the safest bet.

A picture might make it easier to make suggestions.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    The orange cat in my avatar

Length
    JBL/SL/WL
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

Lightbulb Re: How to get rid of red henna residue?

Definitely a picture would help, I think. There are other natural ways, like the cassia mentioned above and even honey, that you could use on it to lighten it.

I have found that DRENCHING my hair in coconut oil overnight strips a lot of the henna (found out the hard way)

You may find this website fairly helpful (I did!)

Also, I think this website could prove somewhat useful to you, as well.

Hennahead
    - Looking for more natural ways to care for my hair
    Asymmetrical shave | JBL | SL | APL| BSL | WL

Maybe using Manic Panic Shocking blue? Just to tone down the red. But I guess you will need to bleach and then dye with an ashy blonde like an 8,1 with 1 lineal cm of a blue toner.

The blue is useful to tone down reds.

Thank you, I thought that the hair dye remover would be useless so I asked before doing anything. I will try to take a photo tomorrow because today my hair is mostly curly and it would not be as obvious.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Dye remover works for some people. Oiling works for some people. But unfortunately, most people find that henna pretty much stays stuck to hair. Bleaching can lighten it to a point, but it typically looks like it's lightening the melanin of the hair but leaving the orange henna component orange.

I'd definitely start with a dye remover. Expect your hair to look bright for a few days, maybe a week or so after using it, and then it darkening back down a bit. Set a timer and rinse the stuff continuously for the 30 minutes or whatever the instructions call for, as that seems to be a key component. Plan accordingly with regard to your water heater!
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Short hair for now, in fun colors!

Oiling definitely did not help me, I tried everything before going for 3% peroxide with lemon, which did most of the work. Here is the photo, it's not the best quality but you'll get the idea. The upper part is the colour I am going for and it looks too blond in the picture but it is ginger-blond in reality.

Length
    shldr/hip/term
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I found this when looking into henna for myself again. I didn't read it past the first few paragraphs so I don't know what techniques are used

http://www.tapdancinglizard.com/AS_h...nnaed_Hair.pdf

I found it on Henna Sooq's website as a link. You might find other things that could lighten or tone down your henna if you poke around.
    http://www.hennaforhair.com

ETA:
    I found this looking for something else (again). This method was reported undamaging by the poster, she used Ivory Soap to help strip out her henna:
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...highlight=herb
    Last edited by akurah; April 22nd, 2017 at 10:02 AM.

Your hair looks so shiny!

Color remover, I'd give it a try.