Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Braid without using an elastic

Length
    APL?/TBL/100cm
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: Braid without using an elastic

I can imagine on some people that might work but I wouldn't use it as a regular thing as for people with hair that isn't as straight and slippy as mine it seems like it would be a pain to detangle afterwards. In my hair that just doesn't work as for a few days after wash my braids don't stay well even with a hairtie. This technique might leave one separate tangle but no braid for me.

If a longer haired person wants to do that I imagine it would work if you braid normally by separating the sections until there is about as much length left as that lady has to braid and then do as she does.

Hip ---- BCL -- TBL -- 100 cm of hair!
    Growing my virgin roots since the end of 2011. Maintaining at TBL+ in 2015!

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL+
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by maskedrose View Post
    My hair is wavy enough that if I'm ever in a pinch I just braid it and it usually stays. It will get looser over the course of the day and the ends come unbraided a bit, but then I just take 2 seconds to rebraid and off I go
    Yes! Same here. I usually don't even need to tie my braid off if I'm putting it up in a bun or even if I sleep in just a braid (I toss and turn a lot in my sleep, so that's an accomplishment).

Having tapered hair also helps with that as the braid gets tighter the further down it goes and if I want to have a more secure braid without a hairtie I can go all the way down the very ends

Length
    13-15/29/32-40
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Organic braids are fantastic for my grabby and borderline-wavy hair, but it's just too thick for organic braids even at hip-length. About three or four stitches in, it gets so stiff I can barely pull it through, and then I've only got half the length braided anyway. So, yet another factor that messes with this tutorial. :P
    Length: Hip-length waves (May 2014) || Optional: TBL - Classic

Lady Ursa, Daughter of the Sea, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

These days I always braid without using an elastic, but my (grabby) hair would be in a right state if I used that method. I just braid normally to near my ends, and then stop and let my waves and general hair-grippiness take over. Works well for me.

Length
    CBL/Hip/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I tried this the other day and it definitely did not work for me....my hair didn't "tangle" together at all at the bottom while I was braiding it. I guess that is probably a good thing though!