Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Self Defense for Long-Hairs

Length
    16 in/16 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

Default Re: Self Defense for Long-Hairs

I'm totally psyched. I want to practice on the next man that walks by my house!!! Just kidding, sort of.
    High Priestess Milkthystle of Glowing Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

ETA: Oh, and Kaelee, the wrist is actually a very good point to attack and unarm someone. The wrist is a more "sensitive" joint (I think it might be a pressure point? I can't recall 100% offhand), so attacking it will give a sort of "shock" to the attacker, and it makes them more likely to drop the weapon.
    I realize that, but effectively attacking the wrist while it's behind the back of your head- and putting yourself in a vulnerable position at the same time, isn't necessarily the best idea. Especially since, once you have a hold on the attacker's wrist, they can let go of your hair, in turn grab YOUR wrist, and give YOU the wrist shock. Or pull your arm down and put you on the ground. Or pull your elbow down and put you on the ground.

Shoulder--APL--BSL--Waist--Tailbone+
    Disc bun tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YzsZ_s-U4

Length
    mbl/hpl/tbl?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelee View Post
    I realize that, but effectively attacking the wrist while it's behind the back of your head- and putting yourself in a vulnerable position at the same time, isn't necessarily the best idea. Especially since, once you have a hold on the attacker's wrist, they can let go of your hair, in turn grab YOUR wrist, and give YOU the wrist shock. Or pull your arm down and put you on the ground. Or pull your elbow down and put you on the ground.
    Ooohhh, okay, I see what you mean. I can see not getting a good grip when their hand is behind your head, but I'm not sure about the rest. I mean, unless they were a trained fighter, I doubt that they'd think that quickly to pull off all that you mentioned. I'm not an expert, though, so maybe I'm underestimating.

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nedertane View Post
    Ooohhh, okay, I see what you mean. I can see not getting a good grip when their hand is behind your head, but I'm not sure about the rest. I mean, unless they were a trained fighter, I doubt that they'd think that quickly to pull off all that you mentioned. I'm not an expert, though, so maybe I'm underestimating.
    I would never assume that an attacker is not a trained fighter, they very well could be.

ETA: This is assuming that you are unable to turn around while they have a hold on you. I didn't watch the video, just read the description, so I may be off in what I am picturing. I would still go with the "get low and hit where you can" though. Or turn, grab the wrist and hit them where it hurts at the same time or one right after the other. "Turn, grab, strike" in rapid succession. If you can turn around. If not, drop the center of gravity low and hit hard where you can. Elbows are good for this.
    Last edited by Kaelee; August 17th, 2014 at 07:00 PM.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Always go for the groin, that's what my grandad told my mom, that's what my mom always told me.
    Right! If some dude grabs me by my hair, I'm grabbing him by his ....
    I think it's both fair and effective kind of strategy!

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

^ Even if it's a woman that's the attacker, a solid heel strike or knee strike to the groin will hurt like hell on anyone.
    Just a crazy craftaholic! ^_~ http://craftaholicadventures.blogspot.com/
    Longest: Classic. Shortest: Chin length. Currently: Waist.

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by swords & roses View Post
    ^ Even if it's a woman that's the attacker, a solid heel strike or knee strike to the groin will hurt like hell on anyone.
    Yep!

*extra characters*

Many thanks for that video. Learned a lot.

Can I make you ladies a suggestion?
    If you have a husband, boyfriend, a male good friend or whatever, "practice" on him.
    You don´t have to be rough, just play around and let him grab, hold your arms, legs etc so you learn how it feels when someone gets a hold on you. (Hope you understand what I mean)

My husband is taller and much stronger than me and we do "fool around" like this sometimes and that has made me really understand how hard it can be to defend yourself.
    First time was a schock for me since I knew he wasn´t holding me as hard as he could, if he wanted to. I thought I could do more then I could.
    But it have really helped me to know week spots and what´s no meaning to try to attack when they are stronger then yourself and what my own week spots are.
    My cats aren´t spoiled. I´m just well-trained.

Length
    CB/knee!/Knee
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Éothyn View Post
    Thank you so much for sharing this. Though hopefully none of us will ever need to put this knowledge to use Forwarding to friends - after all, most everyone has some length of grabbable hair.
    Yep. You don't need much for grabbing. Anything a little longer than bob to floor length is long enough. If they grab from the roots as they showed in the video you don't need much more that a couple of inches length.

I took a self defense course once. We cover the hair grab part too- if they grab you hair from the length and not from the roots you simply turn around and then there a lot more options for defense yourself because now you are face to face to the attacker. So the length isn't a real problem.
    Hair type: 2a\f\M\ii\iii Back to classic (again) April 2015.

Where it's cold then hot then cold then hot...
    Length
    17.5/24/42
    Type
    2a/M/ii

My mom who was a model turned truck driver told me to carry a small blade. Small enough to hide in your hand.

That saved her when a man attacked her. I don't know how good of an idea that is but she has hair to her bum and he let go real quick and she was able to get back to her truck and get to safety.

She was a long haule trucker then.