Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: shea butter on my fine hair wow!

Length
    Bob/22/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/i

Default shea butter on my fine hair wow!

I bought some unrefined shea butter to try as coconut oil seemed to make my extremely fine hair 'crunchy'.
    the shea butter is great it gives real weight to my floaty hair and never makes it greasy it also brings out the waves in it. My hair feels really smooth and tangles less.
    what I would like to know is it as good as coconut oil and does anyone use it and have the same results, I am really pleased i found this!

Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: shea butter on my fine hair wow!

I love shea butter, too! I have always coconut oil but ever since I tried shea butter I rarely use my coconut oil.

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

I've tried and liked shea butter too, and it felt nice for my hair, but I'm too lazy to use it regularly. How do you use it? Like a light oiling, just a pinch rubbed between your palms? Or more?

Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Midnighthare, what do you mean when you say coconut oil made your hair feel "crunchy"?

Svenja, what makes you prefer shea butter to coconut oil?

(I'm glad it's working well for you, Midnighthare! I'm new to all the oiling options so I'm asking lots of naive questions!)
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29372&dateline=127544  1604

Length
    Bob/22/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/i

I pinch a bit off and smooth it all over and I put a bit more on the ends, I do this several times a day,it never looks greasy.

Length
    Bob/22/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/i

coconut oil seemed to sit as a film on my hair rather than be absorbed, the ends were very separated and it made it look greasy. With the shea it makes my hair feel really thick( my hair is virtually weightless!) plus it is absorbed.

Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jane53 View Post
    Svenja, what makes you prefer shea butter to coconut oil?
    Hey Jane - Shea butter is lighter than coconut oil. On the occasions when I had used a wee bit too much coconut oil my hair looked really greasy. With shea butter I have never had this problem. As shea butter is harder to melt in my hands I can control the dosage so much better. Furthermore shea butter does not make my hair crunchy when I use it on wet hair. I can use it both on wet and dry hair. I never had good results when I used coconut oil on wet hair. My hair felt dry and crunchy.
    And last but not least I can use a tat of shea butter on a daily basis to keep my flying top-hair down, which I could not with coconut oil as it is too heavy. The hair quickly looks over-oiled and nasty.

And before I forget, I use shea butter not only for my hair but face and body, too

Length
    shldr/Cls?!/knee?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Best of luck and power to you! I found shea butter to be extremely sticky on my hair.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Cassia obovata has been reclassified as Senna italica. Don't confuse it with cinnamon!
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts
    Unless I state that I'm speaking as a mod, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.

Length
    14"/21"/32"
    Type
    1c/F/i

I will have to try this! I have fine, floaty hair too, and the coconut oil just sits on top of the hair, it doesn't seem to soak in at all. Castor oil does, but it's a bit heavy for frequent use - shea butter sounds great!

Length
    17/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Okay, you've sold me! I gotta try this stuff out. I like coconut oil but I can never make it work as anything other than a pre-wash treatment.

Slight de-rail: After doing a bit of research, I found that some people use it to treat eczema! I get horrible eczema on my hands (ew, I know) and if it works for me, that would be awesome! The stuff I use now costs $16 for a tiny tube.