Thread: Henna won't rinse out

Default Henna won't rinse out

Hi all. I'm new here and new to henna. I used henna for tbe second time 2 weekends ago. My hair looks great and feels great. However, my neck needs scrubbed each day, because it get stained indigo. My hands get indigo on them when I run my fingers through my hair. When I rinse my hair in the shower the water runs clean. Please help. I have a silk pillowcase on the way that I do not want to get henna on.

Length
    Pixie/19"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: Henna won't rinse out

Have you used any shampoo to wash away the residue? That's the first thing I would try.
    You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space, FEAR NOTHING.

I wish not to use shampoo. I am transitioning to cowash only. I was just wandering if this was normal? I would hate to have to put shampoo in my hair.

Length
    Bob/Waist/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

After hennaing you will need to shampoo. Even while cowashing you rarely can go completly without shampoo; most do a clarifying wash every now and then.

Length
    Shldr/Fgrtp/Knee?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Well then, did you CO wash?

I do agree that occasional shampoo use is generally necessary on occasion, though you might have to fudge a bit if you're allergic to sulfates. CO creates buildup for most people, though how fast depends on you, your conditioner, and your water. However, shampoo isn't intrinsically evil or damaging to hair, despite what more paranoid websites might say. It can be stripping and drying, but that's easily recovered from.

Some people have indigo come out when they henndigo, especially the first application. The second application tends to be more permanent. Honestly, if your water is running clear (heck, I'm too lazy to wait for that even), I'd call it good enough. Just use a dark pillowcase.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.

I did cowash. I read somewhere else in lhc to use like half a bottle of conditioner to help rinse hair. I've done that twice now...and still getting indigo on my hands. I am glad to hear the residue is normal, because I do like the brand I am using, and the local natural health store from where I purchase it. I ordered a shampoo bar today, and will await to use my new pillowcase.

I would just use a dark pillowcase...but I had to scrub my neck this morning from indigo. I wo my hair last night and put some grape seed oil ony ends. My hair looks and feels great. But my neck looked like it was badly bruised.

Length
    Pixie/19"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I use conditioner to rinse the mud out of my hair but it will not remove the residue. The amount of residue that comes out with even sulfate free shampoo is quite impressive. I get that you don't want to use shampoo but if you very well might have to on occasion if you plan on using henna.
    You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space, FEAR NOTHING.

Length
    BSL/Waist/H/L
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

I get henna to rinse out using water. I use henna glosses which are easier to rinse out. It does take a lot of water. Sometimes I'll take a break rinsing and come back later for another long rinse.
    Kay BSL > MBL > Waist

Thanks all! Now I need to figure out if this hair trim thing. Everything I read says something different.