Thread: best way to get better ends

Length
    ?/27 in/27
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Question best way to get better ends

My hair is fine and I don't want to cut 5 inches off but the ends look dry from highlighting I had.
    What kind of conditioner could fix it?
    How fast does hair grow each month? Obviously, I need to star trimming more but a total haircut is not an option, I will never cut my hair, ever! I was just thinking to trim it every month=the amount it grows because from this point, I dont need my hair any longer.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: best way to get better ends

Teeny tiny trims and moisturizing treatments will do the trick! Good luck!
    I don't want to cut mine anymore, either.

Length
    CBL/WL/CL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

If you cut about half inch every 2 months you would maintain your length and eventually healthy growth would catch up and those ends would be mostly gone.
    "Unable are the loved to die for love is immortality."
    -Emily Dickinson

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ZeppHead View Post
    If you cut about half inch every 2 months you would maintain your length and eventually healthy growth would catch up and those ends would be mostly gone.
    There's your answer
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    SHL/~38"/Term
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I agree with Zepphead about the trimming, if you would like to get rid of it gradually and completely. However, I'm very familiar with bleaching fine hair and the care of fine hair after bleach. Also, we seem to have similar hair types from the hairtyping on your profile and I can offer you some advice on how to treat it in the meantime to help it appear less damaged. Or, at least, this is how I treat my bleach issues.

There are some products that are very good with dealing with bleach damage on fine hair. I generally hate coconut oil for my hair, but coconut oil and jojoba oil are amazing for the job even if it's greasy (repair is worth the grease). Further, a deep conditioner treatment containing protein is vital (I suggest the Organix line's keratin protein stuff or similar protein conditioning treatments/conditioners), and Aussie's 3 minute miracle can help tremendously. Helping repair or minimize bleach damage is a multi-step process and can take weeks.

What I usually do is, after bleaching - for you, this would be after shampooing - I rinse it and use a deep conditioner with protein on the length below my ears. I leave that in to soak for 30 minutes and rinse. After, I cover the length below my ears with a coconut oil/jojoba oil mixture and keep it braided or bunned throughout the week. Re-oil your hair if it feels necessary. The next time I wash, I'll use shampoo only on the roots (I never shampoo my length anyway) and then use Aussie's 3 minute miracle for the length below my ears as a conditioner. Leave that on for about ten minutes and rinse. After, I apply the oil mixture like after the last wash and keep it braided or bunned throughout the week. Re-oil as necessary. The next time I wash, I do as I normally do or use the protein conditioner some more. I'll oil it if I feel like it needs it, but it varies. Around this time is when my hair starts feeling much better and the damage is reduced or even completely gone. It takes me about three-five weeks for this process, so patience is needed.

Granted, even though we have the same or similar hair types, this process may work differently on you, but I hope I can help a little! The key to repairing/minimizing bleach damage is protein and moisture and finding the right balance of the two. Silicones (Aussie's 3MM) help seal in both and make the damaged hair smooth.

If I may ask, what is your current hair routine?

Length
    21/23/41
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I have this same issue too, only other than Henna I've haven't color treated my hair in the last eight years. I also haven't used heat styling in over a year. I try to trim my hair by the moon signs, so just took a bit off today. I don't like to use commercial products in my hair. When I first joined in May 2014 I was at 21 but now I'm at 23 inches. The healthy length does seem to be growing out. Some of the things I've done are invest in satin sheets, pillow cases and sleep top. I was doing water only but I got really bad dandruff and have stated using a honey treatment three times a week which I rise with water and let air dry.

As a natural girl here, I am unsure of products, but I know that while oil is generally moisturizing, coconut oil is the only (or one of the only?) oils that have molecules small enough to actually penetrate the hair follicle and do lots of good things for your hair.

If you are worried about greasiness, since you have straight and fine hair, just apply it on the ends (sparingly) and avoid the scalp! Just try a tiny tiny bit of oil at first, so as not to get turned off of the idea too quickly from the possible greasiness.

I hope this helps

I really hope this helps