Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: At What Length Did You Begin To Get Split Ends?

Length
    Pixie/Waist/35"?
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: At What Length Did You Begin To Get Split Ends?

I don't count because I always had splits from damage when it was a pixie until I grew it all out virgin. Now I'm starting to get splits at bsl/midback. It could just be my hair type or from being lazy and wearing it down inbetween apl-bsl. Either way I'm concerned and microtrims will become a must! I don't use heat and I take good care of it so the white dots drive me up a wall. I think I need to be more gentle when washing in the shower. I'm going to assume my splits/dots are mechanical damage.
    _1b / F / i/ii__... Forever Growing _
    Chin SHL APL BSL Waist Hip BCL

Account Closed by Member Request

I started to get splits after I hit waist length

Length
    16 in/16 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    I am almost at waist and so far have found 2.

I keep my hair bunned all the time and sleep with it loose in a sleeping cap, I detangle with a wide toothed comb once a week on wash day.When my hair is in a bun you can't tell that it hasn't been combed and the bunning and sleep cap keep tangles to a minimum.
    Your hair is so beautiful so I have to ask this question. Did you say that you comb your hair once a week? Do you brush your hair during the week?
    High Priestess Milkthystle of Glowing Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    16 in/16 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    I am almost at waist and so far have found 2.

I keep my hair bunned all the time and sleep with it loose in a sleeping cap, I detangle with a wide toothed comb once a week on wash day.When my hair is in a bun you can't tell that it hasn't been combed and the bunning and sleep cap keep tangles to a minimum.
    Your hair is so beautiful so I have to ask this question. Did you say that you comb your hair once a week? Do you brush your hair during the week?
    High Priestess Milkthystle of Glowing Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

An inch? Probably less... I've found splits on my body hairs even!

I wear my hair up and handle it gently, s&d with sharp scissors, never use heat, never bleached or such, but I still get splits. Most are not even at the ends, but through my length. I can s&d every day and still always find more. When I have done henna that seemed to help. More likely it just masks them of course!

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    Buzz/Pixie/Happy
    Type
    1b/F/ii

As far as I can remember, no noticeable splits regardless of length until I bleached it. However, before the bleach, I knew less about hair and wasn't as paranoid about breakage. I can almost guarantee you though that my hair was in pretty darn good shape, considering my mom [who has the exact same hair as I do] completely abuses her hair and still gets next to none unless she goes too long without a trim.

I am almost at APL, and I do still get occasional splits and bends. This may or may not have to do with the fact that their is still bleached hair on my ends. *shrugs*

Split ends probably aren't as much of a big deal as we LHCers make them out to be. They're just a part of having long hair.
    If you'd like to never, ever get split ends, you need to either be blessed with coarse hair, or keep it super short. But even at that, no guarantee!
    Even the healthiest of hair splits some times, but that's what trims are for.
    Just trying to get by

Length
    Bob/BSL/Hip+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I didn't get splits until I was at MBL and then it was just a few. I'm hoping that I don't get any at all now that I won't be growing out bleach/heat damage.

Pixie - Ear - Jaw - Chin - SL - CBL- APL- BSL - WL - HL - TBL

Length
    13/35/40
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

My finies have always had splits, except maybe when I kept it chin length. It looks like most of them have white dots or tiny splits. Except the longest hairs, somehow. The ones highest up are at APL, I think. I have never S&Ded, only trimmed. But I'm thinking of getting a pair of scissors for S&D today.

Length
    0-2/37/42
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii

I have a rather split-prone hair even though my hair is coarse, sadly. I didn't use much conditioner (or any oil/anything else moisturizing) in the past, though, so hopefully my newer, more pampered hair will have less splits in the future.
    I have virtually reached APL (95%) and I find a few splits if I look for them, but it isn't very easy to find them... yet.

Length
    Hip/Hip/?
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I'm pretty sure my hair would be full of split ends even if it was pixie length. It seems like no matter what I do, they're always there.