Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smelly hair, Smelly hair! What are they feeding you?!

Length
    19/25/35
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Smelly hair, Smelly hair! What are they feeding you?!

Silly title but an actual issue I`ve started experiencing. I guess, first, HI EVERYONE! I`m Desiree and I`m new here. First time poster, long time lurker with not even an avatar yet. Sad.

So I have a pretty consistent hair routine. I like to shampoo and condition my hair about three times a week. I usually air dry my hair unless I`m in a rush and it is freezing out. I do ACV rinses and today I actually did a BS clarify and ACV rinse for good measure. So here is my issue: The last week I have noticed a FUNK coming from my wet hair. Right after I wash it smells like a wet dog who just got a perm who is running with a dirty dish towel. It smells strange. I thought MAYBE it was the water so I did a test of mixing(separately) my shampoo with the shower water in a bowl and then the conditioner. No funk. Okay. I thought maybe it was my towels, so I washed them and got any funk out of them. Nope. My hair still smells funny when wet and I`m a tad distressed about it because I`ve never had this happen before. I will mention that I had a thought maybe it was due to something internal like hormones as I do have PCOS and battle with bouts of hormonal madness from time to time despite being on the dreaded pill. So I come to everyone here for some help. Help, help, help! Have you ever experienced something similar? Any suggestions? General thoughts about my smelly wet hair? (eww). I came across this article:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...-Syndrome.html
    which suggests even a fungal infection? I have a cat as well that I share living space with but have for about ten years and have never had anything like this happen so I`m not sure it is anything like that. Maybe? Oh my. So...help please. Thank you!!!

mother of microtrims :P
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Re: Smelly hair, Smelly hair! What are they feeding you?!

I was going to suggest a fungal infection!

Do you have any kind of flakes, build up or itchies, even if only slight?

sorry..I have nothing to offer...other than...I LOVE Friends. eep!

Hope you can find a solution for your issues.

Length
    buzz/chin/waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I have no suggestions, but just wanted to express my love for Phoebe.
    current length: chin/bob growing out undercut | first goal length: BSL

Length
    19/25/35
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Emichiee,

I DO have dandruff on and off and I`ve noticed some itching lately but nothing that I haven't experienced before... Ahhhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Emichiee View Post
    I was going to suggest a fungal infection!

Do you have any kind of flakes, build up or itchies, even if only slight?

On the hunt for terminal. SerinaDaith's Avatar
    Colorado is my physical home but I spend a lot of time in my mind. It's safer that way.
    Length
    .5 in/.5 in/term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Is it possible that your water is super mineral rich? That can leave some smell behind. We are on a well and while the water is filtered it still has some scent to it. I have an aversion to my own natural sebum smell so I have been known to dilute a nice essential oil in water with acv and mist my hair between washing when I am really working on a new level of stretching washes. I don't know if that would help you at all.
    Lady Seredhiel in the Order of the Longhaired Knights. Current body mark: BSL+, Goal length, terminal.No trims in 2013. Henna head. Crazy craft guru.Crunchy Mommy.

mother of microtrims :P
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Desiree_S View Post
    Emichiee,

I DO have dandruff on and off and I`ve noticed some itching lately but nothing that I haven't experienced before... Ahhhhhhhhh
    There you go! That could do it. Flakes and itching are common, but not normal. Sometimes a yeast infection can not even be noticeable. My hair line was affected by fungus and my skin looked and felt completely normal, but under my doctors UV lamp you could see it was yeast. There are different types of fungi.

Anyhow you can use something like Nizoral shampoo, or another potent brand with the same ingredient. Or if you prefer anti fungal cream (monistat and the like). Slightly diluted it can be applied to the scalp.

Length
    1/10/26
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

O.K. Now I'm worried. My scalp is more often than not flaky and I get build up and itching. Water is extremely hard where I live and I often get sweaty from exercising. Could build up, itching and flakiness be considered normal in my situation?

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

If you have dandruff you could try to scritch your scalp to loosen the flakes use an anti dandruff shampoo and Monistat. I found those things helped mine. Monistat is an antifoungal.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    2/29/30
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I also suggest you use Monistat or Daktarin. My scalp was itchy and flaky for years, with occasional "funk" and even pimples. I used diluted Daktarin two times a week for about a month and it cured my scalp completely. And after a while hair starts growing like crazy which isn't bad either
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better. (S. Beckett)