Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Helmets

Default Motorcycle Helmets

Anyone found a great way to wear your hair under a motorcycle helmet?

Mostly I'm dealing with damage from getting the helmet off and on I don't know what to do, because a bigger helmet is, well, too big! I have a full face one piece helmet.

Default Re: Motorcycle Helmets

Bandanna that covers all the hair (including bundled up length somehow....I have to do a wide pancake flattish bun or too much hair sticks out and the helmut won't go on), tied on the back of the head. Then helmut. Consider a silk scarf. I cover my forehead with the bandanna/scarf. I do not fold precisely in half because I need a triangled tail to go all the way over my hair in the back, and then tie on top of that so it holds.

When the helmut comes off, if it's tight, the bandanna might too.

That's how I do it.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Length
    long/Short/??
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I've been wearing a Buff, and then tucking the end of the Buff along with the braid down the back of my jacket. It works ok, but I'm going to be watching this thread for other ideas!

Length
    pixie/pixie/44
    Type
    1a/F/iii

My dad used to braid his hair, slip a sock or silk stocking over it, then tuck it under his shirt over his shoulder then down the front. Used to drive my mother nuts when he would cut the ends out of her silk stockings.

Long hair not bricklayer. PseudoScot's Avatar
    Length
    ~17/Class/Class
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Did anyone see the Scrubs episode where JD gets a hairmet? It's a helmet to protect your hair do. Made me laugh! I don't think it's a real product though. Not sure if I can link to it here but you can find vids on YouTube.

Anyway, back to reality, the buff and handkerchief ideas are the best. Those are the kinds of hair protection things I find most comfortable,
    Previously hiding in Sherwood.

Length
    1/class/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I braid my hair and either use a buff, a bandana or a ski mask under the helmet. Sometimes I even use all three in combination, when itīs freezing . Best way to keep me warm and keep my hair protected. The braid getīs put into a sock with an elastic over it at the nape. Not very fashionable but effective and very secure. Never lost it until now. I even thought about using stripy tights just for fun, Iīm sure it would compliment my black bike and the black leathers ... but somehow never got around to actually do it. wonder about which size of tights my head would need. Hair-gloves do not work anymore, they are just too short.
    Not putting my hair into the helmet has one simple reason, my helmet fits perfectly, there is definitely no room for my hair in it.

Length
    shldr/27.25/???
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

I, too, wear a buff. It covers my head and protects my hair when pulling my helmet on and off.
    April 2009

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

I should wear a buff but I don't ride too often so when I do I just stick my braid down the back of my shirt or around to the front. I would not wear a silk one just because if you were to have a spill I think the silk would tend to make the helmet come off more easily. Just my thoughts. I think a buff would be better, something not so slick for safety reasons.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

Length
    12"/21"/30"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

My hair is still pretty short, but its definetly long enough to need to protect when I ride. I put it in a low pony tail and tuck it under a silk/satin scarf or bandanna. The only problem with that is that it comes off when I remove my full face helmet every time and I have to put myself back together before moving on.

Hm...I might try something like a bandana. I did wear one once and it came off with the helmet, but I don't mind having to put it back on every time. My helmet would not fit, I don't think, with anything more than a bandana. I could try a flattish bun.

Maybe someday I will be able to afford a modular helmet that's easier to remove/put on

Thank you all for the suggestions