Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brace yourselves, Winter is coming...

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Brace yourselves, Winter is coming...

Today was the first real chilly day of the season up where I live. My face felt frozen and the air was cold and dry. So my first thought, of course, is how will this affect my hair?

I realized that I'd have to put my humectant-loaded leave-in conditioner away for the season and switch to a more emollient based leave-in. Until I find one--right now I'm thinking of Aveda's Anti-Humectant Pomade--I'm sticking to oils for now.

So how do you change up your hair products or routine in the winter?

Length
    8/31/45
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Brace yourselves, Winter is coming...

I use a bit more of my Macademia hair oil than normally, and I make sure to keep it braided if it's not in an updo to keep it from overdrying. Also, wear a hat. I own so many cute winter hats (granted the dollar store near me sells adorable ones for $3 each so every once in a while I treat myself!)

Lover of Rainbows & Curls Quixii's Avatar
    Length
    0?/knee+/knee
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

Honestly, my hair seems to go like this for the seasons:
    Winter: Oh, it's cold and windy and rainy, I better wear my hair up to protect it from the elements and keep wet hair off my warm neck
    Spring: Oh, it's really rainy, I better wear my hair up because my hair looks terrible when it's been rained on
    Summer: Oh, it's really hot, I better wear my hair up so I don't get over heated
    Fall: Hm, the weather is pretty good, but I think I'll wear it up just to protect it
    Knee+ length! Lady Gelôs, Keeper of the Silken Aulaeum in the Order of the Long Haired Knights <3

Length
    Chin/???/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Where I live, winter primarily means rain...rain, and yes, more rain. Rain.

I'm typically more concerned with keeping it up in a way that allows for the hood on my gore-tex jacket to be yanked up over my head at a moments notice. I hate wet hair.
    "There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish the light of one small candle." - Spanish Proverb
    Hip length to Pixie, now growing long again. Currently past SL, heading to APL.

Length
    28.5/39/45
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

How do you ladies wear your hair under winter hats? Mine always seems uncomfortable.

has notorious buns Wildcat Diva's Avatar
    some kind of hunting lodge for rich weirdos
    Length
    16/35/real
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I like wearing a calorimetry, so I can still wear buns and hairtoys.

Length
    8/31/45
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Double post... somehow an hour apart. NO idea how that happened except that I hit "post" and then went to take a shower and wash my hair. Whoops. Sorry!!!

Anyhow, I find braided updos easier to put under hats than non-braided ones. They're less likely to get messy when I remove said hat.
    Last edited by ShieldMayden; November 3rd, 2013 at 08:53 PM.

Lover of Rainbows & Curls Quixii's Avatar
    Length
    0?/knee+/knee
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by sunflowersmiles View Post
    How do you ladies wear your hair under winter hats? Mine always seems uncomfortable.
    I either wear as flat a bun as I can and just shove it under there, or wear hats or warm headbands that accommodate buns (such as my bun-hat).
    Knee+ length! Lady Gelôs, Keeper of the Silken Aulaeum in the Order of the Long Haired Knights <3

On the hunt for terminal. SerinaDaith's Avatar
    Colorado is my physical home but I spend a lot of time in my mind. It's safer that way.
    Length
    .5 in/.5 in/term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I live in a dry climate so oil is a year round thing. I try to make sure it's dry before going out in the cold. A bunch of years ago I had swimming in the middle of my day for high school. I would have my hair freeze just from running from swimming class to whatever the next class was. I don't want to repeat that. I am not a hat person so even though I knit and crochet hats I make for myself tend to get given to others. I need to make some sort of slouchie baggy hat and see if I will wear it.
    Lady Seredhiel in the Order of the Longhaired Knights. Current body mark: BSL+, Goal length, terminal.No trims in 2013. Henna head. Crazy craft guru.Crunchy Mommy.

Length
    Short/IDK/Hip
    Type
    4b/F/M/ii

I have started to add honey and oil to my deep conditioners to keep my moisture up. I also got some extra scarves to wear underneath my hats. I plan on adding some braid extensions this week as my protective style for the next 2 months.
    IMHO, one can never have too much conditioner. ~Proverb from a PJ~
    Lady Bey of Twilight Cloud in the Order of the LongHaired Knights