Thread: Itchy scalp after hair dying

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

Default Itchy scalp after hair dying

I use chemical color and get an itchy scalp for a few days afterwards. Sometimes I end up scratching my scalp and get little bumps that hurt. Chemical dye didn't use to bother my scalp at all so I am wondering why it is now. I've noticed that as I am getting older my skin is becoming more sensitive. Is it PPD that is causing my scalp to itch after hair dying? I've been leaving the hair dye on longer than I probably should so I get a deeper color, so could that be why I am getting the itchies?

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Itchy scalp after hair dying

Sorry, I feel your pain! I get terrible scalp burning when using chemical color, even at expensive salons! I have since sworn off chemical dyes.

It does sound like you might be having a reaction possibly based on PPDs. Do a little patch test on your inner elbow, that will tell you for sure.

Type
    1b/F/ii

It's perfectly possible to suddenly become allergic or sensitive to something you've previously used with out problem. I became allergic to hairdye myself and I got increasing problems with an itchy, red and sore scalp and I had to stop.

The good news was that it made me do my homework and I switched to using henna and indigo as a replacement, which for me has worked out very well. I'm not saying this process is for everyone, as it's a bit long-winded, but for me it was the right decision. If you want to look into this, start with Nightshade's henna article on this site and also look at hennaforhair's webpages. It's possible to get black hair or very dark brown shades using this process. You will need to do a lot of reading about this before you try it, assuming you want to, but I just wanted to say that there are alternatives to conventional PPD dyes out there that work particularly well for those that want darker shades.
    Lady Rocais of the Nightwing locks in the Order of Long Haired Knights

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Yes, I have also used henndigo successfully, and now I'm using henna and katam to get nice dark brown. I do have some itchiness with indigo and katam, (maybe henna too, but I never use it by itself so I don't know!), but nothing as bad as the burning scalp I had with chemical dyes.

You can become sensitive or have a severe reaction to PPD at anytime, I'd say that the irritation you're experiencing is a warning... My scalp is now doing a similar thing (very irritated, red, itchy, kinda burning) after using hair dye... I won't be using it ever again.

Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I had the same happen to me. Until I had a lot of gray it wasn't a problem. I used to put the color on my hair (not the scalp) and didn't have to color very often because the roots didn't show much. Now I have to cover the roots very well, touching the scalp. I got the itchies so bad I had to stop the chemical dyes. I am now experimenting with alternatives and my scalp is much happier.

Length
    pixie/shld./BSL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Be careful! Allergies can develop out of the blue and they can also get severe without warning. Do a patch test -- if you get a similar reaction you should really stop using the dye entirely.
    2a F ii

Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

I just dyed my hair again today. I tried leaving the dye on a much shorter time and rinsed and shampooed it out very thoroughly. I don't have the itches today as bad as I was getting the previous times I've dyed. I sometimes use henndigo but it doesn't seem to change the color of my hair. It maybe adds a tiny bit of a red tint. The double process of henna and then indigo just seems too much for me. I think I will stay with chemical dye but try to keep it off of my scalp as much as possible and keep in on a shorter period of time. Thanks for your replies!

Length
    chin/SL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I hope everything goes well for you.
    I've been colouring my hair every 3-5 months with demi-perm at a salon to blend in my greys.
    The last time I coloured I noticed a bit of itchiness, too, even though demi is supposed to be milder(though I assume it still has PPD)I'm now scared to colour-but-( I hate the greys)
    I have been seriously thinking about switching to henna/indigo b/c I can't stand the greys, but sounds like SO much work(as you mentioned), but I may henna down the line. The permanancy of the henna scares me too. If you don't like it, you have to grow or cut it out. Lot's of strand testing I guess. I'm doing lots of research now.I have no one to help me apply it.
    Yes I think leaving the dye on your head for less time is best, hope you don't get itchies this time
    Last edited by Babyfine; September 8th, 2008 at 11:54 AM.
    Trying to grow my babyfine hair long/working on going natural

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I had read online about adding sweet N low to hair color if you have a problem with itchies. I hadnt tried it but my recent colorist uses it on me now, and I dont have any scalp problems at all. It doesnt effect the color. I think she uses 4 packs now, but told me she could use more if I was still having a problem with itchies. You can do a search about it online it is a common practice and it really helps me.