Thread: Rooibos tea hair rinse?

Length
    bob/Bsl/Hip
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Rooibos tea hair rinse?

Or as the main ingredient in a leave in conditioner?

I love it, drink it regularly, and always have it around, so that's why I was thinking to switch from diluted ACV/Lemon juice rinses to Rooibos tea as my final rinse, or to fill my spray bottle as a DIY leave in conditioner (with a dash of avg and oils, of course).

It has a ph level of around 6, so it's slightly acdic...enough to close the cuticle if I were to wash with say, african black soap?

Has anyone filled their spray/mister bottle with primarily red bush tea, and a sprinkling of oils or a dollup of rinse-out conditioner?
    Long hair until Henna disaster April 2014.... Big Chop April 2015 to cut it out. Growing my natural color long! My blog

Length
    APL/Hip+/BCL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Rooibos tea hair rinse?

I used to spray it on my scalp, it helped stretching my washes and kept the itchies to a minimum. I didn't know about the pH, I guess that's why I had good results! I'm too lazy to keep it up though I'm thinking about trying ACV rinses or maybe lemon, didn't think about rooibos! I guess it would be gentler, maybe? Hmm, maybe I could dilute ACV in rooibos tea

ETA: I did try spraying it on my length a couple times,definitely made it easier to detangle and made my hair silky.
    Currently at: 34,5" ~ Forever trimming away thin ends ~ Next Goal: 35" BCL
    Hennahead | SLS & 'Cone Free | Grainiac

Length
    Buzz/Waist/CL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I'm interested in this too. I love diluted lemon rinses but always have rooibos around. I thought about cooled rooibos with a dash lemon added..bet it would smell lovely
    Hie thee to a forkery!
    Currently at waist.

Length
    bob/Bsl/Hip
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Yeah, diluted lemon is just a pain, I make such a mess blending and straining lemons. Making tea is so easy!
    Long hair until Henna disaster April 2014.... Big Chop April 2015 to cut it out. Growing my natural color long! My blog

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

I soaked my hair in rooibos tea a couple of years ago and let it dry.....I ended up with hair like straw. Never again. I've experimented with many herbal tea rinses over the years and rooibos tea was one of the ones that gave the worse results with catnip being the best

Length
    Pixie/Pixie/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I use just straight, strong rooibos tea in a mister bottle. (Kept in refrigerator when not in use.) I use it in between washes and it makes my hair very soft and brings out my natural waves.
    The Wild Beast From The Land of Hair That Cannot Be Tamed
    Pixie - Chin- Shoulder - APL - BSL - Waist - TBL

Length
    30"/51.5"/53"
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Rooibos Tea Extract is also thought to be good for hair growth. There were some threads here about it. According to a french study it might be helpful for fighting hair loss and encouraging regrowth.
    Last edited by Teufelchen; July 24th, 2014 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Can't Spell Rooibos
    Physics is the ability to express the world in differential equations. (anonymous)
    Golden cut ( the longer one) and still growing.

Length
    22/28/40
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

I use it in my henna mixtures and that seems to work out well, but I have always been afraid that it would dry out my hair too much. Perhaps I should give it a try (note to self: get more spray bottles).

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I did this for some months, when I started approaching natural hair care. Made my hair super soft, soothed my scalp and enhanced the henna highlights .
    I stopped because it stained my towels, and ACV was quicker to prepare.
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I've used rooibos in a mister bottle with some essential oils before. I remember it made my hair feel very smooth and soft but I think I may have had some build up from it. Nothing too awful and certainly nothing that didn't come out easily in the wash. I'd mainly spray my scalp with it for growth benefits and would comb it through. It was great to do then put my hair in a sleek bun, it made the hair stay in place well.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.