Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: don't know what to do with hair..always ends up dry and tangly

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: don't know what to do with hair..always ends up dry and tangly

There is a WO thread floating around out there. If you want to go that route, you will find a lot of information there.

Interestingly, conditioner removes oil better than shampoo does. I wait until the hair at my scalp gets oily, then I oil my length with coconut oil and braid for overnight. Then I wash my scalp with diluted shampoo, apply conditioner over the oil, and let it rest while I do all the other things I need to do in the shower or bath. Then I massage/finger-comb the hair with conditioner in it while I rinse, and the oil almost always comes out. Occasionally when it's very hot, it's harder to get the oil out, but I wear my hair bunned or braided until it's time to wash it again, and the oil always comes out then. Sometimes while it's wet, it feels like there is still too much oil on my hair, but by the time it's dry, it's clean and soft and silky.

If you haven't clarified in awhile, get some clarifying shampoo and give your hair a good wash. Do this even if you're going to try WO. That and baking soda is the only way to get rid of buildup, and baking soda is very harsh and can dry your hair out even more than it already is. Sometimes clarifying is like a miracle because it's the buildup that is making your hair feel dried out.

As Carolyn suggested, follow clarifying with a conditioning treatment.
    Last edited by spidermom; October 13th, 2014 at 08:23 AM.

Length
    27/30/35
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
    If I were you I'd try to get over the thought that only "natural" is better and it's going to cure your dry hair. I would suggest no brushing, wide tooth comb only. Oil your ends and bun your hair. Don't wear it down often. I would do a clarifying shampoo and then do a deep conditioning with a heavy moisturizing conditioner. Do it with a heat cap if you can. Have you tried CO washing? Have you tried diluting your shampoo and only washing your scalp? Conditioner is your friend.
    I have tried CO washing, but I could never find any good conditioner and stopped. I think i might give it a try again and if it doesn't work i will do WO. Only need to find one now.
    Last edited by Enrapture; October 13th, 2014 at 08:34 AM.

Bra Strap- 28 - 29 - 30 - 31 -Waist - 32 - 33 - 34 - Hip

Length
    Buzz/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Gertrude what interesting info about the different shampoo options!! Its funny because I always found a low SLS shampoo a bit gentler than natural shampoos I have tried.. maybe this is why! Definitely helps me relieve my sulphate guilt!!
    Virgin colour grown out ✅ Waist reached ✅
    Now heading towards hip!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I always wondered why my scalp reacted about the same to my harsher cleansers (sls & sles, such as Pantene, Herbal Essences) as my Urtekram shampoo.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2b/M/iii

Here is a video tutorial by LHC's own Heidi W, on how to oil your hair https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk
    Have you tried gentle upside down daily massage to stimulate your follicles to greater growth? Be sure and detangle your hair before and after the massage. use your fingerpads, never your nails.

As far as shampooing, use something gentle (dilute it a bit with water). You cannot have healthy hair unless your scalp is clean. Only wash when your hair needs it!
    Keep your hair detangled and up in protective styles.
    If you are not a curly, then I recommend daily brushing, with a pure boar bristle brush, for keeping your hair clean, healthy and soft and shiny.
    Water Only does not cleanse the hair.
    If you want to use oil, then I recommend mineral oil (baby oil). Use only 2 drops (applied to your palms, never from the bottle to your scalp).
    MO helps tame the frizzies, leaves no afterscent, washes out easily in the next shampoo. It is also very lightweight. Great detangler, too! Works best on hair that has been clarified first, but you can also use it on slightly damp hair. Use sparingly! I use it for detangling.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LadyCelestina View Post
    Oh I don't know if you can salvage truly dry hair by doing hardcore WO Water is quite drying.
    This is my thinking. I did 8 months of WO and ended up stopping largely because my ends were drying out too much with it. The oils I was applying and the oils from my scalp weren't sufficient to take care of my ends.

So here's what I'd suggest:
    Start by clarifying your hair. Shampoo all the way to the ends (usually you want to concentrate shampoo on your scalp and just let what runs down get your ends) using something like an SLS shampoo, full strength. This will help get any buildup off, but it's for occasional use only because it can be too harsh to do constantly.

Follow it up with an SMT, which is a moisturizing treatment that works well for a lot of people. There's a link in my signature for that. Leave it in for about 30 minutes, then just rinse it out.

-------

How are you wearing your hair most days? I often see people with bad ends below APL or BSLish who wear their hair down consistently -- my best guess is that leaning against it in chairs and the like is often the major cause for this. Updos that tuck the ends deep inside, held with something hair-friendly, are usually your best option for great ends, but they don't show off the length much.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

It sounds like you hair is dry and most likely has buildup from the Indian Herbs.
    I would suggest a chelating wash (in case you have hard water) or at least a clarifying wash.
    I would follow that wash with a really good deep conditioner and let sit 30 minutes under a shower cap.
    Rinse about 90% of the conditioner out and then squeeze out excess water. Once hair is not soaking wet add an oil to help seal in the moisture. A pea size or 2 depending on length. Rub it between palm to get it warmed up glide down the canopy and ends in a praying hands motion. Any washes the rest of week..use conditioner to co wash and re seal. After a week or 2 things should start to feel better if dryness is the cause. You can then sort out how often you want to shampoo from there or figure out your routine. I just think excluding dryness as a problem first would help.

Since frizz is also a reported problem..do not comb/brush it during the drying process. This should help also.
    Once dry you add a little shea butter/coconut oil to smooth any frizzies if you have them.

Just my suggestion but I do understand not wanting to use products.
    If you are thinking of going WO, it would still be best to clarify first for a fresh slate.
    Cut hair 11.06.2013 to CBL. Patiently waiting for it to grow back strong and healthy.
    Photo taken 12.04.2013