Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Never knew I was curly!

Length
    BSL/clas/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Never knew I was curly!

Like you, I never knew I have wavy to curly hair until I was nearly in my 50s (could it be one of the few perks of menopause?) and also the waves start (usually) below my ears. (If I clarify, and use no conditioner and rinse and leave in catnip tea and slightly finger comb while air drying, the waves start up near my scalp.) My bangs are still straight! I discovered the waves when I was out raking leaves in a misty rain for a few hours and when the hair dried it was all kinky. I think, at first, I even blamed the rain water.

Your hair color is similar to mine. I call it blondish brownish and it also glows reddish in the sunlight, and there is a thread called blonette. There is an ongoing controversy about what can be called blond and some one came up with a brilliant definition - if your hair was blond as a child and you have blond eyebrows, you can call yourself a blond.

Length
    SHL/SHL/APL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Very interesting Lunalocks, I was born a redhead and changed to a blond as a toddler. But my eyebrows match my hair color? But my hair does glow reddish in the sunshine - a bit more like apricot than an orange though!
    I think I might belong in the blondettes What color are your eyes? Mine are blue/green. Maybe the past blonde is where the tawny is coming from.
    I also find it interesting that your hair waves start at the same place as mine, too!

Quote Originally Posted by lunalocks View Post
    Like you, I never knew I have wavy to curly hair until I was nearly in my 50s (could it be one of the few perks of menopause?) and also the waves start (usually) below my ears. (If I clarify, and use no conditioner and rinse and leave in catnip tea and slightly finger comb while air drying, the waves start up near my scalp.) My bangs are still straight! I discovered the waves when I was out raking leaves in a misty rain for a few hours and when the hair dried it was all kinky. I think, at first, I even blamed the rain water.

Your hair color is similar to mine. I call it blondish brownish and it also glows reddish in the sunlight, and there is a thread called blonette. There is an ongoing controversy about what can be called blond and some one came up with a brilliant definition - if your hair was blond as a child and you have blond eyebrows, you can call yourself a blond.

Length
    24/32.25/Dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I also discovered I was a wavy later in life (early 40's). I attribute that to my own and everyone else's expectations of my hair. If I think back mindfully, I can recall my hair prone to frizziness and wave if left to its own devices instead me combing the wave out of it or using silicones to forcing it into submission. I treated it as if it was straight for years, but always had frizz. I don't think it's hormones, I personally think it's our own denial of our hair type and what we've been conditioned to expect. One of the qualities of wavy hair is for the wave to start around or below the ears. It's not due to damage; this is just a natural property of wavy hair.

Since I discovered I have wavy hair, I have been embracing the wave instead of fighting it, and I can honestly say my hair is in much better condition now and the frizz I always fought with is non-existent. I see our hair type as having the best of both worlds. You can get it pretty close to straight naturally (and it has shine and sleekness) and it definitely will hold a curl when you need it to. What could be better?
    DweamGoiL

1c - 2a / f - m / ii | current length = 32.25 inches - working for a thick blunt hemline

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I see a couple of near-ringlets in there. I think 2C might be exactly your type. More length will tell. My hair didn't form ringlets until somewhere between APL and BSL.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

I would say probably 2b. I always knew I was quite wavy, but didn't realize I was actually curly until more recently. After eight months or so of CurlyGirl, I'm even curlier than I was last spring. Mostly 3a, but more and more 3b as well. The more conditioned and moisturized your hair is, the more wave/curl you'll see.

Length
    SHL/SHL/APL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Yes, Dreamgoil, I think you are right about finally embracing our natural hair. I think I probably did everything wrong as far as encouraging the waves. Like you, if I blow dry my hair it appears as if I used a flat iron and I don't even own one.
    I think the older you get the less you care about trying to look "glamorous" and more about just being yourself. Hence my growing out major blonde highlights and going to my natural hair color. I was tired of being something that I wasn't!

Quote Originally Posted by DweamGoiL View Post
    I also discovered I was a wavy later in life (early 40's). I attribute that to my own and everyone else's expectations of my hair. If I think back mindfully, I can recall my hair prone to frizziness and wave if left to its own devices instead me combing the wave out of it or using silicones to forcing it into submission. I treated it as if it was straight for years, but always had frizz. I don't think it's hormones, I personally think it's our own denial of our hair type and what we've been conditioned to expect. One of the qualities of wavy hair is for the wave to start around or below the ears. It's not due to damage; this is just a natural property of wavy hair.

Since I discovered I have wavy hair, I have been embracing the wave instead of fighting it, and I can honestly say my hair is in much better condition now and the frizz I always fought with is non-existent. I see our hair type as having the best of both worlds. You can get it pretty close to straight naturally (and it has shine and sleekness) and it definitely will hold a curl when you need it to. What could be better?

Length
    SHL/SHL/APL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I can't wait to see how it looks when it get longer! Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I see a couple of near-ringlets in there. I think 2C might be exactly your type. More length will tell. My hair didn't form ringlets until somewhere between APL and BSL.

Length
    SHL/SHL/APL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I know absolutely nothing about encouraging wavy or curly hair - now I want to find out more! You've got my curiosity peaked!

Quote Originally Posted by jeanniet View Post
    I would say probably 2b. I always knew I was quite wavy, but didn't realize I was actually curly until more recently. After eight months or so of CurlyGirl, I'm even curlier than I was last spring. Mostly 3a, but more and more 3b as well. The more conditioned and moisturized your hair is, the more wave/curl you'll see.

Length
    24/32.25/Dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

You can go to naturally curly.com to find out more. It will be trial and error. Things like going CO work for some, but not for others. For me, for example, I could not do CO so I compromised. I wash 2 times/week with sulphate free shampoo and scrunch and pineapple my hair to sleep with a light natural gel. That brings out my wave and keeps my hair at its best. The type of conditioner is really important too. I chose one with no cones, but that is light because I have fine hair and so on. So, it will take some experimentation, but my point is you don't have to follow the Curly Girl Method to the T. Do what works for you!
    DweamGoiL

1c - 2a / f - m / ii | current length = 32.25 inches - working for a thick blunt hemline

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Yes, there is experimentation involved. I can get curls just about any way, but have found that the most lasting (that is, less frizz) routine is to just CO, use a little conditioner as leave in, a small amount of hard-hold gel on top of that, and then cover with a silk cap and let it all dry overnight. My hair tends to be floaty, so some frizz is inevitable, but I've just learned to live with it.

ETA: Wanted to say that I can actually get my hair fairly straight(ish), to 2a or 2b, with oiling and brushing and time. Or at least I used to be able to. Just for fun I combed my hair out dry the other day and it looked like a puffball.