Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toning down the orange from henna

Length
    pixie/Clsc/?
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Default Re: Toning down the orange from henna

My friend uses a brunette color glaze that washes out. I wonder if something like that would help. It probably won't color the roots completely, but it might tone them down enough. I think she uses John Frieda. I have fire roots myself, so I can understand your concern.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Honestly? Any photographer worth his salt is taking digital pics, and doing some base retouching. If it's THAT off in the photos, well, that's what the Color Replacement Tool in Photoshop is for.

I'm not an advocate of you messing with your hair before such a big event. It's begging for trouble

Length
    17/28/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Thanks for all the advice girls! I really appreciate it!

The buxus/henna mixes I tested on my patiently collected bunches of shedded hair strands looks promising, but I have decided that I am not going to mess with my color that way before the wedding. Knowing my track record with dying my hair...it WOULD be begging for trouble as Nightshade so accurately put it.

I bought an ammonia and peroxide free nonpermanent color that I am going to strand test. Hopefully it will help tone down the orange. I know my hairdresser dyed over the henna before with some success, so I feel this is my safest bet.

Just curious...has anyone tried buxus only on their hair to tone down the orange or a buxus conditioner mix? I read through the buxus thread but don't remember if using only buxus was mentioned. Most likely I missed it!
    Amsel Joey
    The doggie love of my life

Length
    14/16/hip
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I have to say that I agree with Nightshade here...please be careful.
    I love henna!

Length
    SL/>SL/BSL
    Type
    3a/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Aisha25 View Post
    I did not know you can color with just the little color one. Does it do any damages to hair? Did you do the color first or henna?
    I've been hennaing for over a yr.; the 1st couple of times I did my whole head, but since then I've only touched up my roots because I don't want the length any redder.

I wanted the length to be a more brownish red to match the top 6 or so inches of my hair, which is henna only; the length had been chemically dyed a light red before henna.

I used the chemical toner/conditioner mix separately from my hennaings, and below my ears only. I don't intend to do it regularly. Maybe I will again if it fades too much, but I'm trimming away that hair anyway, and will someday be hennaed only.

I found using the toner to be maybe very slightly damaging, but *much* less so than using dye, even no-ammonia dye, with a developer.

It worked better and has faded less than when I tried to do the same thing with Loving Care (a 4-10 washes semi-permanent), but the colorant does have PPD and resorcinol in it, whereas those other type of dyes only have coal-tar dyes. But what I used didn't contain peroxide or ammonia, and it didn't go anywhere near my scalp.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

AmselJoey, I did lots of strand tests with katam (buxus) and use it now with henna for my grays. I think that you totally could do a katam only application over your henna. How long has it been since you hennaed?

If you've got some, I'd say do some test strands but it should work pretty well!

Length
    17/28/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Thanks Mellie!

I have been pouring over the buxus/katam thread and your experiments, but was not sure how to best proceed, so I am very happy to hear your advice! I did some interesting strand tests with buxus/henna and buxus/henna/cassia on my hair, but am not daring enough to mess with more henna on my hair before the wedding. To answer your question, I have only hennaed once and that was towards the end of June.

I have enough hair strands leftover for a buxus only test and will be trying that tonight. Hopefully it will be a success and I can do a full-on buxus treatment to my hair tomorrow, which is the last day I have free time before the wedding...EEK!

Wish me luck and thanks everyone for all the input. It is MUCH appreciated! I can be a complete idiot when it comes to dying my hair.

P.S. I definitely will post the results of strand tests with buxus/henna and buxus/cassia/henna in the buxus threat when I get some free time...just in case they're helpful to anyone!
    Last edited by AmselJoey; September 18th, 2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Needed to add a P.S.
    Amsel Joey

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I'm pretty confident that it will work for ya!! Keep us posted! :-)

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    neck/frtp+/??
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Velouria View Post
    I've been hennaing for over a yr.; the 1st couple of times I did my whole head, but since then I've only touched up my roots because I don't want the length any redder.

I wanted the length to be a more brownish red to match the top 6 or so inches of my hair, which is henna only; the length had been chemically dyed a light red before henna.

I used the chemical toner/conditioner mix separately from my hennaings, and below my ears only. I don't intend to do it regularly. Maybe I will again if it fades too much, but I'm trimming away that hair anyway, and will someday be hennaed only.

I found using the toner to be maybe very slightly damaging, but *much* less so than using dye, even no-ammonia dye, with a developer.

It worked better and has faded less than when I tried to do the same thing with Loving Care (a 4-10 washes semi-permanent), but the colorant does have PPD and resorcinol in it, whereas those other type of dyes only have coal-tar dyes. But what I used didn't contain peroxide or ammonia, and it didn't go anywhere near my scalp.
    Thank you

Length
    17/28/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Thumbs up Re: Toning down the orange from henna

Hello ladies!

Just wanted to give an update on the status of my hair color. I used buxus mixed with tepid tap water, applied it to my hair immediately, and let it cook under saran wrap and a shower cap for about an hour and 15-20 minutes. It was successful in cutting the orange and darkening my hair!!! The color initially was a shade btw medium and dark brown, but has been lightening up and is now leaning more towards medium brown. It still has a slight orangish glint to it in the sunlight, but this is not very noticeable at all (especially when compared to how it looked before!). It looked 100 percent better for the wedding than it would have if I left it alone.

So overall a success!

Thanks again to everyone for their opinions and advice.
    Amsel Joey