Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kvetha Fricaya (Greetings, friends!)

Length
    26/Calf/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Default Kvetha Fricaya (Greetings, friends!)

Hello! I'm Entangled, as in hopelessly entangled. (That was too long, as you might imagine)
    So, lets see, about me: I'm a long-time devoted watcher in the water (in other words, lurker) with ashy blonette BSL hair. I've been contemplating joining for quite a while, but recently found my courage enough to join. As I've never joined a forum before, I'm a bit nervous, though excited, to finally be here.

My hair history: I've been going back and fourth between shoulder length and APL since childhood, when I lost four inches every summer to the annual sun, mechanical and chlorine damage chop. The longest my hair has ever been is BSL, but the last time it was this long it was very damaged from ball-tipped brush yanking, sometimes when wet (I didn't listen to my mom's comb/detangled suggestion mostly out of laziness), and the recent introduction of the blow dryer and straightener. As I tried to wrestle my hair into something like the girls at school had instead of my weird, half wavyish mess and fly-away-ness, I heavily damaged my hair. Forget the heat protectant: I didn't even know such a (misleading) product could even exist! If I'd known, I probably would have tried it. Anyhow, after many tears and growls of frustration, I finally decided to do what I had always hoped to do. I donated ten inches of my hair to Locks of Love. (Yes, I did research them a bit and knew that some hair gets sold, not all the wigs are free, and the go to children with alopecia, not cancer.) Now I know that my hair was probably thrown away due to its ratty condition, but I don't regret it, as it gave me the fresh start I needed to start growing anew, and grow the tailbone length hair I'd dreamed of since I was a small child. That decision did not come lightly, as the two years it would take to grow that ten inches back scared me, but after getting a cute chin length bob, I took a deep breath and decided to stop hating my hair. I enjoyed short hair for a quite a while. Now, after finding it possible, I'm aimng for classic length.

In the time it's taken to grow it back, I've learned a LOT! Now I own a bbb, tangle teezer, and can't even imagine brushing my hair the way I used to. Hairsticks are AMAZING, and I finally found the type of hairstyles I've been looking for: non-'messy' neat hairstyles that are simple but unusual. I eschew heat straighteners and curlers (except for on my bangs, but I don't plan on growing them out any time soon,) and am just discovering the possibilities braids hold. Finding out about protective updos has been amazing, for though I love the appearance of long hair, I dislike the sensation of hair. Since going bald/buzzing my hair is not a option, long hair triumphs!

Other things about me: I'm from the southern United States, home of bleach, teasing, curlers, big hair, and some pretty amazing renaissance festivals. Long hair is fairly common (as in shoulder length to waist), there's a fairly large Dr. Who following (but I don't watch it, unfortunately, though my friends have exposed me to the basics and I've watched a few episodes,) and there are many to both prove and disprove stereotypes. If you haven't realized, I'm throwing a lot out there in the (shameless) hope that someone will notice me. Pathetic, I know, but a girl's gotta try. I love Tolkien and LOTR, Eragon, next generation Star Trek, Shannon Hale, the Avengers live action movie, Tangled, Frozen, Mulan, books in general, East, fairy tales, history, Leroux's Phantom of the Opera, Madeleine L'engle, mountains, clouds, charcoal drawing, and science. Whew! That covers most of it. Oh, I almost forgot: I like words and the English language.

That brings me to a question: is conversational English or writing English preferred? (Conversational meaning as you would speak it, with fragments and exclamations, or book writing, where fragmented sentences and their ilk are to be avoided.) I know there are English as a second language folks here, and I was wondering if that matters. I already know to avoid text speak and uncapitalized letters, etc...

One more very important thing: I'm an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It's an amazing part of my life.

i can't wait to finally have a voice here and meet the members of this community!

Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Kvetha Fricaya (Greetings, friends!)

Welcome, Entangled! It's nice to come out of the Waters of Lurk and take part, yes? Here's wishing you many happy years of sharing hair obsession with like minds.

And yeah, "Heat protectant? What's that??"
    If my hair grows long enough, will I turn into a mermaid?

Length
    BSL/CL/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

On the form of English:
    Write as you speak, not text.
    Contractions are fine, some slang, although you might be asked to clarify.

We tend to split infinitives grousing about split ends.

Remember lots of our members are English as a second or more language. And often they have better syntax!

Welcome.
    I've done southern and Texas ren faires. Worked for chain maile, pewter and clothing (sort of) vendors. And I'd often set up an oil and incense vendor, but not necessarily work it.
    My week work was all over the map.
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.

Length
    26/Calf/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Yes, Nimia, it is! It's fantastic to be able to interact rather than think of what I would say and wait for someone else to say it.

Thanks,Truepeacenik. I suppose what I am asking is: can I write as is I am having a conversation, where grammatical rules are often overlooked (as in saying "you know?" or starting sentences with but) or if I should write in book grammar, where sentences should be complete.
    Also: wow! I would love to work at a renaissance faire. My only experiences so far have been attending/viewing. Have you been to Scarbourough Faire? There are so many skills present in the vendor's stalls. I want to learn all of them! (Which, sadly, is probably not possible, let alone feasible.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I think it's mostly written and neat English that is preferred here. Neat sentences. Capital letters at the start. That sort of thing. Just the way everyone writes, mostly. Just try and read the forum some more.

In any case, welcome to LHC!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

The land of Vikings, Northen light and Pippi Longstocking.

Welcome out of the lurkers water Entangled! I hope you will like it here.

~Apl ~~ Bsl ~ Wl ~~ Hip ~~ Tbl ~~ Classic ~

Length
    26/Calf/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Thanks, lapushka. I'll keep that in mind, and read around a bit.

Length
    26/Calf/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Hello, skade! I hope I will too. This community seems to be one of the better places on the Internet in terms of friendliness.

Length
    24/31/37
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Welcome to this forum!

Length
    26/Calf/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Thanks, Johanna. I'm excited to meet everyone!