Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terminal length - do you know what yours is?

Length
    shave/34.5/?
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Default Terminal length - do you know what yours is?

Well, I know some of ya'll have reached terminal. I only know one person in real life that has reached terminal and that is my son. His 3c locks (not dreads) were terminal at about mid-thigh - curls stretched out. My great grandma's may have been terminal but I have no idea how long it was standing since she was in a wheelchair at the time I knew her. Hers hung on the floor sitting when my mom would go every week to re-do her bun at the nursing home.

Knee length is the longest mine has been but I was in the 4th grade so much shorter and I have no idea if it was terminal since at that age I did not care and actually wanted it gone since I was forced to have long hair for cultural reasons.

Anyone else reach terminal? I know its highly variable based on genetics.

I've seen the internet site with the woman with hair longer than she is tall. That is amazing. I think I would change my goal if it was still growing past ankle length. Is it that Asian hair usually has longer terminal length?

Are there factors that can efect your terminal length? I know hormones can be a factor in hair growth and shedding. Does terminal length get shorter post-menopause?

Gregorian Enchantress Theobroma's Avatar
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Terminal legth - do you know what yours is?

No, I have no idea what my terminal length is. But for me the question is academic, since I have no plans to grow to terminal. I think I'd find my hair too annoying to manage beyond fingertip or thereabouts!

Length
    26/46.8/50
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I don't know what's terminal length on me. I'm now almost at mid-thigh and my hemline is still very full - even with layers. I think my terminal length is somewhere below knee or calves.

Type
    2b/M/iii

I have no idea what my terminal length is. It is still growing post menopause (just scraping knee).

I think it all boils down to genes and diet and how gentle you are with your hair.

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I don't know, but I'm seeing if I can find out (maybe). All I know is, it wasn't TBL despite the fact I spent years there. Protective updos make one heck of a lot of difference. For me, it's the difference between my old TBL "terminal" and my current scraping-knee-and-still-going-strong.

I think terminal depends on genetics (both anagen length and also the density of hair follicles and the thickness of each hair -- denser, thicker hair takes a lot more fairytaling to get down to nothing). That said, health (including diet) and haircare (e.g. protective updos) will have a massive effect on whether your genetic potential can be realised.

Mother of Crocodiles YvetteVarie's Avatar
    Length
    TWA/TWA/max
    Type
    4a/4b/M/C/ii/iii

I do not know, but I am definitely planning to find out what my terminal is (no chemical straighteners, limited heat use, protective styles etc.)

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

I don't know, but reached BCL with very little taper, so I'd guess at least mid-thigh. Interestingly, I've seen a picture of my dad on wash day before he cut his hair (he was raised Sikh), and his hair wasn't more than classic and maybe a little shorter than that. But I don't think they took particularly special care of their hair, other than not cutting it, so there might have been some breakage at the ends.

Length
    Chin/BCL/CLSC
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I don't know what my terminal length is either...I've been to just shy of TBL in the past while doing absolutely nothing to care for my hair. I've had several major sheds over the past few years that I'm just starting to recover from, so I can't go by the state of my ends. My mom had calf-length hair though, so I'm hopeful I inherited her hair-genes!

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

I have layered hair so it is harder to notice natural tapering. I am mid-thigh at the moment and am starting to get noticeable fairy tale ends.
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    TBL/~SL/~WL?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I don't know exactly but I would like to find out, it might be an interesting experiment if I have the patience. I think if it's anything like family my terminal length will possible be classic length, but I think don't my lady family member take that good care of their hair so maybe a little longer.