Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Henna Guys - Some Healthy Skepticism ?

Length
    18/32/50
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Default The Henna Guys - Some Healthy Skepticism ?

I've been using henna now for over 35 years and generally pick the best body art quality henna available but while wishing to achieve cherry cola (blue red) I've resorted to inferior brands.
    Im not meaning to alarm anyone but I think people should have a healthy dose of skepticism when considering any type of henna from "The Henna Guys ."
    This henna does not have any dye release but doesn't offer any explanation as to how this is done. If it is innocent of being tampered with then why not state how it is done. There is no type of henna in nature with these attributes so I highly suspect something is added that these supplies are not stating in their ingredients list. Since using this henna I have had an unusually amount of shedding especially right after using it. I've suspected this for a while now but today someone else mentioned they had the same results which is my reasoning for posting this warning.
    Plus in their "burgundy henna " they changed the ingredients list without first letting their customers know. Before the ingredients were just henna and 5% hibiscus . (I got this variety along with the Deep Red ( that doesn't offer any percentage of hibiscus added.)
    Then all of a sudden they added indigo without changing any of their advertising. This , in my opinion is false advertising and also makes me question their ethics and integrity.

I am warning others to have a healthy dose of skepticism if using henna from these guys or considering doing so.

Length
    2"/Knee!/?????
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Re: The Henna Guys - Some Healthy Skepticism ?

I've never tried their henna, but how does henna not have dye release?

Length
    18/32/50
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Islandgrrl View Post
    I've never tried their henna, but how does henna not have dye release?
    Well exactly Apparently it was magically instant dye release
    I'm such an idiot. I know I can be gullible but

Length
    2"/Knee!/?????
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Okay, that doesn't even make sense. I'll be staying far, far away from their henna.

You're not an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by hennalonghair View Post
    Well exactly Apparently it was magically instant dye release
    I'm such an idiot. I know I can be gullible but

Yep, 100% agree. I did full head application of Henna Guys burgundy in the beginning of February and my hair started shading very badly after that. There were dull, like I just used some chemical. Also their henna 'bleeds', no matter how many times you wash your hair, this yellow stuff just keeps coming. Since February I did about 4 applications for roots only and now have a freaking BOLD spot right near my forehead and my hair is so thin

Length
    SL/CBL+/WL
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Reminds me of another henna company. You mix with warm water then apply right away. They use other things to alter the color. Less than a month later I was left with blotchy orange tone hair. It was not the pretty orange red either. So each month I was coloring and pay $11-12 for each pack.
    They make their own shampoo and conditioner too. It worked great but the ingredients simply did not make sense.

As consumers we should always keep up a bit of a guard. Companies are always trying to slip stuff past us.

I want to say each time I see your post I linger on your sig pic. The color is beautiful!!!

Have you tried using hibiscus with your usual henna to get the look you want? Letting the hibiscus steep for 20-30 minutes then cool. You can use it as the water mixed in after dye release. You could even buy the dried flowers and put them into a processor then mix right with the henna powder. There might even be hibiscus powder. Can not recall. Hibiscus will fade but you could do rinses often or make a spray to use. It is a pretty decent detangler. Good hibiscus will have a purple blue stain once it has been exposed to air long enough. I use hibiscus daily for my health and after I steep my bags they sit in my sink to cool. The red is still there but the outer parts of the drops on the sink have a purple blue color.
    Henna makes my hair happy!

CBL+ working towards WL+

The Naughty Mess says.... Seeshami's Avatar
    Length
    4/43/knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I never wait for dye release on my henna and i never have. I use henna maiden currently for the cherry cola color on the end and my method of squeezing up to get the fade works fine for ombre. Dunno if it helps. My ends are also pretty saturated.
    #DON'TLookInTheRiver

Length
    18/32/50
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

G
    Quote Originally Posted by Islandgrrl View Post
    Okay, that doesn't even make sense. I'll be staying far, far away from their henna.

You're not an idiot.
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by glitterdeva View Post
    Yep, 100% agree. I did full head application of Henna Guys burgundy in the beginning of February and my hair started shading very badly after that. There were dull, like I just used some chemical. Also their henna 'bleeds', no matter how many times you wash your hair, this yellow stuff just keeps coming. Since February I did about 4 applications for roots only and now have a freaking BOLD spot right near my forehead and my hair is so thin

Quote Originally Posted by Lavendersugar View Post
    Reminds me of another henna company. You mix with warm water then apply right away. They use other things to alter the color. Less than a month later I was left with blotchy orange tone hair. It was not the pretty orange red either. So each month I was coloring and pay $11-12 for each pack.
    They make their own shampoo and conditioner too. It worked great but the ingredients simply did not make sense.

As consumers we should always keep up a bit of a guard. Companies are always trying to slip stuff past us.

I want to say each time I see your post I linger on your sig pic. The color is beautiful!!!

Have you tried using hibiscus with your usual henna to get the look you want? Letting the hibiscus steep for 20-30 minutes then cool. You can use it as the water mixed in after dye release. You could even buy the dried flowers and put them into a processor then mix right with the henna powder. There might even be hibiscus powder. Can not recall. Hibiscus will fade but you could do rinses often or make a spray to use. It is a pretty decent detangler. Good hibiscus will have a purple blue stain once it has been exposed to air long enough. I use hibiscus daily for my health and after I steep my bags they sit in my sink to cool. The red is still there but the outer parts of the drops on the sink have a purple blue color.
    Oh yes of course I have. I've got an entire thread about it. I just got lazy and figured this sounded great, especially since I was only just doing mainly root touch ups. It was instant dye release and could colour my roots in about 90 to 120 minutes so I just thought it was the cats meow. I loved the colour but I never used it straight up anyway. I used Godrej Nupur henna with 9 additional herbs and then just added some of the henna guys henna for added colour. A couple times I used the henna guys straight up but not often.
    I use hibicus tea a lot and have dried hibiscus flowers and wanted to use this the last time only my vitamix wasn't working . Now I'll just use the coffee grinder instead. It's a healthier choice anyway which is the path I normally take but I got lazy.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seeshami View Post
    I never wait for dye release on my henna and i never have. I use henna maiden currently for the cherry cola color on the end and my method of squeezing up to get the fade works fine for ombre. Dunno if it helps. My ends are also pretty saturated.
    Yes I've heard you mention this before. Your hair colour is dope. I love it. I've heard of that brand but never tried it. I usually stick with the the Nupur and dried hibiscus flowers. It takes longer but well worth it.

Thanks Seeshami

The Naughty Mess says.... Seeshami's Avatar
    Length
    4/43/knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Pretty sure that a pinch of indigo is the only difference besides the lineage of the henna and your mix.

Edit: but from the range I can get from it, deep deep henna red to bright metalic carrot (I think that's what AspenSong called it) time and multiple application is part of it
    Last edited by Seeshami; March 21st, 2015 at 02:40 AM.
    #DON'TLookInTheRiver

Length
    SL/BSL/TB
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

You know .... A few of my close friends here know I've been going through a massive shedding. I attributed that to me being hypothyroid. It was a MASSIVE shed. It started after using henna from the henna guys. I never put it together. You know hennalonghair I stopped using it after the sneaky ingredient change but now reading this it makes sense. I went back to red raj and have not experienced what I was at all. Not that I was going to touch henna guys ever again but my daughter used it. I'll warn her too. This makes me a bit more mad on top of already being mad at them.
    {APL♥ BSL♥ MBL ♥ Waist ♥ Hip ♥ TBL ♥ Classic}