Thread: Amish pins

Length
    32.5/41/hmmmm
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Re: Amish pins

Hi Madora
    Thank you!
    Actually no, I am not sure I use them correctly at all I never had them before. so Thank you for the Tutorial, I will give it a try!

Yes, they are true Amish pins, no balls at the ends, and the metal is so thick and hard it's hard t bend back with fingers. it does not bend in a V shape, it just spread out. All the crinkles are still there, but the pin behaves like a spring. Maybe I just try to grab too much hair into one pin.... I also have dollar store crinkled pins, with ball tips ( they do snag a hair here and there) and the can be finger modeled back in shape easily.

oh well, I am sure I didn't use them right until now Thank you Madora,your advice is always so useful !!!!!

Length
    32.5/41/hmmmm
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

so I cannot delete a double post? sorry
    my computer is so slow, and then it does this double thing
    Last edited by Adiro; October 1st, 2014 at 02:28 PM.

Type
    2b/M/iii

[QUOTE=Adiro;2836510]Hi Madora
    Thank you!
    Actually no, I am not sure I use them correctly at all I never had them before. so Thank you for the Tutorial, I will give it a try!

Yes, they are true Amish pins, no balls at the ends, and the metal is so thick and hard it's hard t bend back with fingers. it does not bend in a V shape, it just spread out. All the crinkles are still there, but the pin behaves like a spring. Maybe I just try to grab too much hair into one pin.... I also have dollar store crinkled pins, with ball tips ( they do snag a hair here and there) and the can be finger modeled back in shape easily.

oh well, I am sure I didn't use them right until now Thank you Madora,your advice is always so useful !!!!![/QUOTE

Wow, you're a brave soul, Adiro! Steel Amish pins..the real deal..with no ball tips! My scalp would take one look at those and shrivel up, screaming all the way!

Yes, sometimes the "ball tips" on the crinkled pins go amuk (usually after a lot of use). Just pitch it in the dustbin and use a new one!

If your crinkled pin should "expand" overly much, just pinch the legs close together again and try again. That's one thing about those crinkled pins, you can use them over and over and over until the cows come home..or the paint comes off. Glad I could help!

Length
    32.5/41/hmmmm
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Actually I am not sure that I understand how they got from photo no 3 ( pins showing, I get to this stage as well) to photo no 4 ( pins not showing)...... what is the magic trick, to hide even the bridge of the pin?

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Adiro View Post
    Actually I am not sure that I understand how they got from photo no 3 ( pins showing, I get to this stage as well) to photo no 4 ( pins not showing)...... what is the magic trick, to hide even the bridge of the pin?
    Shhh! I made a pact with da Debil...so no hairpins appeared in that final pic! Actually, I think it was the camera angle. But you can accomplish that feat too...or darn close to it, if your hairpins match your hair color. Alas, the most common colors are black, silver and occasionally, a rich bronze.

Length
    32.5/41/hmmmm
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Haha, I make no pact for better things, much less for some Amish pins Yeah, my hair is bicolor, I have dark redish brown on the bottom , and yellowish blond on the top, and when the roots are growing, it's tri-color, with ash brown and silver on top of the other colors
    . So I need rainbow color Amish pins, to hide well in my hair

Length
    17/23/29
    Type
    3c/C/iii

I bought mine here. They do ship worldwide. But to Belgium, I saw that 13.68 worth of hairpins would cost $13.68 to ship, doubling the price. It maybe different to different countries.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/mennonitemai...1&_ipg=&_from=
    I have never seen pins like these in Sally's or department stores. What my hair does to regular hairpins, you would not want to know. It's unable to damage these and they STAY. The only problem I have with them is that they only come in the silver color of steel.
    I did try the Amish pins without the crinkles and they didn't work for me (my hair spat them out. slowly. but they did come out.). I use the 3 inch version of these ones, crinkled and I have a set of 12 bought 2 years ago and I've never needed more because they don't deform, don't break, don't get lost in my hair and don't get lost period, because they stay exactly whre I put them and I can take them out in the evening. Or sleep with them in. I've done t hat, too.
    <a href=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg.html target=_blank>[IMG]<a href=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg target=_blank>http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...psb7di14pc.jpg</a></a>[/IMG]</a>Proud to be a tightly curly!
    (SL-APL-BSL-Midback-Waist!)

Length
    22/28/40
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by In2wishin View Post
    Not that I know of but there are a number of Amish in Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin so depending on if you will be staying in the city itself or will be traveling in the region you may be able to find an Amish run store out in the farmland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    Yes, I've seen the "crinkled" Amish hairpins in places like Target, Walgreen's and Wal Mart. When you visit Chicago, you might want to see if you can find a nearby Sally's Beauty Supply. They'd be sure to have them. Or if no Sally's, then any other beauty supply outlet. Crinkled hairpins have been a hair staple for decades.

Thanks! If I'm going, I'll be staying in the city for just a few days, but I'm definitely interested in going to a Sally's store anyway. On youtube videos and things like that I see that they're selling hair pins in like big boxes. Here in the Netherlands they are in small packages of about 15 pieces each (and quite expensive as well), so I might spend some extra money on that.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by YGDW View Post
    Thanks! If I'm going, I'll be staying in the city for just a few days, but I'm definitely interested in going to a Sally's store anyway. On youtube videos and things like that I see that they're selling hair pins in like big boxes. Here in the Netherlands they are in small packages of about 15 pieces each (and quite expensive as well), so I might spend some extra money on that.
    Hopefully you can visit the Sally's in the city. If not, here is the link to Sally's on line: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Jumbo-Hai...irpins&start=3

I use this brand of hairpins and they are great! It all boils down to HOW you use them. They do work, but only if you insert them correctly.

Length
    12/CL/52
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Just discovered there's an Etsy shop!
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/MennoniteM...hopheader-name
    I've been buying from them for ages. Good shop. Once they sent me the wrong order and I emailed them about it and they sent the right stuff out ASAP and told me to keep the others.

Quote Originally Posted by bustang65 View Post
    They try to use these pins also to secure their prayer caps. My Amish friends do not remove their prayer caps often. Some of the stricter women sleep in them, but my friends remove them at night. Many also use sharp sewing pins to secure their caps. Then the bonnets go over the prayer caps when they go out in public. They believe that women must have a covering. (As an Apostolic, we believe our glorious hair is our covering. ) I've always wanted pins like these. Since most don't cut their hair and it's always up and not styled, most of them have very long and thick hair.
    Not the ones that live by me. Many of them have traction alopecia and their hair looks a bit rough because they don't believe in vanity so they don't use good conditioners on their hair and they roughly brush it up into tight, tight buns every single day.

Hair in Sunlight

Kindness consists of loving people more than they deserve.