Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cut mullet or let it all grow?

Length
    12/CL/52
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default Re: Cut mullet or let it all grow?

Quote Originally Posted by snuflan View Post
    You guys are so sweet! Sometimes when I think back to how long my hair was before I cut it all off, my stomach knots up because I was so pretty then, and now in the "in-between" stages I don't think I'm that pretty anymore :/ So I think I really needed an "outsiders perspective" of my hair. Thank you for that!

Ashflower89: Your pixie timelines were great! So inspirational and thorough
    Hair does not make you ugly or pretty. Ever.

I would not cut at this point. Let it get a little longer and then maybe microtrim to get a blunt hemline if that is your goal.

Hair in Sunlight

Kindness consists of loving people more than they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    That said, the curls probably are helping. Keep wearing it curly! The more you can get away with not cutting it, the quicker the awkward stage will be over.
    Best advice!

I say let it grow out. That's what I'm doing, and I DON'T regret it. I kept it curly in the mullet stage, I used headbands, etc. Now it looks so much longer than it actually is, I can do a ponytail to keep it out of my face about 6 months sooner than I could have if I'd cut it, and when I do half-ups, my hair looks LONG!

Photos are all on here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/noludoru or in my threads if you want to search. Your hair is adorable where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashflower89 View Post
    I'd let it grow a bit longer, but if the mullet starts to really bug you or get crazy long, nothing wrong with cutting it. Graduating to a bob feels great after the messy layers of a pixie. You dont really lose any "length" by cutting the mullet, it doesnt look like true length when the front half of your hair is several inches shorter.
    I disagree. You lose out hugely on the ability to put your hair in a ponytail sooner and keep it out of your face. You lose the look of length when putting it half up, and a year or two years from now you lost the 4-ish inches of growth in those layers.
    Last edited by noludoru; May 14th, 2014 at 11:22 PM.

Length
    APL/HIP/TERM
    Type
    3a/3b/M/iii

I'm with Kherome. I'd just micro-trim to an even length, if that's what you want. I say, it looks cute though and doesn't look like a mullet yet.

SL/WL/HIP/BCL/TBL/CL+
    My journey from chemical damage to virgin hair.
    No trim 2014/Benign Neglect/Vegan Care.

Length
    SHLDR/MIDBK/TAILB
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I strongly advise not cutting it. I had an orchid bob when I first joined LHC. Second picture down. I don't know what I was thinking with my long face (with an under-bite on top of it) other than that I was trying to make it all one length to eliminate growing out layers right at the beginning.

http://www.retrochick.co.uk/2013/02/...-of-the-bob-2/

As my starting length I chopped it all one length just above chin to look like that picture. I was growing out blunt eye brow length bangs. It was a nightmare. I am fighting layers again because I eventually tried to blend the bangs into my hair to avoid this from happening:

http://tommybeautypro.files.wordpres...di-2.jpg?w=490

Imagine the blunt bang being the length of the cheek length layer. That length and the length in the back totally out of whack. Yet little did I realize being so naive at that time that the hair would have slowly fairy-tailed and feathered since it does not all grow at the same rate. It wouldn't always stay blunt. If I had let it grow I'd have 3 years worth of growth. Approximately 18 inches. Dummy me could be past waist right now. I'm sitting 5 inches above waist hoping to heck that I can get there before the end of the year. If I'd stated off my journey with more knowledge I would have had the patience with that knowledge to bun/pony the length I grew and pin back the sides and bangs that were growing out until they could reach the bun/pony. All it takes is being able to disguise the lack of length and create the illusion. Curl the ends of the length under to make it look shorter, like a bob. If you watch the earlier episodes of The X-Files and look at Dana Scully's bob you will see what I mean. Her length is purposefully longer than the sides so that she can pony tail her hair with face framing layers while still creating the somewhat rounded bob look. Like this:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...pEPvUiyQEbAa7Q

If you simply let your hair grow it will begin to do the same thing. You just have to be willing to work with it. Styling awkward hair can be a lot more rewarding than maintaining shorter hair. Again... I really wish I had done that. My journey has been a long one discovering new things. Sadly, I'm just not able to enjoy the length right now to apply all this knowledge.

Ultimately it's up to you, but my advice is to not do any more than dusting to maintain healthy ends. Hope this helped.

P.S. With those curls, you're going to have a killer mane. I look forward to watching your journey unfold. ^.^
    Last edited by AcornMystic; May 14th, 2014 at 08:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Banned
    Length
    1''/APL/?

I'd just keep growing. Curly is harder to tell anyway that the back is that much longer.

Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by snuflan View Post
    Ashflower89: Your pixie timelines were great! So inspirational and thorough
    Thanks =D I was so desperate and miserable every time I decided to grow it out, and spent all day looking for before/after pictures to remind me that it wouldnt last forever. Taking monthly pictures helps sooo much... just to see that little bit of growth and look back over the months helps when it feels like its not moving at all. So I made a public blog to help out anyone else who needs motivation like I did lol

Length
    shave/34.5/?
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

You Know, I been in rural South Georgia all my life and I can tell you that no-one would see that as a mullet. A mullet has a much more distinct line between long-ish to long hair and a short top up high. You have a much smoother transition than that.

What you have going on is very cute and you can style it out nicely. Heck being an old punk I would grung it some and give it a bead-head look.

Every time I see this thread title I read "cat mullet" and for a split second I'm like wat?

But I agree with everyone else, keep letting it grow! Growing is fun lol

Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Wow thank you all, again, for the lovely advice I will make sure to try to grow it, and I'm hoping, since I'm starting an education this fall that I will be busy thinking of other things than my hair lol

Kherome: Yeah, I know. But it made me feel prettier with longer hair, more feminine kind of!

So the conflusion is: Let it grow, try to keep it curly, "grunge it up" and mostly ignore it
    Last cut: An undercut pixie june 2018.
    Goals: Ears - Chin - Shoulder - Collarbone - APL - BSL

Length
    APL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Say no to the mullet!
    1b - F/M - ii ~ APL -> BSL ->MBL -> WL -> HL

Westeros Beauty - The first Game of Thrones beauty blog!