Thread: DIY Leave in Conditioner

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/iii

Default DIY Leave in Conditioner

I figured this is the place to go for hair I just got internet back and I'm completely excited about my new choice to make my own conditioners and shampoos Right now I want to start with a leave in conditioner and I'm at a loss of what to do. I've found so many great ideas for rinse outs, but I want something I can put in a jar and keep, eggs and mayo can only keep for so long lol. Also, I found a few ingredients, like Coconut Water, Jojoba Oil, Honey and Glycerin(To help weigh my hair down) but I couldn't really find anything solid on what they specifically do. Any help/hints/ideas completely welcome

Length
    bald/pixie/waist
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Default Re: DIY Leave in Conditioner

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire View Post
    I figured this is the place to go for hair I just got internet back and I'm completely excited about my new choice to make my own conditioners and shampoos Right now I want to start with a leave in conditioner and I'm at a loss of what to do. I've found so many great ideas for rinse outs, but I want something I can put in a jar and keep, eggs and mayo can only keep for so long lol. Also, I found a few ingredients, like Coconut Water, Jojoba Oil, Honey and Glycerin(To help weigh my hair down) but I couldn't really find anything solid on what they specifically do. Any help/hints/ideas completely welcome
    I use Apricot Kernel Oil is help seal in moisture. Many prefer Coconut Oil, but it doesn't absorb as well for me. Jojoba and Sweet Almond are also popular -- I haven't tried them.

What I do is put a drop or two in my hands, spread it around, and then gently finger through the last 3 or so inches of my hair. Then, I put one drop on the end of my finger, run the tines of my comb through it, and comb the last foot or so of my hair.

It disappears pretty fast for me. The trick is to not use too much. My ends feel much better.

Honey and glycerin are humectants -- they attract water, both to and out of your hair. There is a particular way to use them to make sure it's pulling to your hair, not out of it, but I am not terribly enlightened about it.

There are also heavier leave-ins you can make, but I've always been a little too scared to try them!

Length
    MBL/to/HIP
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

My leave in conditioner: while still in the shower after shampooing and rinsing out my rinse out conditioner I squeeze the excess water out of my ends only, take a pencil eraser size amount of my rinse out conditioner and work it through the length. Put my hair up in a tee shirt while I dry off and finish with my personal care stuff. Take it out of the tee shirt and, while it's still damp, add a little argan oil then bun it while still damp. I shower before bed so it's damp bunned over night. Next morning I let it down to finish air drying while I enjoy my morning coffee.

This alone has saved my hair from the frizzies this summer. My hair has never felt better. I'm hoping this routine will work this well in the winter so I can be cone free 365 days a year

Life's short...Buy the hair toy...

Type
    3b/3c/M/C/iii

So after realizing how starting up making my own conditioner will be, I decided on a random tangent, to mix everything I use together in a cup. Now some of the things I liked one thing or another, i've never been fully happy with a leave in product, so I said hey, why not? For my bath I had already done a Olive Oil replenishing pack (Smells like oranges) and then I took about two scoops from the cup of mixture, and slathered my hair in it and put it up in a shower cap for about 15mins. I use a wide tooth comb to brush when wet, because my hair does NOT do dry brushing. Normally I would pull and yank and wince, but after using this hodgepodge of hair product, my comb slid right through And then I rinsed it out in cold water after my bath and my natural hair started shining through! I normally have tight curls but I've been chemically straightening it twice a year for 2 years, but last night I had loose waves! What sucks though, my hair is to my waist, but the hair at the top of the back of my head (The problem child of my head) is EXTREMELY shorter then the rest of the hair at the top of my head. I fear I might need to cut it back down to my shoulders at least