Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super easy updos for those who know nothing about long hair? Where to start?

Default Super easy updos for those who know nothing about long hair? Where to start?

I finally have long hair for the first time in my life. I grew up a tomboy. I use scrunchies and jaw clips and that’s it really. I can’t stand the hassle of bobby pins and all these hair tools are like a foreign language to me right now 🤣. I’ll get there but I need the updo for dummies tutorial please!!! I generally just wrap my hair around itself into something resembling a bun and secure it with a scrunchie OR I twist my hair and secure with one large or two small jaw clips. That’s it. I can French braid so there’s a saving grace here 🤣. I have fine thin (but lots of it) hair.... could someone help me with some basics? I Google some of what I read on here but out come bobby pins and I’m out. Please reply with links if this is already a clearly visible thread elsewhere. Otherwise thank you so much- I’m a lost little long haired birdie right about now 🤣

Length
    ?/71/Term
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Default Re: Super easy updos for those who know nothing about long hair? Where to start?

There are several threads that may help you.

First, the LHC Hairstyle Thesaurus. The 2nd post has an explanation of the tools used. It is an invaluable resource for finding new hairstyles. Some hairstyles you might want to start with are the disc bun, the nautilus bun, the lazy wrap bun, or the cinnamon bun depending on your length and thickness.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=145554

Second, the Glossary. It defines the commonly used abbreviations on the forum.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54874

ETA: Since you can already french braid a tucked french braid might be a good style to try.
    Last edited by HaMalka; October 15th, 2020 at 02:01 PM.
    Princess Cerise of the Blushing Hues in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Super easy updos for those who know nothing about long hair? Where to start?

Before I was able to use sticks or forks I discovered spin pins (or scroos). They hold buns very securly with only minimal effort. One easy bun is the cinnamon bun. What you described sounds a bit like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_ewuTEDJjY

This is just one of many youtube videos

Thank you so much for suggesting the easier styles to start with. I *think* that’s what’s hard to find in the stickies but could be wrong. Much appreciated- I have some direction to dig into now. Thank you!

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

I’m the same way Loungelady except I can’t really french braid. The buns mentioned above are super easy. My BSL hair isn’t long enough for nautilus bun yet but the other ones I can do. The youtube videos are lifesavers!

Length
    27.5"/41"/41"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

The thesaurus is a great reference, but for my learning style, I need to watch a video and then play it back while performing the movement (years of dance training lol) so written instruction don’t help me much. But everyone is different as far as learning style! I just type in the name of the bun on YouTube and try to pick the person who has a hair type similar to mine.

I know you said you don’t have any hair sticks but you can use chopsticks or a pencil to see if you like it. Or craft dowels are cheap at dollar stores. Claw clips also work well and are comfortable for most people and available everywhere.
    I woke up like this (brushing the top of my calves somehow??)

Length
    16/38/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

With this video I was finally able to do a LWB with a hair stick. She makes it very easy and it's now my go-to hairstyle everyday. Before this, I had never used a hair stick or fork and my only bun was a cinnabun with a claw clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lie...st=LL&index=12
    Last edited by sipnsun; October 16th, 2020 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Repair link
    CBL/APL/BSL​/MBL/Waist/Hip/TBL

Length
    BSL/Waist/BSL
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I would second the hair scroos and also double pointed knitting needles that you can bend into a u shaped pin if you want to make buns

Quote Originally Posted by sipnsun View Post
    With this video I was finally able to do a LWB with a hair stick. She makes it very easy and it's now my go-to hairstyle everyday. Before this, I had never used a hair stick or fork and my only bun was a cinnabun with a claw clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lie...st=LL&index=12
    OOOH! I just did this! I feel instantly girly haha! Oh no, this means I'm going to have to buy some hair sticks now, doesn't it?! Thank you. I just needed to start somewhere and everything I was finding was way too complicated! I just need some simple easy options and I'll figure out complicated once I master easy.

Length
    16/38/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LoungeLady View Post
    OOOH! I just did this! I feel instantly girly haha! Oh no, this means I'm going to have to buy some hair sticks now, doesn't it?! Thank you. I just needed to start somewhere and everything I was finding was way too complicated! I just need some simple easy options and I'll figure out complicated once I master easy.
    You are very welcome! I was excited when I came across her videos, there are a few good ones! You have opened a huge can of worms, hair toys are addictive lol!
    CBL/APL/BSL​/MBL/Waist/Hip/TBL