Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Color dilemma and a huge request (with some pics)

Length
    16 in/16 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

Default Re: Color dilemma and a huge request (with some pics)

For fast hair growth I recommend diatomaceous earth. It gave me a real boost in growth for about 2 months and then I went back to normal. I still take DE though for other health reasons.
    High Priestess Milkthystle of Glowing Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    bsl/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyGhost View Post
    My hair is very similar to yours. I'm a natural dark ash brown and I dye to copper red. My hair is nearly tbl and has been even longer in the past. I used to dye the whole length every time because red fades so fast. I got tired of the damage at the ends and wanted to grow even longer but I can't get rid of the red hair. I started just dyeing the roots with permanent hair dye ( loreal feria copper shimmer) and using henna and vegetable based dyes to combat the length fade with minimal damage. The only problem with using henna is you have to like henna red and stick with it. I used to go from auburn to deep red to copper but I can anymore. I find copper suits me best so I'm ok with it.
    That is ingenious! I too have naturally medium/darkish brown hair, and feria copper shimmer is my absolute favorite red color for my hair/skin tone. But, it does fade like crazy, and the constant re-dying really is rough on the ends after a while. When I looked into henna before it looked like henna over my natural color would be too dark/burgundy-toned for what I prefer for my hair. Plus, henna sounds like waaay to much work for monthly touchups. I could, however, see touching up the roots with the copper shimmer (which lightens my hair several levels) as needed and hennaing just a few times a year. Going to have to look into this idea. Thanks!

Just letting it grow ravenheather's Avatar
    Length
    16/23/Term
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I would totally henna if I were in your shoes.

Going for terminal, but also enjoying wearing my hair down and curly.

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

do you bleach the whole length every 2-3 dyes or just the roots?
    Cut hair 11.06.2013 to CBL. Patiently waiting for it to grow back strong and healthy.
    Photo taken 12.04.2013

Hey guys, thank you for the attention. I think there is no point in starting a new thread, so I'll just write here.
    I really like the idea of henna, but I realised that since I won't probably use it soon, I can make the best of the fading.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinLeigh View Post
    do you bleach the whole length every 2-3 dyes or just the roots?
    t
    2-3, sometimes 3-4 but over the difference gets sillier, because in the beginning my hair has this magenta'type of dark red before it washes out to the usual red.

I am, in general, the absolute ombre hater, but that is mostly because IMO dark sharply turning into platinium/golden blonde looks silly. But, recently realised that, if it's done right, the slowly fading red color might look really nice.

My idea is some kind of a reverse-ombre, in which, instead of bleaching my ends, I will leave them fade as much as they want to, while slowly darkening the upper parts. I think it is something that might work better if I do it in the process of, let's say, 3-4-5 dyeing/bleaching sessions, I believe it is an alternative way of slowly causing less and less damage while still being redhead/

I will try to be more specific about my idea:
    -My hair is red right now. Not firey, screaming red, nor ginger. It's just... red.
    But it will fade out after some time and all of it will go light copper red. Then:
    -I'll dye/bleach only 2/3 of thee length, completely leaving the ends.
    It will probably look something like this:

I'm not really fond of that exact, but I know it will wear out and looks less... pink.
    -Do the same, but this time with less than 1/2 of the length and with a bit darker and less intense color, while the rest of it keeps fading and blending.
    -Repeat until reaching a pretty dark scalp hair going down to pretty light ends. Then I will just maintenance it without bleaching with some dark auburn tones.
    -Probably at some point I may bleach the last 2-3 inches or less, just to finish the look, but I can do that to them after they start getting in need to be cut to prevent future regrets.

So what do you think?
    from roots to ends: dark auburn > red (the one that looks most natural, but still not ginger) > ginger (natural. not orange) > strawberry blonde
    Will that make me at least a bit of a firehead?
    Last edited by Kikina; January 10th, 2014 at 02:48 PM.