Page 3 of 354 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Deep Conditioning/Treatment Check-in Thread

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: The Deep Conditioning/Treatment Check-in Thread

Quote Originally Posted by veryhairyfairy View Post
    I'm trying to use up the jojoba cream because I don't really like the way it feels/looks on my face. It also doesn't work very well as a hair oil because it causes an over-oiled look with the tiniest amount, so maybe a DT will be the way to use it up before it goes bad.

I'll probably leave it on for about 4 hours and then wash as usual (scalp wash with sulfate free shampoo, condition-condition).
    I hope the cream isn't too heavy and can be washed out in one go.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    0-2/37/42
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Oh, I actually happened to do a deep conditioning treatment yesterday, but the product was only on my length for 3-5 minutes. Garnier Respons mother of pearl & cherry it's called; bought it yesterday too and had never tried it before. Highly recommended! My hair hasn't been this smooth for... who knows how long!
    ...Did anybody say purple?!
    CBL APL MBL Waist Hip TBL Classic

Length
    20./27/40
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I just washed out a SMT that was left in for an hour while I cleaned house. It has been a while since I did one, great thread!
    AKA MotoGirl... August 2014 - WAIST! Four years after growing out from bald due to chemo.

Practicing Patience veryhairyfairy's Avatar
    Length
    APL/CBL/???
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I hope the cream isn't too heavy and can be washed out in one go.

I'm a little worried about that, for sure. But it wouldn't be a big deal since I never wear my hair down. I'll just hide it in a bun as an extra long DT if it sticks around.
    Formerly a Henna-Head, formerly FTL, formerly patient

Length
    Pixie/Hip/Cl+
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I would like to join in this thread as I'm now at a point where my hair has been growing for a while and had no deep treatments. But my problem is I've never done a deep treatment before and don't really know exactly how to go about it. So if I could get some DT newbie questions answered, you'd reeeally be helping me out. Thanks!

-Do you do DTs on wash day before you wash or do you do them as you feel you need them between washes (or both)?

-When you wash out a treatment, do you just wash as you normally do or is there something different you need to do?

-Would you apply some kind of leave in or use the LOC method after washing out a DT or is that too much all at once?

-Is there such a thing as too many DTs?
    Last edited by Avis; October 26th, 2014 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Thought of another question
    Pixie...Chin...Shoulder...Collarbone...APL...BSL...Waist...Hip...Tailbone...Classic

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Avis -

-Do you do DTs on wash day before you wash or do you do them as you feel you need them between washes (or both)?

Oilings - A day or so pre-wash.
    DT that require spreading goop on wet length - right before I'm planning to shampoo and condition,or right after shampoo.

-When you wash out a treatment, do you just wash as you normally do or is there something different you need to do?
    Uuh nope I don't do anything outside the norm afterwards...Maybe if I use a DT which contains oil,I don't use as much for taming hair when dry.

-Would you apply some kind of leave in or use the LOC method after washing out a DT or is that too much all at once?
    Depends on your hair really.For me after a DT my hair is almost too soft so it's best to stick it in a bun or braid and forget about it until around day 3 when it feels back to normal..

Definitely.Signs can be hair that feels coated,hair that feels dry and straw like,or hair that is too soft and may snap easily or be very stretchable.

Length
    Pixie/102cm/150cm
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I am likely not going to get to do my SMT today.

97 cm Photo taken 1-1-2017

Practicing Patience veryhairyfairy's Avatar
    Length
    APL/CBL/???
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

~It's both for me. I sometimes do a DT because I have the time to do one and I'd like to, but for the most part I DT on wash day.

~I do a normal wash after an oil-soak DT, but for conditioner-based treatments (like the SMT) I put it on freshly washed, unconditioned hair, and then just rinse it out after it's had some time to marinate.

~I always do my normal leave in routine after a DT. Either leave in conditioner topped with oil (my version of LOC) or just oil.

~Short answer; Yes.
    In more detail, it depends on what you're using as a DT. Protein DTs can cause protein overload if you use them too often (and only if your hair is sensitive to protein, some heads of hair can't get enough of the stuff). Moisture DTs like the SMT and anything with a humectant (aloe, honey, glycerin) can cause hair to become over-moisturized if used too often, but I've personally never experienced that. (I actually used an SMT as my regular conditioner for 6 months straight once and it made my hair wonderful... until winter came, and then it was split city!)
    As for pre-wash heavy oilings, I do one almost every time I wash my hair, and have done for years. Unless your hair dislikes the oil you're using, I sincerely doubt that oiling before each wash could be detrimental.
    Formerly a Henna-Head, formerly FTL, formerly patient

Length
    Pixie/Hip/Cl+
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Thanks LadyCelestina and veryhairyfairy! I've already washed for the week but I will definitely try some kind of treatment next week. I'm excited!
    Pixie...Chin...Shoulder...Collarbone...APL...BSL...Waist...Hip...Tailbone...Classic

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I have DTs every time I have it washed, double conditioning is a DT *every* time. Then after that comes the LOC method, so it's another layer of moisture on top of that. Can't be beat, IMMHO.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)