Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What prompted your last "big chop"?

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Default Re: What prompted your last "big chop"?

Pre-LHC

The only way I knew to take care of my BCL-length hair was to keep it layered, use tons of this expensive conditioner paired with tons of an expensive coney serum. At the time I was dead broke, stressed, and growing irritated with the comments I would always get if I tried to cut back on any of the above 3 items to save money. In the end, I just cut it off in my bathroom and I've never regretted the decision.

I, for one, think long hair is a luxury...at least with my hair type. It takes a lot of committed work and access to the appropriate products for MY hair...and at the time I just didn't have room in my life for those luxuries.

3.5 years later, I'm nearly back where I started, but in a much better place health-wise and financially. Also, I've discovered some neat money saving tips along the way. So this go round, I'm much more comfortable keeping my length and trying to grow longer.
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

Length
    30/32WL/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

My last big chop was about three years ago when I went from MBL, almost Waist, to APL.
    The reason was that I had decided to grow my hair but I was not satisfied with my hemline. I didn't have any serious damage but my ends were very fairytale and thin. I have thin hair after all.
    Also, it was the period when I decided to stop dying and be all natural at some point, so I was also getting rid of 3-4in of dye.
    I had also people telling the usual get-a-haircut thing, look at your ends and how they look etc, although they were very soft, without split ends etc.

What I realized with this chop was that my hair grow this way and I cannot do anything about it. I am reaching WL now and it is the same. i have accepted that and I will go on growing.

Type
    3a/M/ii

I decided to chop my hair at neck length because this is what my hair looked like for all my adult life:

Whenever I went to the hairdresser, they´d cut it in layers and with bangs. That seemed to be the most common style to do with my hair...

As a result, the hair would fairytale like in the pictures and it wouldn´t grow past that length, ever!

So I decided to try for the first time to have the hair in one length, and see if I could make it long! I´ve been stuck at shoulder length for a year now because I kept on trimming in order to even out the bangs and layers.
    Last edited by Jennah; April 20th, 2014 at 01:36 PM.

Mediocre Clarinet Player ExpectoPatronum's Avatar
    Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

Damage, damage, and more damage! I'd trim the split ends and within two weeks, they'd be right back. It was all from constantly dyeing and flat-ironing my hair when I was in my teens. I also had some bad layers. I cut from BSL to around APL and my hair was instantly better. It actually grew most of the way back in about 5 months so I'm happy about that. Unfortunately, I've started chemical dyeing my hair again lol. However, I have much better hair care practices now than I did in the past. I use gentle products, oil and moisturize my hair, and a flat iron hasn't touched my hair in nearly an entire year! (I flat ironed my hair for graduation from my college, and even more then I only did it once every few months on a special occasion). The only heat that touches my hair now comes from my diffuser, if you count using it on 'low' and 'cool' as being "heat."

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019
    Curly: SHDR.APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Stretched: APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Lady Andromeda, Keeper of Feathered Fauna, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

warm weather enthusiast mrs_coffee's Avatar
    Length
    PIXIE/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

Henna and emotional trauma. I probably could have waited out the henna, but I felt like I needed to shed my hair as it felt, to me, like a lot of the emotional trauma I went through was somehow tied to my hair. I'd been actively growing it while going through the thing, and at the end it was just too much of a reminder. I needed a fresh start, so I chopped it.
    pixie to waist 10/13...chopped to chin 01/14...reached waist 09/17...chopped to APL 04/18...

Length
    Chin/APL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Horrible shedding/hair loss (the cause of which, I'm still not 100% sure) so bad it resulted in bald spots and major thinning. That was about 2.5 years ago. Cut it to shoulder.
    Lady Scarlet of the Whispering Philosophes in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    18 in/29 in/45 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

My last big chop was the first time I had ever cut my hair short. I had decided I wanted to try shorter hair and cut it back from between mid-back and waist length to shoulder length. I didn't really like it... Kept it the summer and let it grow out after that. I don't know, I think short hair makes me look shorter... anyway, back at waist length and dreaming my way to classic length.

Length
    4/TBL/CL+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I had various shot cuts for a long time, my one really big chop what from knee or nearly knee, to waist, and then into a bob when I was 15. I'd had long hair almost all of my life and wanted a change.

I intend to be thought elegant, glamorous and extremely vulgar, because nothing is so glamorous as vulgarity, and there is nothing so vulgar as elegance.

Type
    3a/F/M/i/ii

Wow, so many different reason everyone has done it, amazing.

For me, I was living in Africa and had lost most of my hair, due to stress, (very) poor nutrition and the antimalarial drugs I was on for over a year. My one saving grace is that I have pretty curly hair and after it dried, it still looked way bigger than it was. Seriously, I was getting majorly depressed over how much I had lost.

So I got a cut, granted, I had only been down to just past my shoulders, but I got it cut and it was basically up to my chin, which for me is REALLY short. It made it look better though and helped me get through the hot season. About that time, my mom started sending me biotin and I began eating them like skittles, shorter hair also ended up meaning that the little baby fuzzies had a shorter distance to grow out.
    Lady Emyn of the Red Mountains in the Oder of the Long Haired Knights
    "Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?"

Length
    4"/6"/waist
    Type
    1b/M/ii

After having my baby last year I didnt have as much time to style my hair so id part my mid back length hair, pony tailed and braid it. I
    t didnt look flattering on me and I sort of looked a lot older than what I was, plus it was a chore to find time to wash it seeing as baby liked to be awake mostly as night. So chopped it to my shoulders, this is after having the ends bleached into ombre because I felt my hair was so boring, still didn't like it so shaved it off with clippers into a sort of pixie and hated it until it was a tiny bit longer and shaped a bit.
    Its just as well I lost the attachment and cut it because a few months later I was diagnosed with cancer and now currently bald! Everyone was fussing worrying id be upset bald but I was looking foreward to it because I was planning on cutting shorter anyway!
    Now ive got the short cut phase out my system I can look forward to growing it out again when im done chemo lol