Thread: Healing Scalp with Honey

Length
    7/BSL/IDK
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Healing Scalp with Honey

I wanted to put this info out because maybe someone could be helped.

I started having scalp discomfort 15 years ago. Lots of redness, itching and a weird spot that just stayed red and raised. Thinking it was caused by hair dye, I quit dying it. That helped some, but I soon was reacting to shampoo, gels and mousses. At least six doctors looked at my scalp and every one of them would reluctantly give me the diagnosis of seborrhea dermatitis, despite there not being any scales or even dandruff. Just inflammation and extreme discomfort.

I've tried many, many things - organic, natural and not. Nothing worked really well. Until last month.

I started adding a teaspoon of raw, organic local honey to very diluted Toadstool unscented shampoo. It has consistently been working for me. No inflammation. My scalp is not burning or itching. I feel "normal" after 15 years. I hope it continues.

So to anyone suffering from scalp issues, I suggest you try the honey. I've always heard honey was healing, but I really believe it is!

CS

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Healing Scalp with Honey

That's really good to hear you have found something that works, it must feel amazing after all those years of suffering. Honey is amazing stuff, I always suggest it when someone has skin problems.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    28/CL+/???
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

oh, thank you for the info about honey! My sister has exactly that problem with her scalp after colouring her head few too many... I shall tell her to try some honey

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    35/hip/-
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Ooh, that's really interesting. And thanks for the link, Firefox! I've had an irritated, pimply scalp for some weeks, as well as seb. derm. (flakes and all), and frankly I'm over it. My nephew keeps bees out the back of our house, so I'll try their honey on my head.
    From Hip to Ankle and now back to Hip again.

Type
    2a/F/i

I love honey for skin, hair, and of course eating! Glad you had success!

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

That's so encouraging, CS! I started having scalp issues not long ago - everytime I wash my hair I get heavy itching as soon as they're dry.
    I temporarily got rid of the problem with herbal tea rinse, but it didn't help to solve it. I will definitely give honey a try - thanks for sharing

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I absolutely love honey (especially its humectant and mild anti-bacterial properties) and use it very often as a mild skin wash and in hair masques and treatments.

I would just add that the reduction in irritation may be not only or so much due to the healing properties of honey as the result of dumping the products that caused some irritation initially. Skin has amazing self-regenerating properties and one of the first things that dermatologists recommend when you have an unidentified redness/irritation is to stop using all product and just keep it clean. If originally you used a product that contained some irritating ingredient(s), just dropping it can do miracles. It's very hard but important to identify/avoid irritants.

Length
    7/BSL/IDK
    Type
    1b/F/ii

meteor, I've used Toadstool unscented shampoo off/on for several years (very diluted) as well as many natural shampoos or ones claiming to be scalp sensitive. It made a little difference, but nothing like the addition of honey. It really is the honey in my case.

Length
    35/hip/-
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I'm sitting here with honey on my head, as per the link Firefox gave. Two hours down, one more to go... your method would be a lot easier, Caldonia Sun!
    From Hip to Ankle and now back to Hip again.