Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help

Question I need help

I'm not sure if this is where I pose this question or if there's a different place, but I need advice on what could be causing my hair to grow so slow. When I was like 11 it used to grow like a inch a month, now that I'm 16 I'm lucky if it grows a inch in 6 months. I have a decent hair routine. I wash 1-2 times a week with mane and tale or suaves sleek, I deep condition once a week though sometimes I skip. I use a damage erasing balm once a month (it has A LOT of protein.) I moisturize my hair at least every other day. I also use coconut and olive oil after I moisturize. And I braid my hair up at night. So what could be hindering its growth??? I mean I only ever use heat every like 3 months and when I do it's a heat protectant.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: I need help

Ditch the heat! That is a major culprit for creating damaged hair.

What is your diet like? Do you eat sensibly? Get enough water? Exercise moderately?

Lay off on conditioners and moisturizers! Do it once a month! You don't want to weigh your hair down.

Hair only grows so much per month..and that can vary widely.

Try daily gentle scalp massage in the bent at the waist position to encourage sluggish hair follicles.

Be sure and detangle gently, with a wide tooth comb. Daily brushing with a bbb can yield wonders when it comes to healthy hair.

Ease off on the protein stuff. Instead, EAT protein.

Be patient! Learn how to do hairstyles so you won't become bored with your hair. Check out Torrin Paige's vid tutorials on You Tube!

Hair grows at faster/slower speeds during different stages of life. It also grows faster/slower in different months.

Keep your hair trimmed slightly (once every 4 months). Do S and D every week, with SHARP SHEARS.

Wear a silk cap, or use a silk pillow case cover to protect your hair at night. Wearing your hair in a braid is a good idea.

Wash your hair when it needs it! Once a week is usually enough, unless you have an oily scalp..or work in a dusty environment.

Remember: Less is more! Good luck!

I eat we'll and even started taking hair skin and nails gummy vitamins. I only use the heat when it's a special occasion, and I moisturize my hair so much cuz it's insanely dry. I don't excerise a lot but I do spend a lot of my time walking and standing. I also use a silk pillow case already. Thanks for the advice!

Type
    2b/M/iii

Walking is good! Your hair will thank you for that silk pillowcase!

But remember, supplements do not take the place of nutritious meals. Food is what nourishes hair. I found out that fact the hard way..and nearly died because of it. Eat sensibly.

You might want to look into using Mineral Oil (baby oil) to moisturize your hair. It is very lightweight, has no after scent, helps tame frizzies, and moisturizes. You only use a drop or two, and the oil is always put in your hands, never directly from bottle to hair. Just smear the MO on your palms and fingers, then run your hands through your hair several times until the oil sheen has almost disappeared from your hands. Washes out easily in the next shampoo

Works best on hair that has been clarified first, but you can put it on DAMP hair as well. I use 4 drops as a detangler. It is also dead cheap! A bottle will last forever!

Length
    30.5/?/term
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

Are you eating healthy, especially getting enough protein?

Do you get your hair trimmed?
    Now: widest part of my calf

Favorite hairstyles: Elling Woman bun Amish braids

Length
    15/19.5/9999'
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Eating more and engaging in daily exercise (even a quick jog across your lawn!) will increase your cellular turnover rate and cause your hair and nails to grow a lot faster. I use bicycling because I had a great time in my teens with it.

And definitely get a little more protein than you think you need. It will still probably be less than you need! Do you use a nutritional calculator? Try Fitday or similar, they are game changers all the way. Protein aside, total caloric intake should also be high to encourage growth.
    Last edited by Knifegill; September 24th, 2014 at 11:08 PM.

Mother of Crocodiles YvetteVarie's Avatar
    Length
    TWA/TWA/max
    Type
    4a/4b/M/C/ii/iii

What's your hair type? Some of the advice does differ with hair type. For example, if you have very tight curls like me, combing actually leads to breakage. Use a wide tooth comb, or just finger detangle. If you do use a wide tooth comb, don't use it too much.

Also is your hair fine, medium or coarse? Is your hair low or high porosity? Answering these questions will lead you to threads with people with hair similar to yours and you can get advice that is much more tailor made to your hair. Hope this helps
    fade -> EL->NL ~> APL ~> BSL ~> MBL ~> WL (stretched goals)

Cut off locs and restarting hair journey

Length
    28/42.5/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

I agree we need to know more about your hair texture. Do you get your hair trimmed regularly or is it just growing? Maybe your ends are breaking off because they are too weak or your stylist is cutting off too much.

Do you measure your hair? I suggest that you start measuring every month and thereby keep track of how much your hair really grows. If you have wavy or curly hair, sometimes the curl eats up all the growth and you just think it isn't getting longer (which is again why we need to know your hair type).
    ...procrastinating the new signature...

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Any chance you just sort of ,grew up taller since you were 11?Do you measure that inch in 6months on a tape or just guesstimate it?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by darklyndsea View Post
    Do you get your hair trimmed?
    Yes this! ^^ If you are getting trims every 6 to 8 weeks, "as you should" (no you don't) then no wonder.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)