Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help! stretching between washes?!

Default help! stretching between washes?!

maybe this is my bad because I read Self magazine :-) ... but I picked up the new issue last night (the one with Miranda Kerr on the cover) and there was a "hair myth/truth" section. One of the myths they had listed was that stretching between washes was actually bad for your hair and could cause it to fall out (if stretching 3 days at a time or more). I do NOT want to believe this since everything I have ever read or heard up until this point says the EXACT opposite ... that washing less often allows your hairs natural oils to be retained and therefore equaling healthier hair in the long run. Someone please assure me that Self magazine doesn't know what they are talking about!!!!! I stretch about 4 days at a time now.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: help! stretching between washes?!

What a bunch of rubbish! Honestly! If you washed your hair everyday, you'd soon have hair like hay (unless you put something on it to restore the natural sebum you washed out).

There's nothing wrong with stretching washes. Washing hair once a week isn't bad for it. Stretching longer is fine so long as you keep the hair healthy by brushing or combing it daily..and taking steps to keep it covered when outside (less chance for it to pick up stuff from the air).

By their reasoning, I would have been bald years ago! I wash once a month and have never had any problems.

thank you! that is extremely reassuring to me. i shed alot naturally I think so as I'm reading the article and they say "stretching any longer than 3 days between washes can cause itching, flakes and your hair to fall out" I was absolutely shocked!! I should have know the article was somewhat BS considering they said washing with sulfates is good for your hair. O SELF magazine!!!

Type
    1c/2a/M/i

The majority of this magazine's reader probably style their hair daily using store-brought products such as hairspray, mousse, etc. I would imagine that the build up from these products wouldn't do the hair much good if it isn't washed out often enough May haps this is what they were referring to when they said stretching washes is damaging.

For me, it's all about the natural oils!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    SL/BSL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/F/i

Was the article sponsored by a shampoo company by any chance?

Type
    2b/M/iii

I think there is a LOT of misinformation about caring for your hair..both in magazines and on the Internet.

You didn't fall for it...but a lot of people think "Well, blah blah blah thought it was a good idea to do X to my hair so I'll try that!". Some people are just desparate enough to try anything.

The streching washes doesn't work for everyone...some can only stretch to X number of days. There are a lot of factors that come into play when you stretch your washes. I used to shampoo once a week religiously and never had any trouble..except for the always present tangle trouble. But I got tired of having to deal with that..so started stretching...over a period of months...until I could stretch for 30 days with no problems. I do brush every day with my bbb, plus keep my head covered a lot.

If you can stretch your washes for more than a week, more power to you! Sure beats washing the dickens out of it every day! (not to mention hair loss from manipulating the hair to remove the shampoo and conditioner (if you use conditioner).

I think my success in stretching washes is that my scalp is normal (slightly dry) and I don't put anything on it. Less stuff on your hair means less stuff gets on it. My sebum is enough to keep it looking healthy and shiny.

Length
    8 in/41/45 +
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

Well then, I should have NO hair because I wash every week and sometimes go 2 weeks without washing.

Unless you have sebborreic dermatitis or something that needs cleansing, you don't need to wash your hair that often.

My hair is REALLY thick, as you can see in my siggy.
    Last edited by leslissocool; November 27th, 2013 at 12:07 PM.

Lady Ligeia of the Wandering Oleander in the order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

The key is to figure out what works for your scalp. Some people can stretch washes to once a week or once a month. Some people really do have to wash their hair more often, otherwise they risk sore scalps, itchiness and other nastiness.

The problem is, these magazines are just... dumb. They're dumb. They're veritable minefields of misinformation, little to no research, and the shallowest treatment of already frothy material. They're pretty advertisements in a bound copy. And I LIKE magazines. I like looking at pretty things. I also like Velveeta mac and cheese (because 'merica!). I think the two are related.

So really, I wouldn't worry about under or overwashing your hair. You'll be fine not washing as often as this magazine says, and you'll be fine not stretching your washes to infinity.

Length
    24 in/48in/term
    Type
    1b/F/i

I know it's not the "look", but I really like my hair oily. I know it's protected and conditioned. It's not likely to dry out, split, break etc. I want to let my hair enjoy it's natural oils as long as I can, and since I wear it up almost always, why would I want to remove the protective oils every other day? No way. I spent years washing twice a week and then started stretching to once weekly and my hair is healthier than it has ever been. You kind of have to trust those of us in the long hair trenches, so to speak, rather than those who are eager to sell, sell, sell.

Length
    Pixie/Class/???
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I had a hairdresser tell me that one time lol. My family and her family went on a vacation together once and she noticed I co-washed my hair. She warned me that my hair was going to start falling out. I had increased shedding at the time so I actually stopped co-washing for a while just to make sure lol

I suppose it depends on the person. I have dry scalp that comes and goes, and as of winter a week is just about the maximum I can stand without flaking out :P I could go wayyy longer if flakes weren't an issue because then I could BBB Although that doesn't mean my hair/scalp is less healthy. If I washed more, I would just be covering up the problem by drying out my scalp even more while washing the loose flakes away momentarily. And my scalp is only itchy when it's freshly washed :P

Pixie BSLMBL WL HL BCL TBL CL??????????
    semi-hiatus, computer is broken