View Poll Results: What would you do? -please read my post before voting, thanks!-

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cut back to APL and grow back to BSL, repeat until layers/hendigo colour are gone.

5 11.63%
  • Grow to Waist and cut back to BSL, repeat until layers/hendigo colour are gone.

1 2.33%
  • Stay at BSL and trim growth every 3 months until layers/hendigo colour are gone.

25 58.14%
  • Grow to Waist and then trim growth every 3 months until layers/hendigo colour are gone.

12 27.91%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trimming schedule - what would you do?

Length
    shld/27.5/fairy
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Question Trimming schedule - what would you do?

I have layers that I want to get rid off (most of them anyway) and hendigo colour that turned greenish from about shoulders down. Right now, my hair is touching BSL with layers starting at just above the shoulders. To get rid of everything at once, I would thus have to cut just above the shoulders, which I obviously won't do. But I do want to hold on to a sensible plan/schedule to remove the layers and colour. My hair is overal quite healthy, so actual damage (like dry or split ends, tangles or even matting) is not an issue here. Healthwise I could just continue to grow, but it is the shape and colour that I dislike.

My options are in the poll above, what would you do?
    Or do you have another option ?

My next trim is scheduled around October 6th (MM lengthening) and that is when I want to start with the first trim. I want to trim every 3 months, whether that are micro-trims while growing, or larger trims when maintaining or going shorter.

Some more background information:
    My ultimate goal is fairytaling at fingertip, but I do not need to get there ASAP. The growing and enjoying the benefits of different lengths are part of the journey.
    I do like waist- and hiplength on me, but I am also very charmed by the pictures I have from 2003 when I was at APL with almost one-length hair. One-length/blunt hair is absolutely not my goal, I do want long layers to lighten my full/fluffy hemline. I cannot keep some of my current layers because of the colour.

So, how would you go about it ?

I set the poll to close at October 17th, as I will start my trimming schedule by then. Replies are welcome after that though!
    Last edited by Niphredil; September 7th, 2008 at 02:04 PM. Reason: mentioning limited voting period.
    ~ Regrowing & Growing-out Henna ~ Current Length | 25.4" (May 2012)
    shld | apl | bsl | wst | hip | tb | class | ft
    Lady Aibell of the Silent Song Harp in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Trimming schedule - what would you do?

I would trim every 2-3 months until the hendigo/layers are gone. I'd try to gain length while I trimmed, though; I wouldn't maintain at any particular length.

Length
    shld/27.5/fairy
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I would trim every 2-3 months until the hendigo/layers are gone. I'd try to gain length while I trimmed, though; I wouldn't maintain at any particular length.
    You mean something like trimming 50% of growth every 2-3 months ?
    That is indeed an option that I did not yet thought about....
    I will try to add that to the poll if that is possible!

Thanks!

ETA: seems I can't edit the poll. Can mods do that?
    If so, would one of you add this as an option 'Trim 50% of growth every 3 months until layers/hendigo colour are gone.' ??
    TIA!
    Last edited by Niphredil; September 7th, 2008 at 02:12 PM.

Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I voted grow to waist. But I think mini trims along the way would be a good thing. I think your hair is lovely, and from your profile pic the color differences from the root to ends isn't that drastic. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    "If you’re bothered by every rub, how will you ever be polished?”- Rumi

Length
    shldr/shldr/70 in
    Type
    2c/M/iii

I'd trim off my growth monthly, in your place. I know it's not on the poll choices, but self trimming/bribing a friend monthly would let you maintain at your current length and get rid of the henndigo. Personally, I'd find that much less traumatic than getting 3-4 months of growth and cutting most of it off, but that's just me. If you don't mind the loss of length, keeping in mind that your standard updos might not work with all one length hair at a shorter length, I'd cut to apl, grow to bsl, repeat. That strikes me as the easiest way to do it.
    Growing my hair back out after some much-needed experimentation and with a color I love!

Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I wasn't thinking in as precise of terms as "1/2 my growth every 3 months". More like every 2 or 3 months, get a 1/2" trim. I had long layers put in at BSL and loved it at that length, despaired of how thin it made my ends look at longer lengths. I kept going in and getting a trim approximately every 3 months, and now the layers are completely gone or blended so well into the length as to be in-apparent.

Length
    shld/27.5/fairy
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
    I'd trim off my growth monthly, in your place. I know it's not on the poll choices, but self trimming/bribing a friend monthly would let you maintain at your current length and get rid of the henndigo. Personally, I'd find that much less traumatic than getting 3-4 months of growth and cutting most of it off, but that's just me. If you don't mind the loss of length, keeping in mind that your standard updos might not work with all one length hair at a shorter length, I'd cut to apl, grow to bsl, repeat. That strikes me as the easiest way to do it.
    I do trim my hair myself (Feye's method for U shape, have been using that since I started growing for the first time in 2003). I like to trim every 3 months because I know I tend to get carried away while trimming and trimming more than I should. By trimming only 4 times a year, I feel do not focus on trimming as much. I also measure every 3 months only for the same reason. I'd rather see the avarage of 3 months, than the 'no growth this month' if it is only a unpunctual measurement. I have been to APL (and shorter) before, so I hope updo's or other styles won't be a problem ( I can make a fig8 with APL hair btw).
    But thanks for your input!!

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I wasn't thinking in as precise of terms as "1/2 my growth every 3 months". More like every 2 or 3 months, get a 1/2" trim. I had long layers put in at BSL and loved it at that length, despaired of how thin it made my ends look at longer lengths. I kept going in and getting a trim approximately every 3 months, and now the layers are completely gone or blended so well into the length as to be in-apparent.
    Ah, I see. I guess that is what I have been doing ever since I cut the layers Jan 2008.
    I feel like I want to do something with more immediate results. Instead of babysteps (yes, I know Flylady ).
    Thank you, though, I think our hairtypes are somewhat similar also!

Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Niphredil View Post
    Thank you, though, I think our hairtypes are somewhat similar also!
    I was poking around in your photo album a minute ago, and I believe you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Niphredil View Post
    (yes, I know Flylady ).
    You said Flylady

And I voted waist and maintain but I would have voted cut half the growth if available.

Length
    shld/27.5/fairy
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Still, every time I look at the pictures I have from 5 years ago, I prefer to cut to just below APL (65cm that would be) and trim back to the 65cm every 3 months until I'm satisfied....

argh, I hate being indecisive...