Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extra care for the face framing hair?

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Extra care for the face framing hair?

Hi,

I've recognized that my hair close to the face (do you call it face fraiming? I'm not naitive English) seems to be more dry and damaged, and when I braid it that section always seems thinner.

How can I protect this part of my hair more?

I always have my hair up in some sort of bun, I don't feel comfortable with it loose! Should I oil more? Some smart hair styling? Someone else having the same problem?

Thank you!

Misschilly
    I love to learn about hair care! <3
    CO/Love up dos!/Hip during 2014?
    Camilla

Length
    Bob/BSL/Hip+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Default Re: Extra care for the face fraiming hair?

My hair was like that too and I just added some extra leave in and some coconut oil and it seemed to help some. Have you tried trimming it a little bit to get rid of the damage?

Pixie - Ear - Jaw - Chin - SL - CBL- APL- BSL - WL - HL - TBL

Length
    Pixie/Waist/35"?
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I have the same problem, my hair is extremely fine and thin regardless but the face framing pieces either have a short terminal length or are so susceptible to damage that they are frail in dry. I'll be waiting for more answers!
    _1b / F / i/ii__... Forever Growing _
    Chin SHL APL BSL Waist Hip BCL

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Lyv View Post
    My hair was like that too and I just added some extra leave in and some coconut oil and it seemed to help some. Have you tried trimming it a little bit to get rid of the damage?
    OK, I will try to baby it a bit more! Yeah I micro trim at least every 3 months=)
    Camilla

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Do you use any special styles for sleeping? I suspect that the hair at my temples is the hair that has most contact with the pillow as I sleep and that might be one reason that I have a lot of flyaways and shorter hairs in that area. I'm not sure how to protect those hairs from friction though.. I have a satin pillowcase but I don't always wake up with my head still on it! I usually frenchbraid or sleep with my hair loose, but a sleep cap would maybe be better?

Then, most people have shorter hairs around their face. It might be that those hairs have a different quality than the rest of the hair.

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by askan View Post
    Do you use any special styles for sleeping? I suspect that the hair at my temples is the hair that has most contact with the pillow as I sleep and that might be one reason that I have a lot of flyaways and shorter hairs in that area. I'm not sure how to protect those hairs from friction though.. I have a satin pillowcase but I don't always wake up with my head still on it! I usually frenchbraid or sleep with my hair loose, but a sleep cap would maybe be better?

Then, most people have shorter hairs around their face. It might be that those hairs have a different quality than the rest of the hair.
    I had my hair up during sleep for a long time and in a braid untied in a satin cap for the past months!
    Camilla

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Extra care for the face framing hair?

This may be due to two issues. First, the hair that constitutes the face-framing layers tend to be finer and silkier than the rest of your hair, and this makes it more delicate and susceptible to damage.

Second, to create face-framing layers, hairstylists often create them by separating that section of hair and "slicing" a razor or a pair of scissors down the length. This technique often creates lots of splits. With very coarse hair and a very sharp pair of scissors or a razor, this shouldn't happen, but that's not the case in most instances. Whenever I have a hairdresser do this for the layers in the front, it's split ends galore within a month.

The next time you go for a trim, ask them to snip or cut in layers rather than doing the razoring or slicing technique. In the meantime, baby your hair and make sure to protect it from friction which can cause more tangles and breakage.

Length
    ~Wst/TBL/~Cls
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I've never noticed this; if anything, I think my face framing bits look better than the rest of my hair because they get the benefit of the sebum more than my length. I can't speak for what hairstylists do with layers, I just decided how long I wanted them and *snip* with the scissors, no fancy cutting.
    Wavy, wurly, sometimes curly; on my way to healthier, longer hair!

~Waist → Hip BCL TBL Goal: TBL+ V hem

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I wonder if it's genetic. My face-framing hair is naturally lighter and finer than the hair at my nape (much thicker hair strands), even at the very roots. I think lots of people have the same situation. It's possible that the canopy hair is more exposed to the elements (e.g. UV) and grooming (brushing, styling), and that hair ends up being more fragile.

Length
    MB/WL/WL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Yup! Mine too! Its worsened because my stylist did just what Hintofmint described above. They split quite a bit after a haircut last April (my LAST professional one!) and, although I S&D and microtrim, these layers are shorter than the rest of my hair. These hairs are also more delicate and seem to generally suffer more. I wear a sleep cap at night and bun my hair during the day, which helps some. I also use coconut oil on the ends....but any other ideas would be appreciated!