Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any other iii people have issues wearing buns?

Length
    13-15/29/32-40
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Default Re: Any other iii people have issues wearing buns?

Heck yes. My hair's almost four inches around. Couldn't do buns before a long mid-back because my hair was too thick, and now I can't do buns at hip-length because it's too heavy.

Braids are my best friends.
    Length: Hip-length waves (May 2014) || Optional: TBL - Classic

Lady Ursa, Daughter of the Sea, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    buzz/CL/CL+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

It might get easier as you gain more length. I couldn't do ANY bun at APL. Buns became possible when I reached MBL+ and all I could do was a cinnabun (that looked more like a sock bun, really). I pretty much lived in braids then and my hair grew just fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL+
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

My circumference is around 4 inches, and with fine hair, there is a lot of hair to deal with. I decided to start growing my hair at BSL-ish length and starting experimenting with wearing my hair up around MBL, so never had too much of an issue with having the length to wear buns, though you may need to wait a bit before it's comfortable.

I've had the best luck with braided buns. Nothing wrong with just sticking to a braid, though.

Really has taken a lot of practice to figure out just how loose/tight each specific bun has to be for each specific hair toy in order for it to be comfortable, though. Getting some sturdy hair pins is also very helpful to provide the necessary support for the hair.

When I was at a shorter length with not as much fairytaling, I could manage to do some basic buns by sectioning off some hair, for instance leaving two sections off on the sides, and taking the center section, bunning that and then braiding the other sections and wrapping them around the bun. Still do that on occasion, the braids framing the bun are quite nice.
    Last edited by Aderyn; April 19th, 2014 at 08:56 PM.

Length
    Nape/hip/tb
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I have the same problem as I am apl, curly and iii thickness...however the disc bun seems to be the only bun I CAN wear...even then tends to loosen sometimes. Its a balance between too tight and too loose. I'm hoping more length will help me be able to pull off more stable buns :-)

Length
    12/CL/52
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

You need a Jeter fork. They can hold a super loose bun comfortably all day.

Hair in Sunlight

Kindness consists of loving people more than they deserve.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Yes, I find buns heavy, but scalps tend to adjust. If you've tried bunning for a few months and you still get headaches, you should probably switch to other styles.
    Braids are very easy to wear for those with tender scalps, they are perfect for growing out long hair, plus you get to show off your length and thickness. Just be mindful about your hair ties (I love silk ribbons and parandas for that) and don't forget to oil your braid tassel from time to time if you have dry ends.

Length
    cbl/hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I stopped wearing buns for a while and switched to braids because after a certain length they huuuuurt. Now I'm APL(post chop) but I guess my scalp hasn't adjusted to bun weight yet or maybe it never did. Idk, I'm gonna bench them for a while though (except for oilings), the headaches are no fun.
    Growing to knee! At HIP currently

Length
    ear/CB/WL:31
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Yeah, when my hair is long enough for buns I almost never wear them. I can't comfortably wear a bun longer than a few hours, due to the weight of my hair. Even high ponytails at BSL+ will hurt my scalp. I prefer wearing my hair down anyway though, so it's not usually a big problem for me. If I'm wearing my hair up (not braided) then it's probably a temporary style anyway.
    ***2a/b, 4.75"**Arctic Fox => pink***
    ~chin~shoulder~collarbone~armpit~brastrap~waist~

Length
    35/47/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I wear buns fairly regularly anymore, but this is a recent development. I found out a month and a half ago that I had just enough length to wear a pencil bun comfortably - my hair is right at my hips. I can barely do a cinnabun (and when I do, it needs enough pins to hold it together that I feel like I have a metal know instead of a bun, and the extra weight and pressure hurts after a while). I don't really have problems with buns causing headaches unless they are much too tight. Buns that I can wear all day in comfort, though, are limited to center-hold type with a hairstick until I grow at least to TBL.

Length
    17/47/--
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I think I'm just practiced at getting the balance. I could do a cinnabuns at mid-back and held it up with thick pencils most of the time. However, when I got past waist and towards hip, there was no way it would work but I could do a nautilus around hip and that helped. Nowadays, I'm actually going the other way and things are getting uncomfortable as I inch towards tailbone, but I think it's a sign my large ficcares are getting too small, because I don't get the same issue with forks.
    Lady Tigereye, Keeper of the Striped Shadows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights