Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cone free conditioners in the UK...United Kingdom

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: Cone free conditioners in the UK...United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by pariate View Post
    I love Naturally Thinking I get a lot of my aromatherapy supplies from there.
    That's good to hear, I am looking at their sulphate-free shampoo because it has barely any ingredients! I am hoping it will suit my sensitive skin and I can add coconut or whatever to it.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox7275 View Post
    This is a great resource, thank you Bunnii! I would like to add http://www.naturallythinking.com/ which a paraben and cone free conditioner base similar to The Soap Kitchen, but cheaper and you can add up to 10% oil.
    At this point I cannot recommend Naturallythinking. I placed an order for shampoo and they sent the wrong item - worryingly it appears two products have the same bold text on the label! Worse, I contacted them last week and am still awaiting a response. Will update again when the matter is resolved.

Update 21/4: No response whatsoever to the three messages I have sent over the past two weeks (returns form, support and helpdesk e-mail addresses) and Paypal dispute! I've checked my spam and the messages function on the NT website, return request is still pending. After sales service appears to be non-existent, just discovered they are soliciting positive reviews on Facebook by offering a discount!
    Last edited by Firefox7275; April 21st, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    15/apl/Waist

Alberto balsam has a new fragrance Coconut and Lychee, yum, and its cone free
    I just bought some

Length
    29 in/29 in/29 in
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by pixiestar View Post
    Alberto balsam has a new fragrance Coconut and Lychee, yum, and its cone free
    I just bought some
    The ingredients may have changed, but the one I've got in my hands right now has Cyclopentasiloxane and Cyclohexasiloxane, which are 'cones as per http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=13

Length
    29 in/29 in/29 in
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

The line of Superdrug branded products must have change, couldn't find any of the ones mentioned.
    Among the new ones, I decided to try this one, which AFAIK is 'cone free.

Superdrug Green Apple and Lime Conditioner
    Aqua, Cocamide MEA, Cetyl Alcohol, stearyl alcohol, glycerin, cetrimonium chloride, citrus medica, limonum, peel extract, pyrus malus extract, ceteareth-20, benzophenone-4, propylene glycol, sorbitor, parfun, linalool, limonene, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, phenoxyethanol, metylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, butyparaben, lactic acid, citric acid, sodium hydroxide, CI 19140, CI 42051

Superdrug Essential Balancing Conditioner - Peach
    I'm not a 100% sure about this one, it has ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate in the list, it's not on the silicons list, but it's a UV filter that's not soluble in water. No idea if that's a problem or not.
    I shall list the ingredients, if someone can help confirm it's ok?
    Aqua, cetearyl alcohol, glyceryl stearate SE, Prunus Persica Juice, Panthenol, cetrimonium chloride, paraffin, niacinamide, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, BHT, trideceth-9, bisabolol, parfum, propylene glycol, benzyl alcohol, methyllisothiazolinone, magnesium nitrate, magnesium chloride, triethylene glycol, 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol, methylparaben, lactic acid, citric acid.

I note that Green Apple and Lime Conditioner, as well as the Apple Conditioner from Sainsbury's have Sodium Hydroxide - in very small quantities I assume - but in the ingredient directory she says it's really bad for hair... http://tightlycurly.com/Ingredients.aspx

Once I've found a routine that works for my hair I shall look for something more natural. I was using non-cony IOMI AMO / Food for Body / Emilia / organic cosmetic Nourishing Conditioner, which I get from WholeFoods in London, but it's expensive (comparatively), so I'm gonna put to rest my aversion for parabens/sls and other nasties for a few weeks while I get through my LHC newbie product compulsion, as it'll cost me less...

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by HelloKitteh View Post
    I note that Green Apple and Lime Conditioner, as well as the Apple Conditioner from Sainsbury's have Sodium Hydroxide - in very small quantities I assume - but in the ingredient directory she says it's really bad for hair... http://tightlycurly.com/Ingredients.aspx
    Ingredients lists are arranged by amount - the largest percentage will be at the beginning of the list (often Aqua/Water), and the smallest percentage will be at the end of the list, so the amount of Sodium Hydroxide used is very small. In the TC dictionary, she notes that "in smaller concentrations, it's used as a pH adjuster" - it's the higher concentrations that are something to avoid, I wouldn't worry about it if it's right near the end of the list. I've been using Tesco Smooth conditioners to CO with for a while now, which have it as their third-to-last ingredient, and it hasn't had any of the effect that it would in higher concentrations.
    Last edited by pepperminttea; February 10th, 2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Clarity. (Or some semblance of it...)

Length
    29 in/29 in/29 in
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

ETA: Ah, the reason I was still worried (I knew there was something that triggered my concern!) is because in her CO list she mentions one from the list that she would not recommend for leave-in - and I assume anyone thinking a conditioner that is OK for CO should be OK for leave-in too. As she says, as CO only

http://tightlycurly.com/products/rinsingconditioners/
    "Pantene Relaxed & Natural Intensive Moisturizing Conditioner
    ... the ingredients had changed on it and now it had Sodium Chloride in it. [...] So I can't use it as a combing conditioner any longer. However, it can be used as a fine rinsing conditioner since you will rinse the salt away (and it's only in there in a tiny amount, so if you rinse it out it should be totally fine. I just don't feel comfortable recommending leaving it in any longer. "

So that might still be important to keep that in mind when choosing CO conditioners fit for other uses.
    Last edited by HelloKitteh; February 12th, 2012 at 06:20 AM.

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

So far I've had great luck with the Boots value conditioner (80 odd pence for a big bottle), but if I ever feel like branching out this list will be invaluable. Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Length
    Tbl/Apl/Jaw
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Morrisons jojoba is cone free and has a very simple ingredients list, it costs about 80p for 750ml I think. There is also a Morrisons apple one which I think is cone free but havn't used
    CO washer - Grahtoe - Dresses only - De-clutterer - LHC addict

Type
    1c/2a/M/i

Thanks everyone for a wonderful thread!

I'm relatively new to the concept of looking after long hair and was getting horribly frustrated that everything anyone recommended was unavailable in the UK. I salute everyone that has added to the list so far