Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can fine hair be worn loose all the time?

Length
    16"/36"/50"+
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Can fine hair be worn loose all the time?

If it is really driving you nuts, let him know, if he wears it down he is responsible for the tangles, then he can get them out. Wonder how long it would take him to start wearing it tied back?
    (besides if it is this bad (tangling) now, what will it be like when it gets longer?)
    If you can't stand the heat, don't tickle the dragon

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I wear my hair down 90% of the time and am happier with it; it looks thicker and I can show off the waves when it's down. Up, it's almost impossible to get smooth and lying nicely, and I get terrible "scalp cleavage" so I look like I am balding. Add to that fuzzy layers, baby hairs, and bangs, and I have to re-do updos constantly, so they are a lot of work as well as being unflattering.

Personally the best way of dealing with my unruly, wavy, fine hair is to clip it up when out of the house, then take it down when indoors. This helps encourage the waves, and I also get to enjoy it. As a cyclist, I like keeping it out of the wind as much as possible.

My BF is also a finie, though thick and curly, and he wears the same hairdo (ponytail) most of the time. His biggest problems are dry ends (which no updo would stop) and matting at the crown (ditto).

So yes, if you are careful and treat your hair well, I think you can wear it down. I do notice that if I want my hair to look good, I have to wash it more often - every 2-3 days instead of every 4-5.
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Type
    1a/F/i

I wouldn't have thigh length hair if I wore it loose, and I've got stick straight, fine Scandinavian hair.

My hair tangles if I look at it hard, so putting it up is a necessity now, but I'd often wear it lose when I was approaching waist.

I suppose it depends on how long your husband wants his hair, and if he's willing to comb it himself

Nini

My friend's most impressive fourth ever braid on real hair a week after first learning, february-23.

Type
    1b/F/ii

Of course you can wear fine hair loose all the time, but it will most probably affect the amount of length you can gain and the overall quality of your hair. If you want longer hair, past waist and want it to look good, I think updos, some way of securing your hair and preventing tangles, are necessary.

Length
    --/tb/--
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

You say you're braiding his hair at night; does that mean he's sleeping with it braided? I'd find having it tied up 24/7 uncomfortable, too. Maybe he'd be better off sleeping with it loose and then he'd be able to stand wearing it in a ponytail or braided during the day.

wg

Length
    18"/MB/MB
    Type
    1a/F/ii

This may be irrelevant - but does he cycle a lot around town, or ride a motorbike? If so that would (obviously!) make the knots worse. My Swedish hairdresser used to say to me "Yes, yes, you have very Swedish hair!" and I never knew what she meant until now.

Recently I went on a training ride (on inline skates) with another girl with long straight BSL hair. Her hair is not as fine as mine. She wore hers in a pony tail and it looked great fanned out across her back, and my pathetic, twisted and frayed braid looked horrible in comparison. Next training skate I wore a ponytail. Oh man was that a mistake!! Took me 2 hours to get a comb through my hair afterwards and I pulled a bunch of hair out in the process . Never again.

So maybe your BF can wear it braided or tucked up during windier times/activities, to reduce the knotting, but it wouldn't have to be up all the time.

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Thank you for all the tips! I guess tangles is unavoidable for his hair type. His problem is he only knows how to do a ponytail. I think I'll have to force him to learn some simple buns or braids. I can't be chasing him around to put his hair up all the time. Of course loose does look good on him, it looks thick and wavy. When I put it into a braid or bun it shrinks so much you couldn't believe that big mass can fit in there.

He doesn't ride motorcycle or anything. Mostly an office guy. I gave him a horn comb and a wooden brush for using at work. I think he rarely use them. He's only a couple inches away from goal length, so hopefully it shouldn't be much worse. Maybe I should work on finding a better leave-in for him.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I have fine hair and wear it down almost every day. I use Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship and my hair almost never tangles. It seems that cone shampoos actually work very well with fine silky hair.

Type
    2a/2b/F/iii

I almost always wear mine loose, and it's superfine. I can sit on mine though, which can cause issues, so I'm starting to try to wear it up more often, at least to avoid the yank from sitting on it.

that said, I notice those super wide tooth combs are good for my snarls - the ones that look like a fish spine and only half the ribs. are those detangling ones? anyways, I use one tooth to pick at the snarl until it comes undone - works great so far and water helps too. I don't know why but if I soak my head in a shower or something before I comb out really bad snarls it helps immensely.

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I very rarely wear my hair down, purely because whenever I do the tangles (and their related damage) would stop me growing it longer. Oiling helps me, but my hair doesn't react well to cones. If he's happy with not getting much past mid-back length, and fairytale ends, I'd say let him detangle it and don't worry yourself.