Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The average time for trimming when growing hair out?

Length
    CL/29.5/30
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Default The average time for trimming when growing hair out?

Small question, was wondering anyone's thoughts on the average time when trimming hair besides the 6-8 weeks? My hairstylist knows that I'm wanting to grow my hair out, and she said to come back in about 3-4 months for a trim. I guess that's a good time to help with split ends? I guess it also depends on hair type if you could go longer. Anyway, was wondering what you guys think/thoughts? I know there's some people that don't trim/cut hair at all. lol Wish I could do that, but my hair would look unruly. lol Thanks in advance...

Length
    &&/APL/Tail
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: The average time for trimming when growing hair out?

Like my hair stylist says; if you want your hair to get long, don't get it cut!

When I'm growing it out (like now, again - sigh...) I get it cut maybe once a year or so. And then only maybe one inch, just to snip off some brittle ends etc.
    When growing out a pixie cut (which I have also done) I might get it cut a bit more often in the beginning to get rid of the mullet (but only the mullet), maybe once every 4 or 5 months.

After 7,5 years of silvering dreadlocks, back to loose, fine, straightish hair.
    Fresh Hennahead and loving the red!

Length
    30.5/?/term
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

Whenever you get super unhappy with the ends...for me that's a few years between trims, for others it's probably less. In general, wait as long as you can stand to and then get as little taken off as you can.
    Now: widest part of my calf

Favorite hairstyles: Elling Woman bun Amish braids

Length
    CL/29.5/30
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Hedera View Post

When I'm growing it out (like now, again - sigh...) I get it cut maybe once a year or so. And then only maybe one inch, just to snip off some brittle ends etc.
    When growing out a pixie cut (which I have also done) I might get it cut a bit more often in the beginning to get rid of the mullet (but only the mullet), maybe once every 4 or 5 months.
    thanks. besides this last cut I had Sat. I went 8 months with out a cut. Was lucky that the splits weren't that bad. But, a trim was definitely needed. I've got a good 5 inches before my hair reaches WL

Length
    CL/29.5/30
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Hedera View Post

thanks. besides this last cut I had Sat. I went 8 months with out a cut. Was lucky that the splits weren't that bad. But, a trim was definitely needed. I've got a good 5 inches before my hair reaches WL

Length
    CL/29.5/30
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Sorry, didn't mean for the last post to get added twice. That's exactly how I felt as far as my ends go. I thought it was definitely time for a trim. I kept my same layers, but had a bit trimmed off. Overall I had 1/4 cut. Not too bad. Just enough to get me by, and to clean up my ends a bit. I'll probably wait until after summer is over with, if I decide to get my hair trimmed again.

Mother of Crocodiles YvetteVarie's Avatar
    Length
    TWA/TWA/max
    Type
    4a/4b/M/C/ii/iii

I had my first trim 1 and a half years after starting to grow my hair out. And I didn't trim off much, maybe about an inch maximum. I had gotten a little scissors happy this year, but I am now on a no trim challenge for about 6 months, and then I will assess the state of my hair. But if you stay away from the heat, and avoid bleaching, 3-4 months is an OK time to go between trims, and your hair wouldn't have too many splits.

Length
    shldr/apl/waist
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I agree with what other's have said, if the ends look fine then there is really no need to trim. When I grew out my hair last time (growing once again...) I did it every 5 months approximately. At first I would do it every month or so but it took forever to see any growth that way so I would recommend waiting as long as you can but before any damage or splits can seize the length of your hair.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Also agree. There is no need to trim - ever. Except when there's damage to the hair, and you can always get that out by doing S&D sessions, where you cut the individual splits or white dots out of your hair. Every 3 to 4 months isn't that bad, if you could only control how much the hairdresser *really* cuts off (because it can be hard to keep tabs on).

Most people self-trim around here. Try looking into Feye's self-trimming method!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

It's different for everybody. I personally can't go longer than 6 - 8 months without a trim. Even with S&D, the ends just get... old and a bit ratty, and it's more than S&D can take care of on its own. So I have my hair trimmed two (or three, if it's been a particularly brutal winter or I've been rough with my hair) times a year.