Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henna on bleached hair!! - please help!

Default Henna on bleached hair!! - please help!

Good day to you all!

I'm a newbie here on LHC and in the world of henna and would greatly need and appreciate your support!
    For almost two years I have onle slightly bleached my hair with a product similar to Sun-In. Because my hair was light brown with lots of golden and copper undertones the lighter color (dark, dirty golden blonde) was magnificent and suited me better but... the summer sun and the lack of care I gave my hair made it dry, brittle and very very blonde!! (very light blonde does not suit me at all!). After a terrible demi-perm done with ammoniac which ended being more like a permanent my hair simply died on me.
    In the end I invested in a really good hairdresser that tried to fix my hair and made it light copper - that I found magnificent (especially since I was a redhead when I was younger) but the color wouldn't properly grab the last 3/4 of my hair. He tried this twice doing different types of highlights and lowlights and with an intense copper dye but the color still faded really fast.....

So I decided to switch to henna.

I first did a henna/cassia gloss - 25% henna/ 75% cassia mixed with an equal amount of conditioner and left it on for 30 minutes. The results: my roots (my fresher hair) ~4 inches are a splendid light copper that doesnt' fade (like the girl in the picture attached). The rest of the hair - blonde with some copper undertones
    Then I dyed the last 3/4 of hair just with 40% henna/ 60% cassia and left it on for 2.5 hours. The results are better but my hair still isn't even and blonder in some parts.

My question for you would be: what next? I plan on doing another henna in the next couple of days - only the bleached hair, not the roots because I want an even result. Should I still use 40/60 henna:cassia and leave it on for 4 hrs? Should I use 50:50 henna:cassia? Should I also use a gloss on my roots or should I leave them now as be?

P.S.: I mix both my cassia and my henna with lemon juice and leave for dye release for several hours. Are there any ingredients I could add to make the dye more copper, NOT more red? I know mixing with lemon juice makes for a more copper dye...

Length
    SL/APL+/Thigh
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Default Re: Henna on bleached hair!! - please help!

I'm not seeing pics.
    Growing to knee! At SBL (dry) and SBL+ (wet) currently

Length
    pixie/18"/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/iii

Mixing henna with lemon juice does not make it more copper. The only thing it does is dries the hair out. A herb tea or even hot tap water is preferable to neat lemon juice. If your hair is as damaged as you suggest in your first paragraph all that lemon juice is only going to fry it more.

The only thing to make henna "less red" is to cut with cassia.

I would leave your roots and do another 4hr 40/60 mix.
    1" (3.3.13), 18" (17.05.14), mini goal 23, BSL 28, WL 36, TB 42, CL 50, Knee 62

Length
    BSL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/i

I henna over bleached hair and have found that it has taken 10 straight hennas for 6 hours a time to get a deep colour (the saturation point seems to take a while to meet on bleached hair) so I wouldn't worry about reaching red.

I also found that henna took stronger to bleached hair when it was applied mixed only with herbal tea and applied to dry hair. When I applied it to wet it didn't take so well and left it still blond (I bleach then henna my roots so frequently experiment). So I think using such a weak mix with conditioner left on for a short time just wont be strong enough.

If you really want to avoid red then by all means keep the 40:60 cassia mix but don't add conditioner as to even it out you need more colour, not a gloss. Mix it just with chamomile tea, try freezing it and defrosting the next day before use for a stronger stain and leave it on for 4+hours.

APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I agree that lemon juice doesn't make henna more "copper". What lemon juice does is inhibit dye release, and a lower concentration of dye will give you a more copper color. It's also hopelessly drying and makes dye release take longer.

Keep your 60/40 mix, and try strong, hot chamomile tea instead. I think another application done properly will give you the color you're aiming for and even things out a bit more.

Remember the bits of your hair that have been chemically processed are going to react to henna differently than the ones that aren't. Just accept that you might not have a perfectly even color, and that with the shifting color in various lightings nature of henna, 99.9% of people will never notice.

Quote Originally Posted by kganihanova View Post
    I'm not seeing pics.
    Sorry, it seems I didn't attach the photo properly.

Like this, just a tad more intense

Loviatar, rohirririms, Nightshade, thank you all very very much for your advice!

I read somewhere that lemon makes for more copper but it seems it was wrong advice. I'll make the next one with some strong chamomile tea.
    Would marigold tea be just as good (I heard marigold could give more copper)? How long does it usually take till dye release? With lemon juice my henna needed ~4-5 hrs
    Also, rohirrrims, is it necessary to freeze and then defreeze henna to make it more potent? I'm wary of putting it in the fridge or freezer :s and prefer to leave it at room temperature and then use it directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Remember the bits of your hair that have been chemically processed are going to react to henna differently than the ones that aren't. Just accept that you might not have a perfectly even color, and that with the shifting color in various lightings nature of henna, 99.9% of people will never notice.
    I think that not having a perfectly even color is even more close to natural-looking red, so I wouldn't be against the final result. I just don't want any more bits of blond mixed with copper (as I have now).

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by VeNuSSN View Post
    Loviatar, rohirririms, Nightshade, thank you all very very much for your advice!

I read somewhere that lemon makes for more copper but it seems it was wrong advice. I'll make the next one with some strong chamomile tea.
    Would marigold tea be just as good (I heard marigold could give more copper)? How long does it usually take till dye release? With lemon juice my henna needed ~4-5 hrs
    Also, rohirrrims, is it necessary to freeze and then defreeze henna to make it more potent? I'm wary of putting it in the fridge or freezer :s and prefer to leave it at room temperature and then use it directly.

If I use steaming hot chamomile tea, I get good dye release pretty fast, but usually leave it for 4 hours. I actually do a blend similar to what you're doing, 35% henna, 65% cassia. Mix it up with hot tea, cover it up, let it sit for 4 hours. Apply to damp hair, wrap up, leave on ~3 hours or so.

Marigold would be fine, too. Chamomile and marigold are both so, so weak in color compared to henna that they don't affect the end color at all. But they're both nice-smelling, conditioning, very mild acids that are great for your hair and scalp. The list of things that impact henna is very small, which is why most of the ways to get copper are just various methods of diluting the potency of henna.

I think that not having a perfectly even color is even more close to natural-looking red, so I wouldn't be against the final result. I just don't want any more bits of blond mixed with copper (as I have now).

I think once you get a batch with proper dye release you'll be fine. Since you don't want to go to dark, I'd say multiple dilute applications are much better than full-out henna, since if you DO go too dark, it's a pain to lighten it back up.

Length
    BSL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/i

No, some of us just like to do that, and some of us just freeze leftovers to use again and find they stain better that way! But it is perfectly fine not to do that, it works well both ways so nothing to be wary of.
    Nothing will give more copper tones permanently because anything you add (like tea) is only temporary and will wash out. Marigold is yellow which is probably why people say it makes henna look more orange than red, but it will wash out. So don't worry about what you mix it with in terms of colour, just cut it with cassia to thin out the red to orange.

APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL