Thread: Sudden Oil-splosion

Length
    20"/29.5/???
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Sudden Oil-splosion

I used to get really flaky build-up and thought that meant I needed to wash my hair frequently, with a sulfate and zinc shampoo.
    After learning more, I started stretching washes with diluted sulfate shampoo, and my scalp problems went away.
    I've been using different sulfate-free shampoos three times a week for about a year now.
    About two weeks ago my face and scalp started producing tons of oil for no apparent reason.
    Same water, same skincare routine, same shampoo, same conditioner.
    My scalp has buildup, but also is itchy and sore. I can't really wait as long as usual to wash it, because then it starts shedding.
    It's really tempting to use a sulfate shampoo to feel really clean, but I'm worried that will make the oil problem worse.

Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do?

Length
    WL/TBL/FTL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

Default Re: Sudden Oil-splosion

Have you moved to a new area recently? Is your scalp not used to a certain water type? I moved to an area with hard water about 8 months ago and I noticed that I got greasier faster than I used to; I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

If not, are you a woman? Have you changed your method of birth control recently? Switched pills, got an IUD in or out, etc?
    Have you stopped or started a medication recently? You might have some sort of hormonal imbalance. Maybe ask a doctor about it if you are not sure. A dermatologist or your regular doctor. I'm not sure what else it could be. I hope you find a solution!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Might just be buildup, if there's no other possible explanation. If so, washing once or multiple times with a clarifying shampoo (regular sulfate, no silicone shampoo) might be the only solution.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    WL/TBL/FTL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Might just be buildup, if there's no other possible explanation. If so, washing once or multiple times with a clarifying shampoo (regular sulfate, no silicone shampoo) might be the only solution.
    Forgot about buildup. This makes the most sense.

Length
    APL/WL/TBL
    Type
    3b/F/M/iii

I was using a sulfate free shampoo that had tea tree in it just fine for about a year.
    Then suddenly I started shedding so I stopped using it. The shedding stopped.
    Now I sometimes try the shampoo again to see if the effect is the same. Yup! Instant shedding.

You can become allergic to an ingredient after a while.

Just a tip. This might be the case for you too.
    Last edited by Kiwiwi; July 13th, 2014 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Spelling

Jan 22 2014. Can't wait till waist curly!

I wonder if it might not be a form of seborrheic dermatitis caused by irritation from the shampoo? Is it possible to maybe use the sulfate shampoo every other wash?
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    24/31/37
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I wonder if it might not be a form of seborrheic dermatitis caused by irritation from the shampoo? Is it possible to maybe use the sulfate shampoo every other wash?
    Yes, you could do that. There are a lot people who do this. But I'd just try to clarify first, it may solve the problem.