Thread: Coconut oil- does it clog your drains? Or make your hair stiff?

Length
    22"/21"/Long
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Coconut oil- does it clog your drains? Or make your hair stiff?

I want to try coconut oil, since it's the only oil that penetrates the hair shaft, but the whole "solid at room temp" thing makes me nervous. Has anyone ever had it clog or build up in their drains? And wouldn't it solidify in your hair and make your hair stiff?

Waist ~ Hip ~ TBL ~ Classic ~ Knee

Length
    Pixie/SL/Hip!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Coconut oil- does it clog your drains? Or make your hair stiff?

I don't have an answer to the drain question, but as for it stiffening your hair, are you planning on using it as a leave in, or as a DT? I feel like it solidifying wouldn't matter as long as you could wash it out with warm water after. In terms of leaving it in, I know a lot of people mix coconut with another oil to avoid the stiffening in the winter.

Length
    SL/Waist/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

I don't use enough coconut oil in my hair that it would clog my septic system. If I was doing oil pulling (you swish oil in your mouth like a mouthwash every day), I don't think my septic system would be able to handle that.

Even doing a deep oiling treatment with coconut oil, I only use about a dollop the size of a quarter. As far as stiffening hair, if you apply too much too often, sometimes your hair can get buildup from it and appear stiff.

April 2014 Length Shot
    Lady Rhoslynn Of Two Wheeled Thunder~Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

It's never clogged anything on my end. It also melts at about 75F or, umm, 24C, so it depends on the room you're in for whether it will be solid. I'm sure for general use (a very small amount applied) it wouldn't be nearly enough to make your hair noticeably stiff. You would likely need a much greater amount of it to get there. I do regular heavy oilings with coconut oil so I might experience that here and there, but not too often, and it doesn't bother me at all. Heck, with my hair texture it just looks like I have a little product in it, but I usually wear buns so likely nobody would notice. I may also mix it in with some avocado oil, too, which helps as well.

Length
    BSL/TBL/Term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Never had any problem with drains, but I had it stiffen my hair, looking like tiny white flakes. Thankfully, it looked great after I washed it out. But it never happens in warm weather, for obvious reasons. I prefer using warmed up coconut oil and I'm sure it penetrates hair way better when it's warm and runny.
    By the way, coconut oil is probably not the only penetrating oil, just the most researched. Palm, babassu, olive, avocado are very likely to penetrate due to their composition. I recommend this read: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca...coat-hair.html
    2a/2b - F/M - iii
    TBL >>> Terminal, if I can handle it!