Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian herb washing

Length
    28/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/C/ii/iii

Default Indian herb washing

I found a copy of the article in livejournal (Thank you to whoever made that copy).

http://journals.fotki.com/dreamy1/

Length
    long/bob/n/a
    Type
    2c/F/iii

This article is abridged. For the complete article you can view the original wiki.

As soon as we have an articles section up and running I'll republish the complete article.

Thanks mira-chan for starting this thread!

Herb user/hair origamist icydove's Avatar
    Type
    2b/C/ii

I see the article is up now.

I was a little disappointed when I opened the thread. I thought it was our on-going discussion of Indian herb washing
    Wash: shikakai and amla tea, Condition: hibiscus and elderflower tea with honey
    Leave-in: aloe vera gel and apricot kernel oil, Extras when needed: coconut oil and shea butter

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Length
    ?/33/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Well Icydove we'd best get posting here then

I'm just trying to convert a friend of mine to herb washing who has dreads but never uses products cos regular products really irritate his skin. I gave him some shikakai, amla and brahmi mixed up to use, and a tub of coconut oil with rosemary and lavender EO's in to see how he gets on with it.
    http://img251.echo.cx/img251/7074/chloenewbig8rh.jpg
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    21"/23/32/30-34
    Type
    2a/M/i

I have a question. How long do the herbs stay before the conditioning effects are seen. Is it as simple as pour in rinse out right away???
    My hair has dried up since i've started herbs. It is really very confusing to me!!!
    I firstly put a teaspoon in a plastic cup and fill it with recently boiled water (from a thermus) hot enough to melt the cup a bit!!! haha
    Then i leave it 15 minutes and hop in the shower, pour through, leave it for about 30 seconds - 2 minutes then rinse. My hair feels slippery while rinseing, then if i rinse too much it is dry. Should i stop while it is still slippery? I strain the herbs also, unless it is really fine stuff, like neem. I normally use neem (for the germ killing after work)
    Any pointers on what i should do to add moisture? I use a henna wax mask too and occasionally add some honey, i've started conditioning after and i do use coconut oil a lot. I ACV rinse also.
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Length
    28/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_teesha View Post
    I have a question. How long do the herbs stay before the conditioning effects are seen. Is it as simple as pour in rinse out right away???
    My hair has dried up since i've started herbs. It is really very confusing to me!!!
    I firstly put a teaspoon in a plastic cup and fill it with recently boiled water (from a thermus) hot enough to melt the cup a bit!!! haha
    Then i leave it 15 minutes and hop in the shower, pour through, leave it for about 30 seconds - 2 minutes then rinse. My hair feels slippery while rinseing, then if i rinse too much it is dry. Should i stop while it is still slippery? I strain the herbs also, unless it is really fine stuff, like neem. I normally use neem (for the germ killing after work)
    Any pointers on what i should do to add moisture? I use a henna wax mask too and occasionally add some honey, i've started conditioning after and i do use coconut oil a lot. I ACV rinse also.
    Try using flower herbs instead of green herbs. They tend to be more moisturizing. For me how long I leave a herbs on depends on the herb and what form I'm using it in. Neem I have as a powder so I use it in mud form in a mix with other things and will leave it on about 30 minutes. Tea form, some I actually pour in and leave in, others I do the 2 minute wait then rinse out thing you do. Depending on my mood and hair condition.

Length
    long/bob/n/a
    Type
    2c/F/iii

Do you pre-wash oil? That's recommended it you use shikakai or amla. Coconut oil is traditional, but you can try any oil that your hair likes.

Length
    21"/23/32/30-34
    Type
    2a/M/i

Yep i always coconut oil (hair loves it!) after a shower, very heavily, so it gets socked in for the few days, then there is still enough left on. I use it a little if my hair is tangly- that is its way of saying it needs more oil.
    I know hibiscus is a flower herb, and chamomile. But i want to use neem to kill the germs after the pet shop.

Ok so i gather there are different methods, but which is better for conditioning. The longer i leave it in??
    I won't wash my hair till tommorow. I think i will oil it heavily tonight, wear it in a braided bun and then come home and wash it- it will still be full of oil- i think i will do neem, chamomile, amla and hibiscus. Maybe some fenugreek. I will make a honey and ACV rinse and hopefully all will go well! Then the next day when i have to wash after i will use a aloe and honey mask. I'm trying to pump in more moisture!!
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Length
    28/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/C/ii/iii

Yep i always coconut oil (hair loves it!) after a shower, very heavily, so it gets socked in for the few days, then there is still enough left on. I use it a little if my hair is tangly- that is its way of saying it needs more oil.
    I know hibiscus is a flower herb, and chamomile. But i want to use neem to kill the germs after the pet shop.

Ok so i gather there are different methods, but which is better for conditioning. The longer i leave it in??
    I won't wash my hair till tommorow. I think i will oil it heavily tonight, wear it in a braided bun and then come home and wash it- it will still be full of oil- i think i will do neem, chamomile, amla and hibiscus. Maybe some fenugreek. I will make a honey and ACV rinse and hopefully all will go well! Then the next day when i have to wash after i will use a aloe and honey mask. I'm trying to pump in more moisture!!
    Be careful about putting in too much at once. In my experience adding both hibiscus and fenugreek in a mix together produces instant overconditioning (icky limp gunked up hair) response. Separately they work just fine. I've tried only fenugreek, and only hibiscus, no problem. But even in the most concentrated (drying) shikakai and aritha mix if I put bot of them together I get the above problem.

Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Oh my gosh! I never knew some of you had compiled an article on Indian herb washing and had submitted it to wiki.
    You all are so awesome