Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henna and Oiling

Length
    2"/8.5"/25"
    Type
    2a/M/i

Default Henna and Oiling

Hello fellow hennaheads
    So I've been hennaing my hair for about a year now and I read (and experienced) that oiling strips henna from hair. Since I'm not willing to give up either, any ideas on which oils do NOT take henna off ? I also use oils as leave in conditioner
    Any help will be greatly appreciated !

“She was the most beautiful creature on Earth - her hair said so in that language only hair can speak.”

Length
    2"/Knee!/?????
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Re: Henna and Oiling

I've never had issues with oil stripping henna from my hair, but I also don't oil immediately after applying henna. I think oil *can* strip henna, but perhaps that's only before oxidation?
    Knee - Calf - Ankle?
    Lady Strenia of the Unending Endurance in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    2"/8.5"/25"
    Type
    2a/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by Islandgrrl View Post
    I've never had issues with oil stripping henna from my hair, but I also don't oil immediately after applying henna. I think oil *can* strip henna, but perhaps that's only before oxidation?
    I don't know if it's still okay to oil after oxidation, I'm scared to try lol ! Last time I lost almost all my color using olive/almond oil mix. What oils do you use ?

“She was the most beautiful creature on Earth - her hair said so in that language only hair can speak.”

Length
    shldr/Clsc!/knee?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I've oiled my hennaed hair way after hennaing, right after hennaing, and while hennaing (I like it mixed into the mud). I haven't noticed anything stripping... I do tend to leak orange for a few showers following a henna application, but I think that's partially because I get sick of rinsing before the water runs clear and call it good enough. In any case, I still have tons of henna left on my head.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts
    Classic when wet? Maybe?! Wooo!
    Unless I state that I'm speaking as a mod, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.

Length
    18.00/22.5/29
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    I've oiled my hennaed hair way after hennaing, right after hennaing, and while hennaing (I like it mixed into the mud). I haven't noticed anything stripping... I do tend to leak orange for a few showers following a henna application, but I think that's partially because I get sick of rinsing before the water runs clear and call it good enough. In any case, I still have tons of henna left on my head.
    I do all of this too and have it bleed orange for a few days because I also get sick of rinsing it out. Lol. I find that rinsing it out with conditioner helps a lot though since henna dries my hair out.

I use oil right after and on a normal basis and I've never had this problem. I use apricot oil, coconut oil, or jojoba oil.
    APL, BSL, Waist, Hip, TBL, CL.

Length
    BSL/waist/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

If there was such an easy & simple way to remove henna as oiling, all those who actually want to remove it would use it and have no problems, but no - as you may notice, there are countless threads with people experiencing huge problems in doing just that So no, oils do not strip henna.

Length
    2"/Knee!/?????
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I've used avocado and coconut oils. I always feel like olive and almond are just too heavy for me.

I make sure that when I henna, I rinse really well, then I don't mess with it for about a week. I mean, not at all. I never have color loss of any magnitude.

Quote Originally Posted by RegretsHerCut View Post
    I don't know if it's still okay to oil after oxidation, I'm scared to try lol ! Last time I lost almost all my color using olive/almond oil mix. What oils do you use ?
    Knee - Calf - Ankle?
    Lady Strenia of the Unending Endurance in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    BSL/BSL/MBL
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

I've got black hair and I've done some henna glosses with coconut milk in the henna mix. I've had no problem with oiling hair afterwards.

Length
    pixie/SL/APL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

I do oil much more than ever before and my henna bleeds more then ever. But it does not affect the color at all.

Somewhere between the 12th century and now
    Length
    Bald/18"/FTP
    Type
    2b/2c/M/i/ii

I oil with coconut oil, argan oil, or olive oil, and have never experienced henna stripping because of it. Henna does seem to fade to a duller color over time, which is why I'm starting to use plain Cassia obovata to brighten things up every few months or so.
    Lady Frolics in the Sunlight-Dappled Faerie Linn & Del in the OLHK