Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is my hair so frizzy?

Length
    APL/APL/CL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Why is my hair so frizzy?

My hair usually isn't too frizzy a couple days after washing my hair, but whenever I wash my hair, it dries frizzy. Also, even when my hair isn't very frizzy, it had no weight to it to the degree that it's uncomfortable to wear it down because it won't stay laying on my back but will instead all fly up into an uncontrollable mess.

I know a lot of the common solutions to frizz, co-washing, oil, etc., and I would like advice, but mostly I would like to know the cause of my frizzy hair. I feel like there must be some cause because I have known 4 people with hair around BSL who all just shampoo and condition, and they all have relatively frizz-free hair.

I take much more care; I wash every 4 days, use luke-warm water, only shampoo the scalp and avoid it running down the length, use lots of coconut oil as a leave-in, and my hair is still always frizzy. I have no damage. I don't even know why showers dry out my hair as all that touches my length in the shower is conditioner and luke-warm water. It seems to me that my hair is extremely more difficult than everyone else's.

As example, I just washed my hair this morning, then applied coconut oil until it was greasy, and it was still frizzy. I've tried cones, no cones, and sulphate-free shampoo. I'm at my wit's end; thank you!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Why is my hair so frizzy?

Chances are, you have relatively curly hair compared to the people you know with less frizz. If it is, and you're breaking up those curls, you'll get frizz.

Pictures would help confirm if this is the case, if you wish to post them.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    2a/F/i

how do you detangle? You might have curly hair that you're brushing out, causing frizz.

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Length
    pixie/apl+/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I agree, we need to see your hair so we can get an idea of how much wave and/or curl you're working with. What is your routine *after* you are done washing your hair? Do you comb or brush it while wet or dry it with a terrycloth towel? All of these mechanical things can contribute to frizz. Have you tried a hard-hold alcohol-free gel? What's the climate like where you live? Is it humid, dry, etc? I would familiarize yourself with dew points and humectants, and check your products for ingredients like aloe and glycerine, which may be doing more harm than good. I also highly recommend user Lapushka's WCC and LOC methods.
    Pixie ---> Chin ---> Shoulder --->CBL ---> APL --->BSL --->Waist

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Yes, if you don't mind posting pictures, it will help us with advice giving!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

has notorious buns Wildcat Diva's Avatar
    some kind of hunting lodge for rich weirdos
    Length
    16/35/real
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Plus, we just love to see beautiful hair photos anyway (even when we are not helping).

Length
    BSL/Waist/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Yes, pictures would help.

My hair gets much curlier and frizzier from humidity. That means right after showers and washing, or from rain or humidity in the air. It's much flatter and smoother days after the washing or during dry, un-humid weather. Just a thought.

Sounds like you have wavy or curly hair. Also, there's no point in comparing your hair to those others you mentioned. Their hair is likely a different hair type than yours.
    Last edited by allycat; July 10th, 2014 at 04:56 PM.

Length
    APL/APL/CL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

This is a picture of my hair right after drying with some coconut oil that I put in while wet. I also combed while wet.
    [IMG] host image[/IMG]

And this is after combing.
    [IMG] screen grab[/IMG]

Type
    2a/F/i

You definitely have curly hair! Maybe google the curly girl method and try that out. Co washing, detangling in the shower while covered in conditioner, rinse and don't touch it.

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Length
    6.5"/12"/50+"
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

You said that you use only lukewarm water--perhaps after you wash you could try doing colder water to smooth down the cuticle, if that would work for you.