View Poll Results: What would you do? -please read my post before voting, thanks!-

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cut back to APL and grow back to BSL, repeat until layers/hendigo colour are gone.

5 11.63%
  • Grow to Waist and cut back to BSL, repeat until layers/hendigo colour are gone.

1 2.33%
  • Stay at BSL and trim growth every 3 months until layers/hendigo colour are gone.

25 58.14%
  • Grow to Waist and then trim growth every 3 months until layers/hendigo colour are gone.

12 27.91%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trimming schedule - what would you do?

Length
    buzz/ear/apl
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Re: Trimming schedule - what would you do?

I voted "grow to waist and then trim every three months," though I think I agree more with Spidermom in that you should try to gain length while you trim but that wasn't one of the poll options.

If your ultimate goal is fingertip it seems like the best thing to do is to gain as much length as you can while getting rid of the ends that make you unhappy.

Ultimately it is your decision, so do whatever you think will make you the happiest during the growth process.
    "Equations are the devil's sentences!" ~ Stephen Colbert

Length
    1mm/term?/:/
    Type
    3b/C/ii

I think if you do not like a blunt cut, what I would do is to cut an U or V hemline with the shortests parts, at the sides, at APL. Then grow and repeat as you see fit.

Length
    26/30/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

You seem to have been happy at APL, and then the indigo and the layers wouldn't bother you as much. I think I'd do that, but I am known to be a fan of drastic measurements If not, I think gradually trimming off some of the growth is a good idea, as others have said. However, there is something to be said for quick results and immediate satisfaction too. I guess it depends on how traumatic you find a cut.

Length
    Shldr/BSL!/waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Your profile pic looks just fine...I have at least 3 levels of layers, and I plan to grow towards waist with about 1' trims every few months until the layers are all even.

Length
    shld/27.5/fairy
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

ah yes, that profile pic does look good. but the layers are somewhat hiding beneath the longer length. They start from about the shoulder. Also, freshly henna-glossed and in direct sunlight, the darker part isn't as obvious as it is too me on a day-to-day basis.

I think I like more directly visible changes indeed, as you say Samikha.
    I had been hovering between shoulder and BSL for ages before the first grow-out in 2003. And after my last mayor cut in fall 2006, I have been between that shoulderlength cut and BSL since.

I do like long hair, I like my hair long. But I am not really focused on gaining length ASAP. I like to enjoy the shorter stages, and not like 'oh, I wish it was already BSL because I hate my hair right now' or something. There are quite a lot of styles one can wear with APL-BSL length hair, even at my thickness and 'horizontal volume'.

I think I feel more comfortable losing the colour and layers before growing past BSL. This time, it really is a journey and I want to enjoy the journey at least as much as the ultimate goal. Even if it includes one or more detours
    ~ Regrowing & Growing-out Henna ~ Current Length | 25.4" (May 2012)
    shld | apl | bsl | wst | hip | tb | class | ft
    Lady Aibell of the Silent Song Harp in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    14"/38"/??
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I voted for stay at BSL and trim every 3 months because you don't seem worried about getting your hair longer right away, and my experience is that freshly-trimmed ends always feel nice, so while you gradually got rid of the hendigo and got your layers to where you want them, you'd be rewarding yourself with constantly refreshed ends. Also, if you do want to eventually get your hair longer I think BSL hair will give you a better place of reference for what will look good as it grows out than APL. But you should really go with whatever feels best to you.

Length
    shld/27.5/fairy
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

I like to thank all that have voted!
    I still don't know what to do. Probably just a mini-trim in October (.5" at the most). I can trim more next time (early Jan 2009) if I want to.
    ~ Regrowing & Growing-out Henna ~ Current Length | 25.4" (May 2012)
    shld | apl | bsl | wst | hip | tb | class | ft
    Lady Aibell of the Silent Song Harp in the Order of the Long Haired Knights