View Poll Results: If scalp seems okay with sulfates, would you choose sulfate or sulfate-free shampoo

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sulfate shampoo, with SLS as the main ingredient in it

12 16.22%
  • Sulfate shampoo, with SLES as the main ingredient

8 10.81%
  • Sulfate shampoo, with both SLS and SLES as the main ingredients

5 6.76%
  • Sulfate-free shampoo, liquid form

31 41.89%
  • Sulfate-free shampoo, shampoo bars

7 9.46%
  • CO washing

19 25.68%
  • I would choose cheese

15 20.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If your scalp seems okay with sulfates, would you choose sulfate or sulfate-free

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    ~sldr/18/22-25
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default If your scalp seems okay with sulfates, would you choose sulfate or sulfate-free

As some of you may know, I started a thread about needing help to find out what my scalp likes. While I am working on figuring it out, a thought that has crossed my mind is what shampoo to stick with if it turns out my scalp does not seem to mind sulfates. I thought about asking the more knowledgeable people here on LHC.

So, if your scalp seems okay with sulfates, would you choose a shampoo with sulfates in it or a sulfate-free shampoo? And if your scalp is bothered by sulfate or by sulfate-free shampoos, but this was not the case, which type of shampoo would you choose?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: If your scalp seems okay with sulfates, would you choose sulfate or sulfate-free

Over here you can only find shampoos with SLES as the main ingredients. Some have both SLS & SLES and those (Pantene, Herbal Essences) are about the harshest shampoos we have on the market here.

I would go with the sulfates, but then my scalp needs harsh cleansers. I can't go mild, or my SD acts up (rather big crusty flakes).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: If your scalp seems okay with sulfates, would you choose sulfate or sulfate-free

I'm ok with sulfates, so they don't bother me. I choose my shampoo mostly by scent. If it seems to be drying or irritating in some way, I don't usually know why, but just know not to buy that particular shampoo again. I guess I don't really understand the question. If you are not bothered by sulfates, why would you choose to avoid them?

Length
    pixie/pixie/??

I love Paul Mitchell shampoo one.

Length
    ~sldr/18/22-25
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kelikea View Post
    I'm ok with sulfates, so they don't bother me. I choose my shampoo mostly by scent. If it seems to be drying or irritating in some way, I don't usually know why, but just know not to buy that particular shampoo again. I guess I don't really understand the question. If you are not bothered by sulfates, why would you choose to avoid them?
    Kelikea, I do not know for sure if my scalp is bothered by sulfates or not. This poll was just started more as a way to try to get opinions of LHC members on which direciton to go with shampoo if my scalp is indeed okay with sulfates in shampoos.

As to the thread title being confusing, I thought that might happen. For some reason, LHC would not allow me have enough characters in the thread title to fit the word shampoos into the title of the thread.

I would love to know from those of you who do use sulfate shampoos, which ones tend to be liked, via not as harsh??? I want to try working one in at least once a month.

Length
    ~sldr/18/22-25
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Mamaherrera, I think that when people who do use sulfate shampoos choose their shampoos they try to find ones with gentler ingredients. SLES is said to be gentler than SLS and people say that baking soda is harsh for use on hair (has higher pH than skin and hair) but from my chemistry classes I know that with weak acids and bases the weaker the concentration of ions in the undissolved solution, the stronger the concentration of ions in the dissolved solution. I am not 100% sure how this relates to pH but as soon as I find out I plan to do a post on this as I think that shampoo bars may not be as harsh as some people (on this site and on other sites claim they are).

Length
    BSL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

My scalp isn't bothered by sulphates, I chose to go sulfate-free because sulphates dries out my length.
    1a/m/ii, going to classic!
    Ficcare Database - send me your photos by PM!

Length
    SL/APL/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I would test carefully not only how the scalp reacts but also how the lengths do on sulfate shampoo, because as Magalo mentioned, I would be afraid that they would get dried out.

It wouldn´t bother me to use sulfate shampoo if my scalp and also lengths seemed OK with it, from personal experience though my scalp gets more oily (= i e needs washing more often) and my lengths get more dry with sulfate shampoo, so I use diluted liquid sulfate free.

Length
    12/CL/52
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Magalo View Post
    My scalp isn't bothered by sulphates, I chose to go sulfate-free because sulphates dries out my length.
    Yep, this. It's about the length, not the scalp.

Hair in Sunlight

Kindness consists of loving people more than they deserve.